Setting up a Home Network

• Thread starter Thread starter tillo4
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 3,006

tillo4

I've been thru 21 pages of MTNL Broadband but saw no solution. So here it is. Ive 2 AMD PCs running win xp pro sp2. My pc inbuilt ethernet port connects to a minihub of 8 UTP ports (no uplink port). The minihub connects to the other PC's inbuilt ethernet port too. The adsl also connects to the minihub via a cat5 crossover cable, whereas the PCs are connected by straight thru cat5 cables. The emphasis is on the xross n str8 cat5 cables. OK so far. The adsl lights up showing the ethernet connection as ok as does the adsl also.The minihub light shows my PC (the nearest 2 the hub n modem) as well as the adsl is connected light. The other PC just does not get indicated at all on the hub. So I tried a direct connection to the adsl from the other room PC with a str8 thru cat5, still no luck. All the NICs r working fine. Require URGENT help. Thx guys. 🙁

i think you should try this config...

Code:
ADSL modem---------->Minihub------------>Comp 1                         |                         |                         v                     Comp 2
let me know if that works....enjoy!!!! 😀

also, tone down ur signature a bit...

I guess coolbuddy has given u a perfect diagram. With d current setup u r creating a totally wrong n/w with parallel paths between same 2 pc's (Comp1 & Comp2). This causes something called ARP clash. coolbuddy has given an ideal STAR n/w for 3 nodes.

i might be wrong but i think tillo4 has created the network exactly as it should be and its the same thing wat coolbuddy has suggested.Where & how does he create parallel paths between two pc's? Somebody Enlighten Me !

Im sorry cyberwiz (i interpretted sumthing wrong).....i guess he's connected it correctly. BTW tillo4 u r saying all d NIC's r workin fine...how have u tested them. I mite b silly...but have u tried connecting both d pc's via cross cable & chked d connectivity.

what kinda hub is it? Some hubs dont have autosensing ports and they require either straight or cross over cable...

First things 1st. Wow the response u guys gave sure gives me a warm feeling that I'm not on an deserted island (palm leaves wearing swaying girls included LOL). Ok Coolbuddy please notice that I've resized the sig. Lastly i've done all the things suggested The hub is D-Link DE-809TC 8 port minihub WITHOUT uplink port. I'll try connecting the 2 PCs NICs with the crossover cat5, but when the str8 was not connecting what will xover do? All the same thx guys n keep the suggestions coming. Any tweaking reqd with the adsl 502T sware?

Just chk the response for PING LOCALHOST in both ur PC's. If u recieve a REPLY & not a REQUESTED TIME OUT then d NIC's in both ur PC's r fine. Also 2 PC's r always connected via cross cables, str8 cables r used when u connect them 2 hub/switch. Actually str8 & cross depend on d RX & TX pin connectivity in d N/W devices. Keep us updated.....

It can either be the wire or the NIC itself that has gone bad. SOmetimes even the pci slot can get corrupted. Try putting a new NIC in to the PC thats not connecting..

tillo4...u have still not replied whether u have done d basic testing which i had suggested in my prev post.