Rs. 1.6 crore robbed from Bangalore ATM

• Thread starter Thread starter mhsabir
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 4,575
16,000 units of 1000 rupee notes. should be possible. though there are very few ATMs that only keep 1000 bucks in them. heck, most ATMs would still give 500 rupee notes. a few are loaded with just 100 rupee notes.

I am not arguing about the sheer capacity or capability or whatever... Its just that so much money itself being kept that which surprises me...

duh. you misread the article. the robbery happened when they were loading the ATM. so the money was probably for multiple ATMs not a single one. they looted the truck that goes around filling the ATMs.

Assuming 3 mins per transaction , 20 people per hour .. or max.500 people in a day are serviced at the ATM. Assuming its a weekly replenishment ATM.. .so around 3500 people in a week - Average 5000 needs to be withdrawn per person for it to require replenishment every week 😕

----------

Edit : Yes, now that I re-read it ... It does seem that they money was meant for multiple ATM.. But I thought they would have enough security measures & they would try to fill in one ATM at a time 😕

man. there is little security from what i have seen. there is usually a van with metal cage all around it. probably one or two security guards. i could be wrong though i have never thought of them as very secure. maybe they carry the money in safes that are very tough to open. but catch one in a secluded area, it should be easy to rob. 😕 they usually do not allow you to hover around the van or the people filling the ATM during the process.

"Over Rs. 1 crore cash was reportedly robbed this morning by a gang of eight to ten people when the money was being loaded in an ATM machine."

Now when I re-re-read it, I feel either the article has got it wrong, or I was right in the first place 😀

Again... I doubt they would take out cash to be loaded into all ATMs at once.

i assume that the money is in a single safe and they take out the money from that safe to load in individual machines. and they robbed while the safe was open?

Maybe... The article was a little vague .. Lets see if we get more details soon 🙂

16,000 units of 1000 rupee notes. should be possible. though there are very few ATMs that only keep 1000 bucks in them. heck, most ATMs would still give 500 rupee notes. a few are loaded with just 100 rupee notes.

Citibank ATM gives only 1000 rupee notes. If u need 500s, you need to reduce the amount to multiples of 600 🙁

----------

Oh God, That is the area I live in. It is generally very safe, donno where exactly this ATM is located.

Same article updated with more details - So whatever you admin, you were more right.. The article headline itself I would say is no longer correct. It should money meant to be loaded into ATMs robbed or something to that effect.

"Police said, the gang members armed with logs waylaid the vehicle, broke the window panes and overpowered the gunman and two cash loaders when they were proceeding to load the currency note in ATMs in R T Nagar locality."
"According to police, the gang, who came in two vehicles, attacked the cash loaders and the gunman and escaped with the loot. "

Seems to be an insider information.

----------

Funny thing, a senior police officer lives very near to that area. And that area is totally residential, very calm and generally safe.

Well... Might be insider... Otherwise a lot of tracking etc needs to be done of their schedules etc from outside over a period of time... Its not likely that they would have been roaming around in vehicles looking for such vehicles to rob.

Another incident, this time in Delhi

Delhi: ATM van carrying Rs 5 crore cash of ICICI Bank looted - India - Delhi - ibnlive

An ATM van carrying Rs 5 crore cash was looted by robbers in broad daylight on Friday in Delhi's Defence Colony.The van was carrying the cash of the ICICI Bank. The robbers shot at the guard and ran away with the ATM van. The guard has been admitted to the AIIMS trauma centre and is in a critical state.The police have reached the spot and were carrying out the initial investigation.

The police have reached the spot and were carrying out the initial investigation.
What 'investigation' they'll do? collect samples like in CSI? By investigation , they mean we'll talk to people around and try to know the details.