Setting up FTP server! Please help!

• Thread starter Thread starter Selva
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 10,500

Selva

ISP
Airtel
Hi Friends! i am from chennai and use Airtel 256K Unlimited plan. I wanted to setup FTP Server @ home and check how it works. I am not a network buff, so i checked all the articles, i was finally able to set the server and able to connect to it successfully. The problem arises when i try to connect from using external IP. i checked the following correctly so far. 1. Port forwarding2. Firewall (both windows & Third party) 3. Configuring and using DynDNS since i have dynamic IP. The part where i am stuck (i think, may be i am wrong) is making my box static instead of dynamic. I use D-Link (GLB-502T ADSL2+ Router), when i try to change from DHCP to static IP in my windows network connection options i get no options for TCP/IP settings. I use Windows XP home edition. It also shows my network adapter in windows as "Network Bridge". I would like to know what is wrong here. How could i change the IP of my adapter when it's not showing TCP/IP options? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

it seems u're connecting in PPPoE mode...use the bridge mode and see if something changes...just note that "Network Bridge" and "Bridge Mode" are two different things...

if u want to make ur ip static frm dynamic ....use no-ip.com....read there.....u wil be able to setup a static ip here....so there is no problem of changing ip

Thanks for the reply friends, i forgot to mention i already use DynDNS service for the dynamic IP option. So i don't think no-ip is needed here.

However the link page of no-ip gave me some more insight, thanks to it. I came to to know that sometimes the external address won't work on intranet. So could some one help me test this ftp site?

ftp://selva.serveftp.net/

(i have got some good e-books for u to download 🙂, if u r interested!)

Last edited by a moderator:
it seemed working, but i don't know uname and passwd. How did you manage to get it working ?

It's not working Kanny, that stupid thing you saw was HTTP (web server) not FTP server. You could cross check it by the URL protocol (you would see http:// instead if FTP://) That bloody thing is my router login page.

I need to know if anyone with D-Link GLB-502T ADSL2+ Router had set up FTP server successfully. Please help me. :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Simplest option would be to use the modem in "Bridged mode" that would then require you to use a PPPoE dialer from your PC to connect to the net, the IP address would then be assigned to the computer directly. In this case the modem acts as a router only, forwarding any and all packets straight to your PC. You would however also need to use a software firewall to protect your PC. Check and see if it helps. 🙂

Thanks Karan, That sounds very logical. I have rock solid software setup as far as firewalls/AVs go. I use Bitdefender/NOD32 with Kaspersky as standby 🙂. So should be fine as long as security goes. Let me try this option in my router, haven't tried it before. Just have couple of doubt, the broad band guys never gave any software dialer (i mean custom one for PPPoe) could i download it from anywhere or we could configure it directly in the PC? and,Since my PC's IP will be the router's IP how will i access my router address (which was previously 192.168.1.1) if i run a webserver for example, that will take my home page as default address right? I am a little confused. Anyway to give you a complete picture i have GLB-502T ADSL2+ Router with Airtel and i have connected it to switch and use Access Point with my laptop for wireless LAN. Just to let you know, in case if this setup makes any difference from connecting to router/modem directly to PC like most of the home users do. Any helpfull link even would help, I will reply once i try it out, thanks again.

Get RASPPPoE. You can find install instructions on the site, if you still need help, I'll help out.

PPPoE will do a pass through dial up over Ethernet, you can still access your modem using the same IP i.e 192.168.1.1. So from the outside i.e the Internet your Public IP (assigned by Airtel) will be accessible only, remember like i said in the above post, your modem acts like a router only in this case.

I am not sure about your laptop though, i have never used a wireless setup before. Maybe someone else who has could help you on that?

Thanks for the reply karan, you are not completely clear to me. I have put my modem in bridge mode as you said. I also manually created the dialer in XP (let's set up RASPPoE dialer as a next step) i am able to connect with firewall on and everything seems to be fine with connection.

My current IPconfig shows 192.168.1.2 as before (when i was without bridge mode). Isn't it supposed to be the same as of my modem/router 192.168.1.1? From outside (internet) i was able to reach my router before when it was not in bridge mode now that also doesn't work, i mean http://selva.serveftp.net/ would take me to my router page.

Am i missing something here? FYI DHCP server in router is still on. Should i turn it off? Any help would be appreciated. If you want other info or screen shots i could provide. 😕

My current IPconfig shows 192.168.1.2 as before (when i was without bridge mode). Isn't it supposed to be the same as of my modem/router 192.168.1.1?

Two devices can never have the same IP address, or else there would be a conflict. The modem acts as the gateway, hence, the IP address is 192.168.1.1. Since you have DHCP on, it assigns your NIC the next free IP i.e 192.168.1.2. Being in bridged mode or not has nothing to do with the assigning of this IP address.

From outside (internet) i was able to reach my router before when it was not in bridge mode now that also doesn't work, i mean http://selva.serveftp.net/ would take me to my router page.

Well that is a good sign, it means the modem is forwarding the connection request directly to the PC and not handling it by itself, i.e showing its page. You may want to check and see if your Firewall isn't blocking the inbound connection attempts to your FTP program. Are you able to access your modem's page using 192.168.1.1?

Am i missing something here? FYI DHCP server in router is still on. Should i turn it off? Any help would be appreciated. If you want other info or screen shots i could provide. 😕
I think you should turn of DHCP and assign a static IP in the same range(same IP as assigned by DHCP even) to your NIC, that could help.

I think your firewall is the main culprit here.

rightthe best thing is to backup the site on the first server and ask the new server guys to migrate the site for you.it becomes a lot easier if both the servers have same control panel (plesk, cpanel, directadmin).this forum is on cpanel most of my other sites are on directadmin.

Two devices can never have the same IP address, or else there would be a conflict. The modem acts as the gateway, hence, the IP address is 192.168.1.1. Since you have DHCP on, it assigns your NIC the next free IP i.e 192.168.1.2. Being in bridged mode or not has nothing to do with the assigning of this IP address.

I understand now.

Well that is a good sign, it means the modem is forwarding the connection request directly to the PC and not handling it by itself, i.e showing its page. You may want to check and see if your Firewall isn't blocking the inbound connection attempts to your FTP program. Are you able to access your modem's page using 192.168.1.1?

Yes, i am able to access my router page correctly. Only from the outside now it's not showing router login page so i guess it's forwarding the request page to my PC as you suspect.

I think you should turn of DHCP and assign a static IP in the same range(same IP as assigned by DHCP even) to your NIC, that could help.

I think your firewall is the main culprit here.

I will check my firewall in depth. Also double check my port forward settings for FTP. I will post the status in couple of days.

Apart from these there is one more problem. I am not able to change the TCP/IP settings of my network card. It's listed as network bridge (as type) in network connections. But don't have network bridge icon listed for me to remove the adapter from. It only displays General tab when i go for properties and doesn't show the options of TCP/IP even in greyed out mode.

I have many times uninstalled and reinstalled the adapters uninstalled TCP/IP modules from Windows setup etc. Still no luck. Anyone know how to remove the adapter from network bridge settings? Or shall i just ignore this for now? Cause changing the TCP/IP settings to static through NIC settings is impossible cause of this problem.

Thanks for the reply subhash, I want to set up FTP server for my personal use. I am little confused with what you are talking about. I am NOT having a website to host.

Thanks for the reply Sushubh, I want to set up FTP server for my personal use. I am little confused with what you are talking about. I am NOT having a website to host.