Rpi Projects - OpenVPN

eriek_halenx

I got banned!
ISP
Bsnl FTTH
I thought of continuing the discussions from pihole for OpenVPN.

Has anyone installed OpenVPN on rpi? There are installation instructions online which seemed doable.My primary purpose would be not to access my local network from outside, but to use it for browsing... For free 😈

1. Is this feasible? As in. are there other OpenVPN servers that one can connect to? For eg NordVPN has a list of servers in many countries.
2. Will the OpenVPN protocol ensure these OpenVPN servers setup by others be safe? Or are there risks?
3. Usage experience - Speed mainly. I guess torrenting, netflix etc would be an overkill.

Please share details of any other projects running on your Rpi like NAS servers, Security camera etc.

1. Yes but you need access to the VPN servers, I doubt anyone would give it for free. All paid providers are essentially doing the same, OpenVPN would just be a client used to connect to the VPN server. I don't understand how it would make it free as you stated.

2. No. OpenVPN or the VPN client would just establish a secure connection to the remote server. What that server does or how it's configured is totally upto the maintainers of the remote server. I wouldn't trust a random remote server.

If your understanding is that if you install OpenVPN ie in this case just a VPN client would give free access to servers, sadly that wouldn't work.

Ok thanks @varkey
I came across this today on YouTube when searching for some other thing the Rpi can be used for.

I guess it's only useful when using a public network... Ie there -> home VPN server -> website...

running openvpn on pi only makes sense if you want to use your home network while you are on the move.
a lot of people do that on public networks. but i assume this would require a static ip.
but this is not optimal for privacy because your home internet isp is being used in the end.

running VPN on DigitalOcean would not require pi or any other device at your home. you use it directly on your computers, mobiles and tablets.

vpn on pi makes sense if you want a download machine at home which is what many of us use the pi for.

digital ocean would cost more than paying for a vpn service though. black friday means a LOT of deals are available today on long term VPN plans.

Last edited:
VPN on pi makes sense if you want a download machine at home which is what many of us use the pi for.

Thanks sushubh. I agree. But I'm not clear about the above comment. I assume it's to run a torrent client on. But then is the pi VPN used to queue torrents? From outside?

I'm okay with my downloading as I have a desktop with a larger storage, plex etc.

But then is the pi VPN used to queue torrents? From outside?

i am still not sure what you think pi is capable of. pi is just another computer. it uses your internet. it has the same ip address as your pc or your mobile. installing openvpn on it does not give you a vpn. vpn needs another server with another internet connection through with data is routed.

Last edited:
People are confused here. Open VPN is a VPN server. If you install on your raspberry pi, it will give you access to your local network and the internet provider it has from anywhere.

What general VPN providers do, in a simplified sense, is have this installed on their server and give you access from their server through their internet provider, which generally is not profiling you and its secure since there is encryption. Basically something like a Jio network with deep packet inspection can figure out all your data and your privacy is almost 0. BSNL injects ads in non http websites etc. This stuff will immediately stop since all they will see are encrypted packets on their pipeline. These are then deciphered by the provider server.

If you want VPN provider to be used on many clients since VPNs have client limits, you can find a router that supports open VPN and then put username and pass in it. It will connect to the server and all clients on your network can enjoy it.