Run an OS from CD

blr_p

Regulars
Can someone provide a URL for digiwhiz live CD, for some reason google cant find it.

ujjwal

Regular
For me Knoppix ran very slowly with 128 ram and very well with 256.
[/b]

Knoppix uses the K Desktop Environment, which is pretty resource heavy, and it has to load itself into the RAM, further increasing memory usage. It will be quite slow with less than 256 MB RAM for sure.

Knoppix rocks. Nice way to check out and diagnose your system. it has helped me out so many times in data recovery when windows is on the fritz. just wish that linux supported NTFS format.

powdermonkey

Regulars
Yes it reads..but no write permissions.Actually i love the interface and the free apps.The one I 've I got from LinuxForYou magazine. They ve made their own Knoppix version of it...and it has so many educational JAVA applets.

power

supersupersuper...
You can boot into Knoppix, DSL or other knoppix based distro's just from the ISO, you wont even need to burn the ISO to a CD. Do post if you need some info on that[/b]

what?? which program botos os from a iso files . are u talking abt vmware or virtual pc ?????

btw still u need tooooooo much ram if u gonna use from vmware coz then it makes 2 os running :(

ujjwal

Regular
Power, see this - http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/talk/node/191

It doesn't need vmware or any other emulator, all it does is load the linux kernel into memory, and give it the options to load the rest of the live CD. This is done through DOS, but it can be done without DOS/Win9x if you have LILO, GRUB or another boot loaded installed.

power

supersupersuper...
thx for info i always neede one such distro :) that can run without burning on iso..

Well i got an old version of knoppix. does the new one support even reading of an NTFS drive. Because if thats true then i will convert all my drives except for the storage and the one with windows me into NTFS.