reviews on mtnl garuda internet

• Thread starter Thread starter rachit_1804
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 49,923
wow ... seems like Garuda works for u.... but for guys like me getting connected at 28.8 kbps...and sulking at the mercy of slowest internet possible know ...Gosh !! Does someone has the knowledge here, which can help overcome this piece of S&^Twow ... seems like Garuda works for u.... but for guys like me getting connected at 28.8 kbps...and sulking at the mercy of slowest internet possible know ...Gosh !! Does someone has the knowledge here, which can help overcome this piece of S&^T..Just for this single post it has dc'd me 7 times...and took my 30 mins exact.

Hey, did you try Garuda?

Thinking about getting it, gotta upload lots of stuff and TATA Indicom is giving me just 50 - 60 kbps upload speeds.

Pre-Note:
this is phone review, internet review i will post later.

ok i got garuda FWP 3days back. i didnt go for internet directly because first i wanted to make sure that it has good signal strength.

and just 30min back i have applied for internet. it will take abt 2-3 more days.

but my 3day review (make sure u touchwood) is that its excellent! voice is clear, no disturbance. signal strength is full in all corners of house (my house is abt 700 mtrs far from exchange)

i got connection in 10days. they said it will take 8 days.
but as per them, their reg system was down for 5-6 days. i applied around 29th sep but their system went down next day. then they reged on 6th and i recd on 8th. one of my uncle got it in 4days. didnt face any problem in gettng connection as arunraj said. applcn was accepted in 4-5mins.

pros:
very cheap 399Rs a month
voice quality clear in my house (didnt check any other place)
local mtnl to mtnl, dolphin, trump, garuda free
50p/min any other local phone
sms available (didnt send any, but received)
installation 500 + 1000 refundable deposit
instrument free
basic features, phone book, caller id, call waiting, call fwd free
works all over mumbai (u need to carry instrument), so good if u go to stay some1 elses place for cpl of days.

cons:
on website and application form, they wrote 3 party conference is possible but 1502 ppl said its not there.
data cable does not come with phone, its provided only if u activate internet.
2 line display makes it difficult to read sms but not much of problem.

battery:
as per their booklet standby time is 22hrs and talktime is 3hrs. but i charged it for 8hrs on day one(8th) and have not charged it afterwards. its been abt 36hrs and battery is still showing 2 bars out of 3.(talked abt 1 n half hr)

internet:
coming in 2-3days

this post is using garuda. let me test it for cpl of days and i will write more.one thing is speed is slow. max i noticed is 48kbps = 6KB/s.it goes from 0 to 6 and then again goes down and that happens 2-3 times in just 1 min. so avg speed is hardly 2.5kb/s.weird thing is speed check using triband site gives 6.5KB/s = 52kbps and that too almost stable, doesnt go up and down. which means connection from my home to exchange is stable. there is problem on server which provides internet, which reduces speed outside MTNL network.hope they detect this and solve it.more later. as of now 6mb file it says will take 48mins!!some1 rightely said, dialup ki yaad dila di.oh and 1 more thing, this is INDEED dialup, because incoming/outgoing calls dont work when u r connected (unless phone goes in dormant mode which it does when there is no data activity)i expect net to be faster at night time. will check at night again.this phone going in dormant mode is problem. because when speed does down to zero, it thinks there is no activity and downloading gets stuck. workaround for this that i have implemented is ping google every 5 second.

no this is just backup. triband wud def stay.garuda is just for downloading. but i am getting impatient. currently speed has increased slightly and avg moved from 2.5KB to 3.3KB.i am not sure if i will keep it. will test it till end of month and then decide. hope speed improves by that time. if not 144kb then atleast 64kbps wud suffice.btw i first tried method of siddhuz2007 as given above. but now realised, that it works out of box without much fuss in FC6.all u need is plug the phone to PC. and its autodetected by FC6.then just run system-config-network and add new modem connection, fill in details (phone, user, pwd, ISP name=garuda), just make sure modem is /dev/ttyACM0. thats all.to connect, run: ifup garudato disconnect, run: ifdown garuda

getting 8KBps+(avg) right now, max reaching to 12-13KBps.speed fluctuations are less right now. day time avg was 3KBps.more testing tomorrow.

