Server Disconnection/Timeout in Games, Internet Hangs on all devices new FTTH connection

• Thread starter Thread starter Alpha018
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 118
  • Views Views 12,069
yes, when packet loss happens on TCP the packets are re transmitted. In case of games, this may result in timeouts.

If OT issue is resolved, I would like to put update about my issue again 🙂
Most devices and Laptop continue to have internet connection. But internet connection is lost on mobile and tablet when I try to install or update app from Google Play Store. After app starts downloading, internet connection is lost. But internet is working on other devices. I have observed this behavior almost 8-10 time on 2 mobile and 1 tablet. If I reboot router, connection is resumed, else connection is automatically resumed on that device after sometime.

Seems the problem is at bsnl end (4th hop)?
I think that just means that those routers have rate limited ICMP replies. If there was really packet loss on those hops, it should have been reflected in all further hops as well - as every packet from further on, transits through those routers to reach the OP.

Most devices and Laptop continue to have internet connection. But internet connection is lost on mobile and tablet when I try to install or update app from Google Play Store. After app starts downloading, internet connection is lost. But internet is working on other devices. I have observed this behavior almost 8-10 time on 2 mobile and 1 tablet. If I reboot router, connection is resumed, else connection is automatically resumed on that device after sometime.
something to do with dhcp leases maybe? increase it to maximum (24h or so) on that TP-Link. or try assigning static ips to all your devices

Reactions: SVK
^^^ Default lease time was 2 hours. I changed it to 48 hours which is maximum value it accepts.
Let's see what happens.

I had this exact same issue . It was solved after changing my mtu to 1460 from 1492.

@hemant so what should be causing the packets retransmission...it is really giving me pain now since at the exact moment...i cannot attend meetings, video calls or anything and it comes back in 5 or 6 seconds..just like a hang state

I had this exact same issue . It was solved after changing my mtu to 1460 from 1492.
My connection type is PPPoE and MTU is set as 1480 (which is default, and warning also given to not change it).
Should I set to 1492?

something to do with dhcp leases maybe? increase it to maximum (24h or so) on that TP-Link. or try assigning static ips to all your devices
This did not work.
I changed DHCP lease from 2 hrs to 48 hrs, yet when I started app updates on my mobile from Google Play Store, after 2 apps were updated, Internet disconnected. Mobile was connected to WiFi and its MAC was displayed in DHCP client list. But there was no internet connectivity.
I turned WiFi OFF/ON, still no internet on my mobile (however Internet was working on other mobile and Laptop).

^^^ Yes, I can open Router Interface on mobile while Internet is not working.

My connection type is PPPoE and MTU is set as 1480 (which is default, and warning also given to not change it).
Should I set to 1492?
set it at 1460 and check .

If you want to find the optimal mtu value check this thread :