Router recommendations for Airtel 1 Gbps plan?

• Thread starter Thread starter buggybuggy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 8,711
ISP
Airtel
Just got an Airtel 1 Gbps plan, luckily the team was in the same building setting up another connection. So all the wiring and hardware was all set in 2 hours. The activation is supposed to happen by tomorrow.

I am on Youbroadband 200 mbps right now and Dir 825 ac 1200 router works great, but for a 1 Gbps speed, I had to spend a lot of time today looking up a router that will actually come close to delivering 1 Gbps over wifi, heck anything over 800 mbps and I will be happy.

Which router do you guys use for a 1 gbps connection? What's your experience been like?

My Huawei wifi 6 router i bought from AliExpress is currently at delhi customs, if i get the package I will update what speeds I can achieve with wifi 6 and 160 Mhz bandwidth on wifi 5
This is with my Linksys router with Galaxy Note 10
20200801_083528.webp

Upvote 0
BTW, I use Asus RT-AX88U and it works perfectly for wireless devices like Intel AX200 m.2 NGFF cards. I get 950 Mbps. When using Wifi5 based iPhone X, I hit a cap of 550 Mbps. The clue here is to use a router which has 160 Mhz Channel width. Most cheap Wifi6 routers can do up to 80 Mhz width. Most phones too are just 80 Mhz (Except some top end Huawei ones)
Basically, most of the benefits of higher speeds of Wifi6 are lost when you choose a router that can do only 80 Mhz of channel width.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
9844173420.png

To anyone interested, the WIFI routers just don't measure up, I am going to be returning the WIFI router that i purchased, I think we all have to wait for WIFI 6 until we can get gigabit speeds on WIFI.

The above image is of me using a wired connection and it works great!

Regarding the experience of using a Gigabit internet for the first time, it's pretty wild, just to give you an idea, uploaded about 50 Gigs of data and it took about 5-6 mins. That's just nuts!

With regards to general browsing watching a 4k video and being able to skip to any part at will is instantaneous. But otherwise simple browsing will feel more or less the same as it feels on a 200 mbps connection, just a little snappier.
so the Nokia can handle gigabit after all ...interesting

Upvote 0
By bandwidth you mean wireless bandwidth?
Currently it's on 160 MHz on 5 GHz but no mobile device supports 160 MHz, so theoretical maximum on mobile is 1.2 Gbps while on laptops (intel ax 200/201) it's 2.4 Gbps

Upvote 0
How big is your room and 5Ghz would cover a small area(are you getting the same speed even when moving to a different room) how much is the upload & download. are there any packet lost on Airtel Gigabit plan. I am thinking of Asus GT-AX11000 however the price right now is too steep. Wifi 6, WPA3, OFDMA, Multi-Gig router port, VPN they all make this router future proof

Upvote 0
Different room definitely doesn't give speeds like this though it's definitely better than wifi 5, no packet loss on airtel gigabit
Will test and let you know what speeds i get in Different rooms

Upvote 0