• Thread starter Thread starter manu1991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 1,813

manu1991

Ancient Philospher
ISP
Hyperoptic
We all know the pathetic state of broadband in india . Ever since bsnl and mtnl announced a 2 mbps connection i thought others wud follow suit but nothins happening
Guys we need to do sumthing
I wrote the followimng email to the minister of information technology

from hide details 9:52 pm (2 minutes ago)
to mocit@nic.in
date Jan 27, 2007 9:52 PM
subject Internet Service Providers Monoply
mailed-by gmail.com
Dear Sir ,
SUB : Internet Service Providers Monoply
I would like to bring to your notice about the monoply enjoyed by isp's .

The MTNL site defines broadband as - An 'always-on' data connection that is able to support interactive services including Internet access and has the capability of the minimum download speed of 256 kilo bits per second (kbps) to an individual subscriber from the Point of Presence (POP) of the service provider intending to provide Broadband Internet service where multiple such individual Broadband connections are aggregated and the subscriber is able to access these interactive services including the Internet through this POP. The interactive services will exclude any services for which a separate licence is specifically required, for example, real-time voice transmission, except to the extent that it is presently permitted under ISP licence with Internet Telephony."

despite this most of the isps provide speeds as low as 96 kbps and charge high rates and also provide poor services . I myself am using hotwire (Direct Internet Limited) for which i get only a 96 kbps connection . The government has announced 2 mbps speeds for all bsnl and mtnl subscribers but other isps like airtel , sify , hotwire , tata indicom and VSNL do not even provide a decent 256 kbps connection and that too is expensive and has many data caps .
Please take the required action .

Thanking You

I want everyone whose troubled with their connection to ask the minister to take some action , maybe hell do sumthing .

government cannot force private companies to raise their speeds. what they can set are the standards. trai set the standard at 256kbps. most companies meet it with upto criteria. the government can just tell the companies to remove the word 'broadband' from their connections. so companies like sify started using high speed internet connections.

It is true that most ISPs bullshit the customer by calling 64 and 75 kbps speeds as "High Speed", but they also provide you with a disclaimer that "TRAI defines broadband at 256 kbps and above". Most of our not so enlightened folks fall for the ridiculous limited shit plans that ISPs provide. I have seen some of my friends quite happy with limited plans. Some of them dont even know whether their ISP is providing them with promised speeds because they simply dont know how to check it.

but see this :
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1072606
2mbps diktat alters broadband game
Mithun Roy
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 23:59 IST

MUMBAI: Broadband at 256 Kbps? That’s chicken speed. Get ready for 2 mbps hotwire deliveries.

The government had in December 2006 asked all state-owned and private Internet service providers to provide 2 mbps bandwidth as broadband to residential subscribers at existing prices, from January 1, 2007.

This increase in bandwidth is expected to increase broadband penetration in the country. The government has set a target of building a base of 20 million broadband users by 2010.

The immediate effect of Centre’s diktat on higher speed Internet is that value-added businesses such as online gaming and online music would get a fillip.

State-owned BSNL and MTNL are already equipped to provide 2 mbps, but what remains to be seen is how many private ISPs can do it.

At present, BSNL has 8.2 lakh subscribers using the 256 kbps connectivity across the country.

Analysts said with prices remaining almost same for 2 mbps delivery, it’s a double bonanza for subscribers.

But despite all this, the government is unlikely to achieve the target of 18 million Internet subscribers and 9 million broadband connections by 2007, analysts said.

At the global level, UK has over 200 Internet service providers making it the most competitive broadband market in the world.

YOU Telecom, a private broadband operator, announced its new 2 mbps price plans along with MTNL and BSNL.

Citigroup Venture Capital International owns 90% of YOU Telecom, while and the US-based Amzak has the balance stake.

Talking to DNA Money, E V S Chakravarthy, CEO of YOU Telecom, said, “The government’s move could change the course of broadband penetration in the country.
With this kind of bandwidth to homes, value added services will see a substantial growth as subscribers will begin to swell.”

YOU Telecom (formerly Iqara Telecoms) is India’s second-largest private broadband ISP offering broadband services to residential, SME and corporate customers.

According to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai), 389 ISPs have so far been given licences to operate Internet services. The top 20 providers cover 98% of the subscribers, Trai data show.

Similarly, while Internet telephony has been licensed out to 128 ISPs, only 32 are providing the service.[/b]

and dude iqara (you telecom) is already providing 2 mbps but the problem is that it is not in delhi