Semiconductor and telecom manufacturing in India

shirishag75

Regular
ISP
BSNL dataone
Hi all,
I dunno if this is the right place for both these new items or not. If not, mods and whoever please move it to appropriate corner.

Anyways, few weeks back I got these two news items :-

a. India to invest $5 Billion on commercial Semiconductor fab - Business news

By SiliconIndia, Friday, 22 April 2011, 14:37 IST
London: India has carved a niche in global software development and outsourcing services. This made the government feel the urgency of a chip manufacturing unit within India. On such premise the Indian government has announced renewed efforts to try and create a chip manufacturing industry on the sub-continent. The government is looking for investment of about ₨226 billion to build two wafer fabs.

The above is a short version, the news item is obviously quite a bit longer than that. For years, I have been dangling between hope and despair. First the Intel guys had said they were gonna do it, then the AMD guys and finally nobody till date. Do you guys think we will ever have chip manufacturing in India ?

b. Then this one "A risky approach to telecom manufacturing"

A risky approach to telecom manufacturing

Where the Indian government is looking at having indian manufacturing prowess for its equipment.

Couple of years or a little before than that, when the news had come of Indian companies making low-end mobiles for Indians I was pretty excited. Cut to today and almost all the low-end phones come from China. They may have an Indian brand name to appeal to the Indian consumer but at the heart its all chinese electronics and design. Of course, every few months we hear in the news of some psuedo-indian mobile manufacturer making a manufacturing base here in India and after that nothing.

I feel sad when I see items like above. Seems the media in this case likes us to believe or go on a fool's end as its always such a show. Remember the Education Ministry's big talk of having a laptop in every child's lap which is vaporware (nobody talks of it anymore) .

Thoughts, comments are welcome.