• Thread starter Thread starter prathapml
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 9,603

prathapml

Agent Smith
ISP
Load balanced, 100Mbit fake poop
If you could run a graphical OS live from CD, it would save a lot of bother at touch-screen kiosks, cyber-cafes, etc. (since no "residue" is left behind - everytime you boot-up its back to its original state).
Its also useful for PC-repair, when you need to do some system diagnosis, or need to just copy out a few files to a different HDD before re-formatting, or if your windows has refused to boot-up, etc.

Check out the "Linux-Live from CD" - Knoppix

OR use Bart's PE and run windows XP off a CD.

Its a bit more limited than knoppix and won't work more than a day, but good enough for system diags. Also has some more silly limitation, no more than 6 user programs running concurrently.

windows live cd's really suck (bart's way). i have treid bart and was not impressed . i didnt tried DigiWiz's MiniPE for win XP .. will give it a try in day or two in vmware .. googling now 🙂linux cd's rocks 😀

I have Knoppix, beware of the excessive RAM required if you run live-cd's though.

How much RAM is required????Also do i need to download only the iso file for knoppix CD????

When I had 256MB RAM(266MHz), the applications on the Knoppix live CD took more time than needed.The games fps was really bad....so I guess you need atleast 512MB ram.R u planning to d/l the iso file from the net?

Damn Small Linux is my favourite live cd ... just 50 MB in size and chock full with graphical applications like Firefox , Dillo (browsers), Sylpheed (Mail), and much more. It uses the Fluxbox window manager.

The best feature of DSL is the MyDSL extensions, they allow you to download additional software and use them, quite easily.

Its pretty light weight, will run on old 486's, and can be fit on a USB stick. Installable on a hard drive, if you wish.

www.damnsmalllinux.org

Other good ones are SLAX and Puppy Linux.

Also do i need to download only the iso file for knoppix CD????
[/b]

You can boot into Knoppix, DSL or other knoppix based distro's just from the ISO, you wont even need to burn the ISO to a CD. Do post if you need some info on that 🙂

All you need to do is burn the iso onto a cd, though it is possible to boot from an image on your hard disk which will eliminate the need for too much RAM (as far as I remember from experience, may not be right though). For me Knoppix ran very slowly with 128 ram and very well with 256.

For me Knoppix ran very slowly with 128 ram and very well with 256.
[/b]

Knoppix uses the K Desktop Environment, which is pretty resource heavy, and it has to load itself into the RAM, further increasing memory usage. It will be quite slow with less than 256 MB RAM for sure.

Knoppix rocks. Nice way to check out and diagnose your system. it has helped me out so many times in data recovery when windows is on the fritz. just wish that linux supported NTFS format.

Yes it reads..but no write permissions.Actually i love the interface and the free apps.The one I 've I got from LinuxForYou magazine. They ve made their own Knoppix version of it...and it has so many educational JAVA applets.