s Upgradation From 590 to 849 NU worth it ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Surfer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 3,673

Surfer

ISP
MTNL 590 NU
Hi all, Currently i am on the 590 NU plan from MTNL and am thinking of upgrading to 849 . Has any of you done this ... is it worth it , i mean do you get a substantial increase in the download speed . or is it just notworth the hassle any help is appreciated ..

depends on your line conditionsI'm also in Borivali but my exchange is in CharkopFor 590NU I have perfect line stats,but on 8479NU at 2mbps my line stats crash,although most nights i have 1.8mbps stable speedsAlso U cant come back to 590NU, and now thatI have run out of things to download.....I wanna go back,but they won't let me have it:madness:so TriB 200P from tomorrow:ashamed:

Its definitely worth it. And once you get used to the 2mbps bandwidth, you cant live without it... Go for it...

depends on your line conditions
I'm also in Borivali but my exchange is in Charkop

For 590NU I have perfect line stats,
but on 8479NU at 2mbps my line stats crash,
although most nights i have 1.8mbps stable speeds

Also U cant come back to 590NU, and now that
I have run out of things to download.....
I wanna go back,but they won't let me have it:madness:
so TriB 200P from tomorrow:ashamed:
yeah i am from charkop exchange too ... what do you mean by line stat crashes ... do you get disconnected frequently ? .. thing is i am a little
apprehensive in changing anything with MTNL ... god knows what might screw up ...

I stay near Don Bosco/Gok College Rd and everyone here is connected to Charkop
Shimpoli or Borivali exchanges would have smaller telephone line lengths
and more stable connections

What I mean is that ADSL stats like SNR and Attenuation
become too High/Low and when they are not in optimal range
U cant get 2mbps stable.........
Higher speed on longer lines means more unstability
I dont have frequent disconnections,but the modem almost never syncs
at 2mbps and most of the day its around 0.9mbps speeds
Ofcourse at Night its 1.78 stable

::. Kitz - adsl Line Stats .::
Line Length.
Ideally your line length should be below 3.5km from the exchange to get a 2Mb connection and 6km for a 1Mb connection.*
Please note that it measures your distance between your home and the exchange "as the crow flies" and due to cable routing your line length in relality will be longer depending upon BT's routing.
Traditional Fixed 512/1Mb/2Mb
For each upgrade between the speeds you can expect to lose on average 6dB. Therefore if you upgraded from 512kbps to 2Mbps then your SNR Margin is likely to have dropped in the region of 12dB.
Once your SNR Margin starts to drop below 10dB on a traditional fixed rate line then you are likely to have problems.

skorpio1, you said you would be on TriB 200P from tomorrow i.e., 31st October. Do you mean 1st November? I also did not change to 949 Unltd. this month but thinking of changing to that plan now. I would like to enjoy online radio, gaming etc. for which it would be safer to be on some Unltd. Plan.Also I don\'t have much for downloading...that can be done on the Unltd Plan just at a lower speed. Otherwise, I would have changed to 549 Nu.

849NU is totally worth it if:1. ur a heavy downloader ( 2gb a night +)2. u can afford it.3. ur exchange is not overloaded/can handle it. A lot of my friends face connectivity issues(esp in western suburbs). Since i live n-e , hardly any load on my exchange and i have faced a grand total of 0 sec downtime in the last 2 months.

I totally agree with you, mailmaldi. it is not that expensive only if MTNL guys did not charge fixed phone rent as they do currently in Delhi...with taxes it comes out to be a bill of more than a 1000 Rs (for 749 NU) on phone lines used only for internet instead of 849 or 749 Rs. Phone rent should not be charged on those phones.

@BasKingndSun
Yup I'm gonna change it to TriB 200P from Nov 1st,but I called and took the docket number on 31st Oct.
UL plans are great if u are a heavy Downloader like me who downloads 100 to 125 GB every month via HTTP or Torrents and the 1.25GB limit is ridiculous
Damn things is now I have run out of things that I would want to download and so am moving to lower bandwidth plan

I have requested for a plan change today. Let us see when it occurs. In this plan I can surf freely and download whenever I need to.

just correct me if i am wrong"both the plans have same surfing speed only free download limit varies"

Yep... both TriB 200P and 849NU have a bandwidth of "upto 2 mbps"

ok .. have decided to go for the upgradation ... what do you think will be the fastest way to get the upgradation done ... visit the Exchange and apply or call/email ... will they do it by this month end or this month itself