Router config page simply does not open

• Thread starter Thread starter mad_hawk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 6,458

mad_hawk

ISP
Not Yet
Friends,Firstly, I'd like to know your experiences of the speeds experienced in using BSNL BB at various points during the day - if you have noticed them. Understandably (reasoning logically rather) for Home 500 ('upto 2 Mbps') users, it is bound to vary quite a bit during the day and the night depending on network traffic, isn't it? What is the max and the min speeds (d/l and u/l) you have experienced at say 10AM, 6PM and 12 midnight? Secondly, BSNL only issues dynamic IP addresses, isn't it? My doubt is: my torrent downloads are working, but i suspect the speeds are much lower than i could/should get. I wanted to try port forwarding as i had successfully used it previously when i had a different ISP, but as mentioned on one of my earlier posts a couple of days back, i am unable to open the config page of my UT300R2U router - 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 simply do NOT work for me. Can someone please suggest or reason why this could be or any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? (other details: i use a dial-up Ethernet-based LAN connectivity mode, and though i dont mind converting to always-on mode - if i knew how to get it to work, pls dont suggest converting to USB). Thanks a ton.- Mad_Hawk.And oh yes, i even tried opening my default gateway / IP address on my default browser by verifying it in cmd>ipconfig> (both Default gateway & IP address are the same 59.xx.xx.xx ). Also my Ethernet adapter LAN settings reveal that there is an Autoconfiguration IP Address (169.xxx.xx.xx) and a subnet mask (255.255.0.0)... just thought of adding in these details so that the kind-hearted folks here could reason out my problem.. since am not able to log into my router using any of the IP addresses, i dont even know what mode am using: bridge, dmz or virtual... my torrents just work at 25-30 kBps at all times during the day... 🙁🙁 somebody pls help!

^ Let me consider your router configuration problem . your default Gateway for the LAN card should be 192.168.1.1 if thisis set correctly then modem's configuration page should open withoutany problem . please give output of ipconfig/all command ...

Hi Seshu,Thanks for the response.The ipconfig/all output is as below:------------------------------------------------------------------C:\>ipconfig/allWindows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : a Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : NoEthernet adapter Local Area Connection 4: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-80-48-3F-F6-0D Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.xxx.xx.172 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . 😛PP adapter dataone: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 59.xx.xx.70 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 59.xx.xx.70 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.xx.xx.xx 218.xx.xx.xx NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled--------------------------------------------------------------I'm not able to understand... as u said, 192.168.1.1 should work for me.. but doesn't.. also, the system tray icon shows my ethernet-LAN connectivity as 'limited or no connectivity', but the internet works fine. Just pointing this out so that it might help diagnose things better.

Click on Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communication --> Network connectionsRight click on Local Area ConnectionClick on PropertiesHighlight Internet Protocol TCP/IPClick on Properties and enter :IP Address 192.168.1.xx { xx = 2 to 255 }Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0Gateway 192.168.1.1Preferred DNS 61.1.96.71Alternate DNS 61.1.96.69save settings and restart if prompted . now you should be able to reach modem's configuration page . "limitedor no connectivity" should also disappear now .

Hi Seshu,A few strange things happened. Firstly, i managed to open the router configuration page, by resetting my router (with a pin). But as i did so, i naturally lost connection to the Net, and when i tried to re-dial, i could not do so, as dialer did not work. So i re-created a new dialer, but that didnt help either.I figured that since the modem was reset, i had to re-configure it. So, i opened the router config page, and tried to set-up bridging mode (since i want to use a dialer). Despite several attempts, i was unable to get connected to the Internet. Finally, i set-up default PPPoE, but to my surprise, i was/am only able to connect in 'always-on' mode! And to my surpise again - i couldn't forward my ports - so no torrent d/l's work for me now! 😕The thing is: i have tried every single option this entire evening by connecting once in a while thru this mode, browsing our old forum posts on related topics, trying it out, and then disconnecting again and reconnecting, but after everything, only PPPoE with 'always-on' mode works. I am not able to get bridging mode nor any other mode to work, nor am i go back and get my original configuration to work (where i was still able to use a dialer on PPPoE, and everything was fine - i was able to use torrents).. to add insult to injury, my normal HTTP browsing speed is also very variable in this current mode (though that might be due to weekend network traffic)..🙁Seshu : Pls help! How do i get to set-up some mode of connectivity where 1> i'm able to use a dialer-based connectivity, so that i can run a scheduler for torrents (i'm on Home 500 plan), 2> ensure ports are either forwarded or totally bypassed (as it is in bridging)... Some more (hopefully non-trivial) things - what should the DSL Router IP Address (192.168.1.1) and Subnet Mask for LAN interface values be? Is 255.255.255.0 the same value of subnet mask for both the WAN and LAN components?I hope i'm dont sound complicated... As it stands, i can (and did) work upwards from scratch - i.e., assuming i had a modem which was reset (so that means it had default factory values), how would i go about manually configuring a connection from the beginning - that's what i want... in my current setup (that works), i have given LAN IP address as 192.168.1.3, subnet mask as 255.255.255.0, default gateway as 192.168.1.1, and have given the proper suggested DNS addresses...My need is to either get to my original state (PPPoE with dialer) or to a bridging mode with dialer.. my final objective is to schedule and download torrents at night and normal limited browsing at day... Thanks a lot for your patience.. i hope i have described my problem in a proper way.. pls let me know if you need any further details...

