• Thread starter Thread starter ganesh177
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 4,658

ganesh177

Regulars
ISP
BSNL broadband
NEW DELHI: Sachin Tendulkar became the highest scorer in Test cricket after surpassing West Indian legend Brian Lara in the ongoing second Test in Mohali on Friday. ( Watch )

Sachin Tendulkar in action during the second Test against Australia at the Mohali Stadium. (PTI Photo)
More Pictures

After breaking Lara’s record, Sachin Tendulkar became the first batsman to reach 12000-run mark in Test cricket.

The Master Blaster needed just 15 runs today to overtake Lara's Test match tally of 11,953 runs and establishing a fourth world record in his illustrious career.

Tendulkar is also on the verge of creating another landmark as he will also be the first player to amass 12000 runs in Test cricket.

The 35-year-old batting maestro is already the world's top-scorer in One-Day International (16,361) and has the most centuries in Test matches (39) and One-dayers (42).

The Mumbaikar came close to surpass Lara's milestone in the drawn first Test in Bangalore but he fell short of just 15 runs after playing a gritty knock of 49 runs in the second innings to help India seal a draw.

Sachin made his Test debut at the tender age of 16 against Pakistan in 1989 in Karachi. From there on the little master of world cricket has never looked back.

The Mumbaikar came into limelight with his first Test century on a seaming Old Trafford track against a formidable English attack as he saved the match for India.

Tendulkar still remains the most admired cricketer from all quarters the world ranging from experts to cricket ardent fans despite not being in his best of form off late.

The body of the master blaster has taken its toll as he has been playing international cricket to close to two decades. Though several injuries marred his playing career time and again during the last five years but his never-say-die attitude still makes him the heartthrob of cricketing world. Congratulate Sachin Tendulkar.

Last edited by a moderator:
congrats to sachin and to ganguly for crossing 7000.

another record for the great little champion..hope that he score at least 15,000 runs before he retires.:cool2:

I'd like to see him some more months or years for that matter. yeah, typical punekar me ! 😗

Rubbish, Lara was better, he played 131 tests to create the record and Sachin took 152 to break it, so who is a better player, i think the data speaks for itself.I haven't seen sachin get a 100 for god knows how long, most of the time he is out with injury or just hitting small knocks, youngsters should be given a chance and the oldies should retire now ..😗

Rubbish, Lara was better, he played 131 tests to create the record and Sachin took 152 to break it, so who is a better player, i think the data speaks for itself.

I haven't seen sachin get a 100 for god knows how long, most of the time he is out with injury or just hitting small knocks, youngsters should be given a chance and the oldies should retire now ..😗

Exactly , he is a player who play for records and nothing else, , i like Dravid who sweats a lot for playing a big innings ....

Rubbish, Lara was better, he played 131 tests to create the record and Sachin took 152 to break it, so who is a better player, i think the data speaks for itself.

I haven't seen sachin get a 100 for god knows how long, most of the time he is out with injury or just hitting small knocks, youngsters should be given a chance and the oldies should retire now ..😗

Everyone knows lara made it in few number of test played. He is one of the best test player. But that does not take anything away from sachin watever he has achieved.

And sachin dont have to score 100's everytime to prove his credibility. If that is the meter for measuring the quality then i dont see a single player worth playing in the team. The best so called dhoni wud be first to be kicked out.

And as far as his retiring is consider, there has to be some strong reason for him to do that. His age of 35 is well considered decent to continue playing. He has got good average with awesome strike rate. So none of the reason wud prompt him to retire, and there is no official in BCCi or anywhere who wud dare suggest him to do so. Only thing cud get him retire right now is if himself really wants to (that is highly unlikely).:thumbsup:

I see another land mark soon. 12000 !

he is already beyond 12000.

btw sachin's play has slowed down a lot (avg wise). but till his 110 test matches or so, he was as fast as lara. only reason ricky ponting has caught him fast in centuries is that sachin's rate of centuries has slowed down a lot.

he is already beyond 12000.

btw sachin's play has slowed down a lot (avg wise). but till his 110 test matches or so, he was as fast as lara. only reason ricky ponting has caught him fast in centuries is that sachin's rate of centuries has slowed down a lot.

Amish, like i said and you have posted, i think one can read what the data is indicating, Sachin may have class, but i feel now he is just trying to stretch his career to break and create new records ,

Ganesh -

Strong reason to retire is poor form, low batting average, frequent injuries ,

Well 35 is not the age to retire if you say that for Sanath Jayasuriya i will agree, as his batting is still the same and he is the only aged player who has gotten better with age and is still in superb form.

Just by saying a player is good one does not become good, In Sachin's current form he is struggling and one can make that out easily ...
Also age, injury and poor form are 3 things which are affecting him.

Everyone knows he is trying to stretch to play another World cup, but will he be able to sustain and master the game till then, i doubt that ...

