Router security deposit

ISP
Airtel
I was just visited by the sales person for installation of BSNL FTTH, and I was surprised to know that these guys are asking for Rs.3500/- as a security deposit for the modem/router. It is non-refundable and not adjusted in rent either.

I had doubts if that person was lying l, so I checked the website and there was no mention of a security deposit.

Can anyone letme know if there is or isn't a security deposit.

It just looks like BSNL exists in a world of their own.

There’s no security deposit for modem. It’s their commission + cost of modem. BSNL won’t take back the modem nor will you get back this amount when you cancel the connection from the LCO.
My advise is find their OLT brand and just buy your own compatible ONT modem.

So I need to invest that money into buying my own ONT and pay them the commission separately. This is a very strange way to go.

The field sales guy threw around 3-4 different router brands. I remember him saying Unity amongst 3 others which I had never heard of. No way they are giving out Ubiquiti devices as ONT.

That's a good joke, the answer is no one. Since it's also quite expensive for any company to afford on a mass scale. Until then, Chinese routers/modems would still be the go-to for many in India.