• Thread starter Thread starter Nishant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 8,353

Nishant

Staff member
ISP
Jetway FTTH, BSNL FTTH
Seagate was once considered as pioneers in hard drives. But since the last couple of years, their quality has gone down considerably. I have personally experienced this. I had around 4 - 5 seagate hard drives, and all of them crashed within 2 yrs and I had to send it for replacement. Though they used to give 5 yrs warranty, but people are more concerned about data loss that happens when a HDD crashes. Finally I decided to switch to Western Digital and I am amazed to see the quality of the hard drives. I'm using WD Hard Drives since the last 4 yrs and none of them have crashed even once. Strangely all the HDD manufacturers have reduced the warranty period to 3 yrs too.Have anybody faced such issues with Seagate hard drives? I have read a lot about Seagate hard drives crashing within warranty period at many places in the internet.Please share your experiences here....

i only use seagate barracuda here. have not had a single crash in the last 3-4 years. i do use my computer rather aggressively. i tend to retire my hard disks after 2-3 years because of space constraints.

My seagate hard drive crashed in an year, but it was due to my fault 😛.

Used a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (IDE) 80GB hard disk for around 5 years without any problem until I upgraded to a new PC.Currently using a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB one (SATA) for more than a year & counting (fingers crossed).

its just not the brand, Power fluctuations can be a major cause of HDD crash.I am happy with seagate and one should try to use multiple HDD in desktopThis way u have atleast one backup in case a HDD crash occurs.

and if the data is very important to you... keep an offsite backup. i recommend backblaze.

^^ thanks for sharing, Until one's HDD crashes, every-one considers his Comp as Best and fail proof....I saved one of my friend from Data loss, who has a business and most records were on laptop only, even after being a huge accounts work. he never backed it to external location, he praises me now as I almost forced him to buy a external HDD.one fine day his laptop HDD conked off and he was glad he had backup with him which is now synced multiple times a dayLesson learned and he would not take it as a Joke anymore.Oops time to sync and sleep now 🙂

yeap. i have seen several cases myself. in one case, the company paid close to 20K on recovering the data on a disk that crashed. i had recommended backing up the data online. the service costs just 50 dollars per year and has unlimited storage. however you would require a fast internet connection to recover the data back.

Seagate was once considered as pioneers in hard drives. But since the last couple of years, their quality has gone down considerably. I have personally experienced this. I had around 4 - 5 seagate hard drives, and all of them crashed within 2 yrs and I had to send it for replacement. Though they used to give 5 yrs warranty, but people are more concerned about data loss that happens when a HDD crashes. Finally I decided to switch to Western Digital and I am amazed to see the quality of the hard drives. I'm using WD Hard Drives since the last 4 yrs and none of them have crashed even once. Strangely all the HDD manufacturers have reduced the warranty period to 3 yrs too.

Have anybody faced such issues with Seagate hard drives? I have read a lot about Seagate hard drives crashing within warranty period at many places in the internet.

Please share your experiences here....

I have used 4 Seagate drives in my desktops from past 11 years and never had a crash. Still use some of them for unimportant files and backups but now my main drives are two WD Black 1TB. BTW you still get 5 year warranty for high end models.

Actually most harddisks are SMART capable. If person is careful, he shud run SMART tests regularly (say once a month). In Linux u can use smartd daemon to regularly check HDD and it will automatically email u when there is a problem.These SMART tests give u good info well in advance if ur harddisk is failing... so based on that u can take backups b4 it actually crashes.

smart test wont matter to person like me..becoz most of time the reason for crashing is that it dropped to floor!!..lol

My friend's Seagate Hard disk failed within 3 months. He got some repaired hard disk as replacement.

Update: The refurbished Seagate hard disk he got also stopped working as soon as he bought it to his house. Now he gave it again and they have told him to wait for a week to get a replacement.