Router Suggestions for Airtel Broadband?

• Thread starter Thread starter apuw
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 49
  • Views Views 8,835
ISP
MTNL
I am currently facing some issues with the router that Airtel had installed. I frequently get connection errors and the like which I am quite sure are because of the faulty router. The router looked used when they had installed it initially as well.

Any suggestions on which router should I buy for Airtel Broadband? Looking for one below the Rs. 2000 range. Currently on 24Mbps with Airtel but soon might upgrade to 40Mbps.

I have heard that the Mi router is good but I missed the sale. Is it any good good?

Thank You

adsl or vdsl?

i am guessing v-fiber based on the speeds.

@Sushubh I very recently got the Airtel broadband connection and they did not mention anything about v-fiber to me.

Since it is 24Mbps, it is definitely v-fiber. The requirement depends on area needed to be covered by the wifi. The modem airtel gave insufficient?

so it is likely that you would need a vdsl device. they are usually costlier than adsl devices. good ones cost above 4000 bucks. you should try contacting airtel support and ask them to replace your device as it is not providing reliable connectivity to you.

@Sushubh So, I have a 1600 sq. ft. house and I do not get optimal speeds in some of the room that are located further back. What would be a good range, high speed router in this case without regarding the cost?

honestly speaking, a single router at one part of the house is unlikely to offer equal coverage through the house. best would be to place it in the center of the house. ubnt products are quite good and they are designed to be installed on the roof which provides the most optimal coverage from what i have read.

Ideally you should have the router located in the center of the house to get even coverage in all directions, in either case, 1600 Sq ft should not be much of an issue with the current gen routers that are not economy grade. My apartment is bigger but yet my older WNDR3700 covers all of it without issues, the router of course is in the center of the house.

If it is square shaped(say 40x40).... then a single router in the centre is good enough but if it is long(say 80x20)..... then it might be a good idea to have a repeater or a cheap router as a repeater at other end.....

Say a combo of TL-WR841N.... was going at 850 less 10% CB at recent festival sales.....

right. if possible. get 2-3 cheaper routers around the house connected with ethernet. wireless repeaters do not give good performance.