RM Stream download not working in sify

• Thread starter Thread starter sidney
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 3,106

sidney

I downoad english sermons from a church website

http://www.bcfellowship.org/archives.htm

i was pacenet 40 k line user.Using net transport i could download the rm streams and save them to hdd .

after shifting to sify 96k line , net transport doesnot download the rm streams .

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME PLEASE.

i am on winxp pro...i have turned off the firewall...

Pls.help me...
does sify down downloading rm streams - rtsp://......

I've never heard of rm streams and I can't find them on the site. Could you give a URL of a stream and the page you got it from?EDIT: I think I remember trying one of those long ago, try opening it directly through realplayer instead of your browser.

I think you're supposed to download the mp3 files as the website says by right-clicking on the MP3 button besides all the listings and clikcing on "Save Target As".Doing the above worked for me under Internet Explorer 6. It started downloading the mp3 files.

Thankyou for your replies...there are 3 options on the church site1)download the audio mp3 file - works fine2)click on real audio and hear streaming audio in real player - works fine3)click on real video and see streaming video in real player - works finebut using net transport the streaming video can be saved on your hdd and it can be viewed later or converted to mpeg and made a vcd .rtsp://12.161.118.194:554/bcfvideo1/v020120.rm?cloakport=8080,554,7070the above is an example...net transport had the option to save rm streams on hdd.but once i shifted to sify...net transport just doesnot start downloading rm streams.the other mp3 downlaods work fine but downlaods from rtsp:// does not work.does sify block them ? as it used to work fine on pacenet and als oworks fine in my friends dial up..But in sify this doesnot work.Is there a work around..?

You probably have the port 8080 closed by Sify. To determine go to http://www.grc.com and use their Shields Up! service to get your probe 8080 probed. Remember to turn off your firewall before getting yourself probed.

Contrary to what links might suggest the program used port 3555 and 3554. It worked fine for me the way it is. Maybe you are using an old version here's a link for version 1.94.279 that's what I used.
However Sify is known to block higher ports so maybe they are doing that in your area.

Thanks for the replies..i did the port scan inetbum suggested.it said all are in stealth and 23 is closed.0 ports open , 1 port closed 1055 stealthi dont understand ports .also anand i am using the latest net transport 1.94.279.my other downloads work fine only this stream downloads have stopped..also this sify reduces speed like anything...during day time i hardy get 4kb/s on this 96 k line...but night i get 11.1 kb/s.any settings to be done ????

Sify isn't that stupid, even they won't stealth all ports. Turn off your firewall or configure it to allow all traffic from that site.But that's almost useless now, seeing what ports are open. If all other downloads work and only this does not......I'm not sure but maybe the problem is on their side. I'm not familiar enough with this type of download to say for sure.

If it works for you on dial-up or other net connections and doesn't on Sify, it is a blocked port. We have seen too many of such problems with Sify. We just need to figure out which port is blocked for which protocol and service and then starts the ordeal of pestering Sify to open them up.And yeah, your firewall must be running when you got all ports stealthed. Could be XP's own firewall. You got to dsiable all proxies/routers/firewalls at your end before running that test.

It must be blocked ports...as that download used to work on my pacenet and on my friends dialup perfectly..Sify users on my lan are have problems like msn messenger disconnecting frequently , filetopia client disconnecting frequently , macfee antivirus installed with sify client clashing with other antivirus , etcSo this area might be having too many blocked ports by sify.Also while probing my xp firewall was off..i have no other firewalls on pc..Routers , proxies no idea... .there r wires all over the colony from one bldg to another....comming nto our homes to a lan card...ther is ahub or switch on each blgd and a servr in one bldg..we have pacenet , tata n sify all on the same wire...So i guess it SIFY PORT BLOCK PROBLEM...Finding which port is blocked is difficult as we dont know how...I am thankful for all the replies anand and inetbum...guess if things dont work i will have to go back to pacenet ...pacenet charges are almost double than that of sify...but everything works there and there are no speed reductions...prices for 64 k pacenet like = 96 k sify line.

That damn antivirus clashed with my Norton and kept stalling XP on startup :angry:

And I think Sify's 96 pack doesn't differ too much from the 48/64 packs :-|. Someone using the 96 pack would throw more light on this.If you have so much choice sidney you're better off without Sify 😉

Thanks for the replies ,I will finish this 1 month then maybe shift back to pacenet...Thanks for information and help..