Series Of Question On Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter saketram
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 1,732

saketram

Hello,

1. Please tell about the installation procedure. Is it difficult to install? I am MCA graduate. Can we successfully install and configure the ADSL modem by only using the given manual with it?? I am using both Windows 98 and Fedora Core 5 Linux.

2. If I should go for BSNL technician for installation by paying installation charge Rs.250, and installed and working well. But in later time, if I had to reinstall the operating system, will I again need their assistance and paying installation charge a again.

3. What are the special features we can get by enabling DMZ option in ADSL modem??

4. I had seen some of posts which complain about the modems, like frequent disconnections, over heat, etc. Which company modem do you prefer and type of modem?
[I have Ethernet card and USB v1.1 port]

5. Does all modems (provided by BSNL) has firmware?? And if it is, can all ADSL modem be converted into ADSL2+ modem by making necessary update in firmware??

6. Does BSNL provides any ADSL modem with built-in firewall??

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Saketram

1. it is not difficult to install . you can do it .
2. if you again need BSNL assistance , you
need not pay the installation charges , but
you may have to bribe them ...
3. use the search function on this site to check
why some needed DMZ enabled .
4. I prefer D-Link . see its Indian site for details
http://www.dlink.co.in/dlink/Products/broadband.htm
5. Every modem/router has its own firmware .
if it has ADSL+2 option then can be upgraded .
6. yes . BSNL does have modems with firewall .

^ yes . D-Link modem can be easily configured forwindows 98 (first edition) . However BSNL does notprovide a D-Link modem . It should be purchased inthe market / thru online .

7. In the D-Link DSL-502T modem prospectus I do not see it has in-built splitter, then how it is possible to use Phone and Internet simultaneously??8. How much D-Link DSL-502T modem does cost??Thank you.

If u can buy UTStar router, then u shld go for it rather that D-Link, they r cheap, good and produces less heat.

UTStar can be a good choice .
UT-300R2 --> Rs.1800/- [/b]

if required a splitter can be purchased separately .

D-Link DSL-502T at Hyderabad --> Rs.1600/-[/b]