Hi Seshu, the screenshots and in fact the entire screen appearance of my modem config page no way resembles the (mydataone) guide screens.. in fact, when i called BSNL Tech support, they also mentioned the guide procedure similar to the one pointed out in this guide... but my entire screen varies.. how could this be? I have a UT300R2U modem/router only, but there is no wizard option or anything like it... is it possible that there is a problem with the installed firmware? Though similar options are present, there is quite a bit of difference.. anyway, i will try again in every way and post back... thanks.Am posting my initial screen (dsl router device info) page details, hope that helps in any way to figure my problem... one more thing, what is the firmware version / software version of the ut300r2u that is described in this & other similar guides?Board ID: 96338L-2M-8MSoftware Version: 3.08.BSNL_02.01.02_tr64.Bootloader(CFE)Version: 1.0.37-8.7Firmware Version: UT300R2U.0011.01Hardware Version: UT300R2U 2.2Model Name: UT300R2U

This is very strange. :O

BTW the UT300R2U modem/router comes with one QIG ( paper ) , and two Installation guide ( soft, on the CD) ; Did you tried them?

Hi,No, i did not get any paper/CD with the modem.. when i enquired about it at my exchange by calling them, he told they themselves had not got the CD when the boxes arrived from UT. I thought that to be strange, but i let it pass, because apart from the CD and the literature, the other required physical components were there, so i guess it didn't matter to me at that particular instant in time.Can someone tell me if there is any way to confirm if i have the right modem software / firmware? Is there some way to upgrade / reinstall?I tried all options now in the evening, but only the pppoe with always on works for me.. torrents dont work, cos i think ports aren't forwarded... i'm able to browse normal HTTP pages though, so even if i call BSNL tech support, i guess they would take this lightly and say that "Net is working fine"... guys, please help, is there some way i can get this configured right?Can someone post their UT300R2U DSL Router device info page (192.168.1.1 initial screen)? Are the details i have posted above the same as you have?I dont even know if this is a software / firmware problem... but how do i get the same default screens that everyone is getting - will updating/upgrading the s/w / firmware work? If so, how do i do that?

umm cant u find some pdf version of the manual from the web?i lost the manual for my camera but found the official pdf from Sony's website. it comes handy...

Well I have the manual at my hard-disk.And if someone need it, I'll be glad to send it but how?😕And Mad-hawk can you please post screenshot of your modem?

Friends,

Firstly, I'd like to know your experiences of the speeds experienced in using BSNL BB at various points during the day - if you have noticed them. Understandably (reasoning logically rather) for Home 500 ('upto 2 Mbps') users, it is bound to vary quite a bit during the day and the night depending on network traffic, isn't it? What is the max and the min speeds (d/l and u/l) you have experienced at say 10AM, 6PM and 12 midnight?

Secondly, BSNL only issues dynamic IP addresses, isn't it? My doubt is: my torrent downloads are working, but i suspect the speeds are much lower than i could/should get. I wanted to try port forwarding as i had successfully used it previously when i had a different ISP, but as mentioned on one of my earlier posts a couple of days back, i am unable to open the config page of my UT300R2U router - 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 simply do NOT work for me. Can someone please suggest or reason why this could be or any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? (other details: i use a dial-up Ethernet-based LAN connectivity mode, and though i dont mind converting to always-on mode - if i knew how to get it to work, pls dont suggest converting to USB).

Thanks a ton.

- Mad_Hawk.

And oh yes, i even tried opening my default gateway / IP address on my default browser by verifying it in cmd>ipconfig> (both Default gateway & IP address are the same 59.xx.xx.xx ). Also my Ethernet adapter LAN settings reveal that there is an Autoconfiguration IP Address (169.xxx.xx.xx) and a subnet mask (255.255.0.0)... just thought of adding in these details so that the kind-hearted folks here could reason out my problem.. since am not able to log into my router using any of the IP addresses, i dont even know what mode am using: bridge, dmz or virtual... my torrents just work at 25-30 kBps at all times during the day... 🙁🙁 somebody pls help!
Hi .. if u are geting or using 169 ip or forced in ur lan its of no use u wont be able to open the router gui page.... unforce the ip in the lan and the check the lan card is enabled . then check ipconfig. u will get the default gate way . use it. by default all the routers default gate way are 192.168.1.1. or 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.0.2... so if u get these in ipconfig well and good. if u still have trouble try to restart ur pc in safe mode with networking.. and check ipconfig .. if still the same then.. then uninstall the lan adapter and restart the pc. but dont uninstall in safe mode do it in normal mode.. then again check the ipconfig.. if still the same. then reset the router.. then turn off the router and after few min turn on the router as well as the pc reconnecting the ethernet cable.. u should get.. if u dont then its a fault wit the router..
make sure when u do this the ip should nt be forced in of the lan .

Hi Seshu, Manohar, other friends,I tried to do as Manohar said above and dialer (pppoe) working now... thanks a million, friends! Actually, earlier, after resetting the router and configuring the lan settings, i did not switch off the modem.. now i switched off the modem and then on again (after the reset), and all of a sudden it worked... i guess re-start and on-off is the key! 🙂But still, my screen looks different from the guides posted for the utr300r2u.. a friend of mine told that it is a BSNL "limited firmware", and thats why it looks so... could that be the reason? and yes, i did buy the modem from bsnl...1) friends, my problem with torrent still holds... can someone tell me what is the average speed that one would get for the Home500 plan - in utorrent 1.6 for a torrent which is highly seeded [in excess of 500 seeds and 250 leechers (peers)]... i have configured all the utorrent settings as mentioned in our forums after reading all of them carefully... but i only get 45 kBps at night, and lower than that in day... once in a while i get 90 kBps, but very briefly... can someone post optimal settings of utorrent for Home500 (2 mbps) users? Also,i have been using NOD32 as my antivirus, and i think it rocks.. so my query is, do i need a firewall or am i safe enough without one?