Samsung Omnia W

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 42
  • Views Views 5,826
lol. you do realize that majority of android apps are compatible with android 2.2 and above? and yet people blame google about not supporting third party devices?

there are very few apps in the market that require ics... and yet everyone around blames google for the 'fragmentation' because devices are stuck with gingerbread.

as per your logic, android has very little fragmentation considering majority of the devices are running android 2.2 or above. just 6.1% of active devices are on version older than 2.2 Platform Versions | Android Developers

your logic is seriously not accepted by the masses. especially the Apple fanbase who mock android for the so called fragmentation and highlight how apple is able to release latest ios releases even for older devices (ignoring the fact that the releases are crippled and a lot of features are disabled).

I dont want to get into fight about Android Fragmentation, but I would want to point out official statement by Microsoft spokeperson in some interview that all apps for WP8 would also run on WP7 (WP7.5). Only issue is for WP7 devices having lower RAM (256 MB) which do not support some of apps which are developed for 512 MB RAM. However MS has said that all apps which need 512 MB apps would also be made available to run in 256 MB devices (like Skype and Angry Birds which are not compatible with 256 MB RAM devices currently).

and i am just stating the real world definition of fragmentation. if it is not running the latest android edition, it is outdated and hence fragmented.

Windows phone wont get fragmented. MS just kills the older versions..Windows phone 7 came.. It was everything new no backward compatibilty and allMicrosoft closed down windows mobile 6/6.5 store. Mango and tango have a similiar future. Except that there is a possibility that mango apps can be emulated/ can run on wp8 hardware.

well the question is how many current generation models would get the future updates. especially the low end models like the 610 which feature the tango edition and are already unable to run some of the apps available on the windows phone store. Nokia lumia 610 is closest to the budget range android devices with underpowered hardware. microsoft had to release a special version of windows phone to make it work on this phone. and i am just saying here that it just might not get the next major update at all.

I dont think that even lumia 900 will be updated.. 12-18 months from now current devices won't have access to marketplace as well..

from what i see microsoft only disabled market access to windows phone devices after 7.5 was released for all the models. they have not discarded market support for any of the model technically speaking. users have to update their devices manually in almost all the cases because the updates are delivered through zune and not ota right? so wp is not yet fragmented. i am not of course including windows mobile devices which no longer have an official app store. things would of course become complicated with the launch of future updates because people would expect to get those updates. along with continues access to the marketplace of course.

So as I mentioned above, I may have to settle with 7.8 for my Omnia W for next few years 🙂I just hope some features like Nokia Maps and Memory mode on USB is delivered to my handset.

@Admin, If possible please move this thread to new "My Phone!" section.I think its better if you move from post #17 when I mentioned about my purchase. I would update all future posts in that thread.

The initial posts talk about the phone in general.. So probably move the later posts alone?Ah, I see you have added what I wanted to say while I was posting it 🙂