Every player goes through bad patches. And sachin has'nt been absolute failure in terms of scoring runs, he has been making runs now and then, just that he cud not retain his class he built for himself. Besides, if he is tryin to stretch his career till WC or beyod it, then nothing wrong in it, as long as he continues to score runs. Will he be able to sustain that long ? Only time will tell !😉

well i agreed tht brian lara reached the milestone in less number of matches..but u should see his average..it's around 52.5 while sachin's averages more than 54..After watching today's innings i never got a feeling that Sachin is not in form..he is in form..But his level of fitness is a concern..as a test player i hope he plays for another 3 yrs or soo.:thumbsup:

Every player goes through bad patches. And sachin has'nt been absolute failure in terms of scoring runs, he has been making runs now and then, just that he cud not retain his class he built for himself.

Besides, if he is tryin to stretch his career till WC or beyod it, then nothing wrong in it, as long as he continues to score runs. Will he be able to sustain that long ? Only time will tell !😉
I dont understand why many are asking saching to retire...........he is in supreme form with respect ODI's i think he missed out 6 - 7 centuries last calendar year.......as he got out in 90'2 many times......we won triangular series because of him i n Australia..........I accept that he did not perform to his potential in the Test Matches..........but i am sure after achieving the LAra's i hope he will feel free.........and we can expect different saching from now on.......

Its just the media and the indian public puts him under pressure.........i wonder how Sachin performed all these pressure as people have got high expectation and he dealt with the pressure and performed well for india..........

I dont think with respect to cricket would have got the same pressure like saching to perform well........In India Media and Public puts lots of pressure on sachin to perform well always.......he is also a human give him a break and its been 20 years playing for india.......:thumbsup:

Hats off to you sachin for achieving the milestone.........i believe saching should play 1-2 years of ODI cricket and should play 3 - 4 yrs test cricket provided if he his fitness level allows him to play..........:thumbsup:

Exactly, there is nothing and no one who would force sachin to step down. I am expecting him to see few more years.

'I can't be running after every record ' - Tendulkar

It was about 15 minutes into Sachin Tendulkar's press conference. He had answered wide-ranging questions, not all pertaining to the match or his record. Before the next question came his way, the media coordinator asked him if he would like to continue. Tendulkar moved away from the mike, and although he could not be heard, it seemed he said something to the effect of "Why not?" The press conference continued for the next 11 minutes, way longer than the ones at the end of a day's play.

Tendulkar was in that kind of mood. He looked animated, spoke in three languages - English, Hindi and Marathi - and looked relieved and happy, and was subtly funny. He started off by admitting that although the record was not a big distraction, the anticipation around it did mean something. "During all the talk about the record, I concentrated on how to score runs for the team, but everybody I used to meet would talk about only one thing. Now that it is done, I know I wouldn't be asked the same question again and again."

On a personal level, he doesn't have a "what next" now? "I started as a 16-year-old, and there was no targets then," he said. "I just wanted to go enjoy every moment. That is what I like to continue with - not to think of too many things and complicate my game in the process.

"I have not played for records. I can't be running after every record [answering a query about breaking Brian Lara's 400]. I would be looking after what the team needs. The team obviously needs it. If it comes my way, I will take it. If it doesn't come, there will be no regrets."

Despite that attitude there must have been moments when he would have realised he could end up the leading run-getter in both Tests and ODIs. "As the career progresses, there is sub-consciousness mind starts thinking about it," he said. "You know that people start talking about it the records. That is how you are aware of all these things.
"There have been occasions that I didn't know how many runs I needed [to get to the record]. A couple of team-mates did not believe. I was willing to swear on anyone that I don't know. That is when they believed. The beauty is just to go out and play, and while doing that the records were meant to be broken and various milestones achieved."

What was he thinking when it happened? The steer towards the third-man boundary that got him past Brian Lara? "When I looked up, obviously I had two thoughts in my mind," he said. "One was I thanked the almighty and the second, I thanked my father. Today I miss him. He would definitely be a proud man, and I just thought of him."
Sourav Ganguly was a special partner to have when the record happened. He reminded Tendulkar of the fact that he was his partner when Tendulkar got his 35th century. "If you can remember that in the middle of all that ..."

He also dedicated the record to Ramakant Achrekar, his childhood coach, his family who have been by his side "whether or not he did well", and especially "my mother".
Almost in paternal manner, he subtly put his critics in their place. "I don't need to prove anything to anyone," he said. "I have been around for 19 years, and those 19 years I did not play cricket to prove anything to anyone, whether it was first year of my cricket or 10th, or 15th, or 19th.

"I'm not here to answer to what x, y and z is writing or saying about me. It is their opinions, and I don't take all those opinions seriously ... But sometimes I don't know how they can figure out what's going on in my mind when sometimes I myself can't figure that out."

That was the only time he sounded mildly sour, but only mildly. The talk eventually went back to the celebration when he got the record. "The duration [of the fireworks] was bit worrying." When a journalist informed him they had planned 11,954 crackers, he said, "Eventually I figured out it was 11,954 crackers or something like that."