Samsung Galaxy S I9000 - Product Discussion & Initial Purchase Experience

• Thread starter Thread starter dhananjayk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 139
  • Views Views 23,414
rooting is similar to removing the official OS that came with a laptop/desktop and running your own OS 😀 the only difference is that in case of mobiles you can make the device unusable. that does not easily happen with computers .

rooting is similar to removing the official OS that came with a laptop/desktop and running your own OS 😀 the only difference is that in case of mobiles you can make the device unusable. that does not easily happen with computers .

Incorrect - rooting is just giving other apps "access" to some folders which they dont have access to by default - it CANNOT make your mobile unusable
E.g - Titanium Backup (Backup software), Shootme (Taking screenshot of the mobile) etc require root access

Although to install custom ROM (XYZ version of OS instead of default OS) also requires you to root - Doing this incorrectly can make your phone a BRICK 🙂

I hope the above post helps in clearing the doubts between Rooting and Installing custom ROM

Incorrect - rooting is just giving other apps "access" to some folders which they dont have access to by default - it CANNOT make your mobile unusable
E.g - Titanium Backup (Backup software), Shootme (Taking screenshot of the mobile) etc require root access

Although to install custom ROM (XYZ version of OS instead of default OS) also requires you to root - Doing this incorrectly can make your phone a BRICK 🙂

I hope the above post helps in clearing the doubts between Rooting and Installing custom ROM

so what cool stuff can be done by just rooting.. screen capture is already there on Galaxy s.. also what happens when you do a official software update on a rooted phone ?

so what cool stuff can be done by just rooting.. screen capture is already there on Galaxy s.. also what happens when you do a official software update on a rooted phone ?

Rooting will enable you to give give specific applications access to system files (sometimes this is necessary for the application to work)

Screen Capture on galaxy can take screenshot only of the home screen (By pressing the back button + home button) ....it cannot take the screenshot of any running applications

Examples of softwares which work only after rooting are
1) Ad block - blocks ads in many applications and games
2) Titanium Backup - takes the backup of all the system applications and user installed applications
3) Shootme - to take the screenshot of anything on your phone
4) Install/Upgrade the operating system of your phone (Custom ROM)
5) Install Vodooo Lag fix - to increase the speed/performance of the phone - make it work much more smoothly
so 1rooting is dangerous .. but from rooting to unroot is that easy .. then

Rooting is harmless ....
Which application you give access to use the root files post doing rooting is important.

Nothing that cannot be undone.
Rooted phone can easily be unrooted

Rooted and installed Custom ROM on my Galaxy S yesterday. Its awesome.The speed has increased a lot, the froyo update was pathetic, used to take one minute to select a contact and call

Rooting is harmless ....
Which application you give access to use the root files post doing rooting is important.

Nothing that cannot be undone.
Rooted phone can easily be unrooted

i wanted to get rid of few freebies comes with LG O1 .. will do it after few days ...

Re: NEWS: Update for the Samsung Galaxy S - Vodafone eForum

From Vodafone UK

Due to an issue with the Gingerbread update for the Samsung Galaxy S, its roll out has been temporarily suspended by Google. Unfortunately, this means the Vodafone variant is not currently available to download through KIES.

As there are no known performance issues with the Vodafone variant of the device, we are working with Samsung to reinstate the roll out as soon as possible. We know this is frustrating for those Vodafone customers who have not yet been able to update their device and are working hard to address the matter with Samsung.

errr... I am not sure even if updates to Indian mobiles have even started. Unless they fix everything before India update was supposed to start then it is ok - if not, I think we can expect a delay here too....

and i am surprised that they rely on manual computer based update process for the same. 😕 i mean what's wrong with OTA updates! 😀

Yeah - Very true - OTA is good for most - But they should give both options actually, because there are people who do not use internet on Android phones :iomg:

is there EVER a indian update ?? I ghavent seen any, and I have had 2.3 unofficial running on i7500, but mind you they do screw up the system. Please check cynogen mods they are awesome

indian updates....mobile launches are always dam late...with Nokia updates would be as late as 3 months or so...

updates for the nexus series are delivered around a week or 2 after they official release. waiting for 2.3.3 update here.