Setting Up Connection In Ubuntu Linux

Apoorv Khatreja

Super Loser
ISP
Reliance Thunder 1099 4 Mbps UL
I recently installed Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft). As I am a user of DSL NU plan, so I use the bridged mode to automate my downloads by dialling a connection. But I am not able to configure this in Ubuntu. Could anybody help me out? Is there anybody who has had the same problem with any flavour of Linux?P.S. - I have a UT 300 R2U.

Goto Network connections in Ctrl panel >> Create a new connection >> connect to the internet >> setup my connection manually >> connect using broadband connection that requires username & password >> Put in the ISP name ie MTNL >> put in ur username and password >> add a shrtcut (will make it easy to find after setting up the connex.)
[/b]

This is how I created the connection in Windows, thanks to cyberwiz. I've been able to change the DHCP to a static IP, which was mentioned in above quoted post, but I'm unable to figure out how to make the connection for dialling.

after you set up bridge mode....use the command ¨sudo pppoeconf¨ to configure the connection

buddy do you really need the bridge mode? why the specific requirement? we can work around it cuz the regular mode is much less headache than the bridge mode.

Totally agree with max on this one... 🙄 couldnt you just schedule like the rest!

I really do need the bridge mode, at least in Windows i do. In Windows, it's much more easier to schedule the reboot. The telnet method was pathetic. Moreover, at anytime of the day, if i have to reboot, i just have to disconnect the connection. That's all.

1) This method requires a hard router reboot. In layman's terms, this means that you will see the green lights on your router turn off, and then light up again after some time, once the router is done rebooting. Connecting and disconnecting in bridged mode does not need a hard reboot. Who knows, this may even prolong the life of your router in the long run

2) When the above script runs, you will be disconnected from the net, but will be connected right away automatically once the router finishes rebooting. There is no way to tell the router to just "stop" but don't reconnect again, using this script. With bridged mode, I can stop and start my connection independently whenever I want.

3) With the default PPPoE mode, you are always connected to the internet, as long as your router is turned on. In bridged mode, I can disconnect, even though my router is still on, and reconnect again whenever I want.

4) Overall, the bridged method is a much cleaner, faster (no waiting for router to reboot etc.), and elegant solution.[/b]

Maximum speed over torrents which u might/might not get over the other mode.

No hassles of portforwarding for any application. for eg some voip applications like microsoft portrait dont traverse NAT very well.

U have the added advantage of greater control over your internet connection..u can connect and disconnect with a click from the tray...no reboots needed. U know exactly when ur connection is on and when its not..with the router its always on..if u have microsoft updates or antivirus/firewall updates enabled..they might get updated even without ur knowing it..consuming precious day-time MB's[/b]

Its not too difficult to get a dialer for PPPoE connection in linux. U can use rp pppoe from http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/open...roducts/rpPppoe

After installing the tar.gz u need to feed the username password into it and then use the command from the shell ie. pon dsl-provider to establish the connection.

I am not very good with linux perhaps max and aniketvb, the "linux guyz" can help u out further with this or u can browse the net for more help in configuring "rp-pppoe"

after you set up bridge mode....use the command ¨sudo pppoeconf¨ to configure the connection[/b]

OK, I did this. I was able to connect and get my connection running. It asked me whether I want to dial this connection on startup. I accepted it. But what if I want to switch-off the modem in b/w ad then reconnect?

@Cyberwiz

As you may remember, I have quite a lot of problems in connecting and I hardly get connected in a single attempt.

@ECHO OFF

:loop
Echo Trying to Dial your connection.........
rasdial DSLname username password

if NOT %ERRORLEVEL% ==0 goto failed

Exit
:failed
cls

Echo Failed to connect....will retry

goto loop[/b]

Can you write a similar program for Ubuntu? Or could you suggest a program like Free Download Manager which would do the job? I'm so desperate because I'm fed up of buggy Windows XP. My friend introduced me to the concept of open source software, and since then, instead of downloading wares, I download a freeware open source alternative, which is generally better. I started using Ubuntu about 3 months back, and since then, I've started to lose interest in Windows and gain more and more interest in various Linux distros.

If u need to disconnect the connection simply type poff at the terminal. I am not aware of a GUI for rpppoe or any other pppoe software having GUI for Ubuntu. U can try ur luck at www.ubuntuforums.org

If you download latest version (3.8 I think) of rp-pppoe from roaringpenguin site...it has a GUI.Just install from source in the usual way and then use command "tkpppoe" for GUI or pon/poff from command line.

I still can't figure out why you people are telling me about this crap. I want to AUTOMATE my downloads, and before that I want to find a way to make a connection for the bridged mode. I need something (a task) which I can schedule. If I had to disconnect on my own by typing, why would I post this topic.

after you set up bridge mode....use the command ¨sudo pppoeconf¨ to configure the connection[/b]

I can get the conection to run temporarily by this, but soon the connection gets disconnected. And if I redial the connection by typing 'pon dsl-provider', I keep getting a new connection everytime with names like ppp1, ppp2, ppp3 and so on, which keep on piling up in the networking dialog.

If the connection gets disconn like this , mebbe its a fault with your modem or connection. coz I am using pppoe in Ubuntu/Fedora without any problem for the past 3 years.You should check in the file /var/log/messages for messages related to pppd and pppoe to find out the cause of your disconnection

If u need to disconnect the connection simply type poff at the terminal[/b]

For doing that I have to be present at my computer. What I want to do is schedule the downloads like I do in Windows.

I wasn't able to set up that rp-pppoe dialer. I downloaded the .tar.gz, extracted it, ran the executable text file (it was something named like 'go' or something) but I was unable to install it. Has anybody used it before?

@max
Ok, if you really believe that the bridge mode is pathetic, then please help me out with the regular mode and how to set it up in Ubuntu. I've searched the forum already, and I haven't found a convincing way to automate downloads in Linux.

to install it , you need to be root!! The security is really tight in linux man!use "sudo ./go-gui" to install the stuffOr better, you should help yourself by reading the README and INSTALL files in the tar package you got

QUOTE(Apoorv Khatreja @ Dec 7 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]70446[/snapback]
For doing that I have to be present at my computer. What I want to do is schedule the downloads like I do in Windows.

I wasn't able to set up that rp-pppoe dialer.
[/b]

Apoorv,
After reading ur post, I too thought to go for bridge mode after resisting it for so long. All I can say is "Iam loving it!" 🙂. Your message topic says u r running Ubuntu as like me. If so then u don't have to install anything. I run kubuntu. (K)Ubuntu comes with pppoe package preinstalled(not sure if it is roaring penguin one or no), if not u can install it. Then follow these steps:

1. run sudo pppoeconf (first time only) and answer the questions.
2. when it asks to run at boot say *no* so that u can control the modem manually.
3. Then whenever u want to start the connection type: pon dsl-provider
4. for off'ing it type: poff.

Now comes the main question. How do you automate it. This is where I too was in doubts but not helpless. All Linuxes come with a program called "cron" (I am sure u must have heard it). So simply setup cron with whatever time u want to run the above commands.

I have fully automated my downloads using Azureus and I can now proudly say, I am enjoying my sleep 🙂
Best of luck.