Rumored Reliance Jio Fiber Broadband Plans

@vishalrao Wireless can never be > Wired.

Latency in Wired is always best.

So 5G cannot replace FTTH.

Secondly, FTTH is here to stay for years. 5G will be replaced sooner or later with it's successor.

I think in a few years from now 5G technology can even kill off and replace FTTH if it lives up to its promise of high speeds and low latencies and gormint does not screw up the spectrum allocation.

After all, FTTH still has "last mile" deployment/wiring problems, what with all these rival LCO people cutting each others' wires and all that crap.

It will depend on how the 5G technology and hardware evolves, right now its shit. it doesn't work if you are not in the line of sight of the 5G node. If there is a wall in between you won't get 5G you will be switched to 4G. Speeds are affected even if you accidentally cover your phone's antenna bands while holding it .

I was just about to write this line myself.

Latency is a huge problem on critical applications such as games or security related products. It wouldn't be an issue to families who mostly watch videos, movies, etc. But, usually, there is a gamer in most families. He / she would be cursing the unlimited plan that comes with add-ons like high latency or zero privacy.

Latency in Wired is always best.

So 5G cannot replace FTTH.

Secondly, FTTH is here to stay for years. 5G will be replaced sooner or later with it's successor.

5G is supposed to have latency that matches wired or even better like 1 ms.

Direct quote from 5G: What are eMBB, URLLC and mMTC? with manually highlighted parts...

The ‘full’ 5G System includes:
  • eMBB (enhanced Mobile Broadband)
  • URLLC (Ultra Reliable Low Latency Communications)
  • mMTC (massive Machine Type Communications)
The initial phase of 5G Non-Standalone deployments focuses on eMBB, which provides greater data-bandwidth complemented by moderate latency improvements on both 5G NR and 4G LTE. This will help to develop today’s mobile broadband use cases such as emerging AR/VR media and applications, UltraHD or 360-degree streaming video and many more.

mMTC has been already developed as part of 3GPP Release 13/14 low power wide area (LPWA) technologies, which includes NB-IoT. These are expected to meet most 5G mMTC requirements, while others that require more bandwidth with ultra-reliable low latency (full URLLC) will require the 5G Core deployment for full end-2-end latency reduction. Mission critical applications that are especially latency-sensitive will also require wide coverage, which is highly unlikely in early 5G deployments, so this development will come later.

I will be happy if the commercial launch happens this year.

What makes you to think or guess about unlimited data? If there is unlimited data, they could've announced it already, thus increasing the hype. Of course, they already provide unlimited data under preview. But, they never mentioned about unlimited data during the preview offer.

I am more interested in knowing the (exact) cities that Reliance plans to cover, than the launch date or data caps in it. Does anyone have any idea?
by going to jio's infrastructure,I dont think jio will be adding FUP, I guess price will be like 500rs 50 mbps unlimited 100 mbps 800rs unlimited 200mbps 1000 rs unlimited..When you get hooked to high speed broadband,people will upgrade to 100 mbps and more.Thats the strategy.

5G is supposed to have latency that matches wired or even better like 1 ms.
Although, Yes it is. But that's the testing done in the countries where the congestion isn't much. Don't expect it to work like this in India. And to be honest. Don't have high hopes from 5G.

FTTH is Life.

jio fibre is taking so much time like they are inventing some new technology, yes they are launching a service which is not available in India at a large scale but still they are in beta phase like forever and it doesn't look like its going to be completed anytime soon.
Same thing happened with 4G. They and most people acted liked like Jio had invented 4G. First they didn't launch for 6 years after getting spectrum and then the so called "testing" continued for years. Airtel already had 4G in over 100 cities at that time and still Jio was acting like they had invented the internet.

Yeah, agreed, 5G is only technically powerful on paper. Actual implementation will be a sad state of affairs here in India. FTTH will survive for a while even though people will suffer last mile problems.

Reps from JioGigafiber came to my place (Sholinganallur, Chennai) to take orders. One of the guy had earlier worked with Cherrinet and knew I'm a potential customer. He told that the Jio preview offer will be running atleast for 6-12 months though Jio will be launching Gigafiber in the next few months. Rental for 1000 Mbps is expected to be 50-60% the price of existing ISPs.