ok after 2-3 days of testing. here is what i have to say abt garuda internet.1) It is a dialup type connection but unlike dialup it does not disconnect frequently and also speed does not become less less less as time passes per connection.2) Just like dialup ur phone remains engaged when internet is in use.a) i use call fwd to some other number so i do not miss incoming calls.b) there is something called dormant mode, which switches phone to phone mode (instead of data mode) when there is no data activity.3) Now here is important part of garuda and what i noticed.The speed keeps going up and down from 0 to 6KB/s in single minute. and avg u get is 3KB/s in day time.BUT what i think is garuda ppl are using some kind of squid delay pools which probably does not work well with CDMA technology or they have misconfigured something.they are limiting only port 80 hence what i did is use some proxy NOT running on port 80 and bravo my avg speed went to atleast 5KB/s and many times above 8KB/s and now i also see max speed touching 15KB/sjust right now i was able to download 4.5MB in 10 mins.

Looks promising. I will try it out. Dial up internet is way better then no internet with TATA Indicom.

day time it goes slow. night time i get good speeds upto 8-9KB/s avg. i have taken this just for downloading and saving MTNL triband MBs.if u r looking for surfing/reading, then its good, but heavily loaded pages wud make u impatient.right now getting 3KB/s avg.uploading i have not tested, but appears very slow. even posting this post takes 15-30 seconds after clicking "post quick reply"

looks like garuda ppl read this forum. from yesterday afternoon they seem to have blocked all ports excepthttp (80), https (443), dns (53), ftp (21).even ping (icmp) is blocked.in short i can no more connect to yahoo messenger (port 5050). and may be MSN messenger (port 1863) wont work.hope they read this too and remove the restriction.oh one more thing 2-3 times i noticed that internet stops working. u cant even connect. so u have to switch off phone and switch it on again, every cpl of days. just like siddhuz2007 reported earlier in this thread.

the restrictions are removed now (are they actually visiting this forum?)

Dear Sir,I own a Garuda FW Landline phone number I have been using the Garuda internet services under the plan 299 unlimited since more than 6 months now. From the beginning of the service till date, the internet service has remained unreliable and has never given proper speeds of even a dialup connection of 56 KBPS.I have several areas to complain and want to know infomation as below1. When will the Garuda services be at par with other CDMA services such TATA Indicom or Reliance CDMA and provide proper dialup speeds of atleast 144 KPBS without disrupting the service every other day.2. When I call your call center number 1502, they always have a reply that the server is down and for any further information contact Bandra Kurla Exchange. Sadly, no one ever picks up the phone at Bandra Kurla Exchange, hence, I would like to know why you are maintaining such a USELESS call center where they have no answers to any questions related to Internet service. Moreover the call center is manned only from 7 am to 8 pm and not round the clock (although it would not make any difference). The latest information I got was that servers are down and service will resume on 15th Dec 2007, the date I had called was 6th Dec 2007, so it takes 9 days to rectify a problem, or this is a standard answer provided to consumers.3. I have been repeatedly told that Mr. Gholap is the chief engineer who looks after the Internet services, but, he is never reachable either on his desk or his mobile number provided, nor an email is provided. The DGM Mr. Rahat Kumar is also not traceable, so who is the responsible person who can answer or solve my queries related to Internet.-- Kulin Shah

never disclose ur phone numbers in publicly visible forums.edit the post and delete the numbers

:yahoo:have any one checked
Code which u have given (AT+CTA=10)
has worked for my modem I was really fed up with frequent disconnect thanks can you give me suggestions how I can improve speed of modem

limewire, strong dc++, bitcomet, utorrent doesnt, sharekhan online, doesnt works many of the ports are not open
eg: port 24390 for bitcomet (this is only xample many ports are closed by mtnl isp)

download speed of the mtnl garuda is avg 18KBps which is ok in 299RSpm

surfing speed is not constant it varies frequently (very bad mtnl should to work on it)

disconnect in between (hantel htp-801 1X) can be over come using at script
in modem advance settings

++right click- my computer>manage>device manager>modem>hantel usb modem>right click- properties>advanced

++in extra initialization commands field write
AT+CTA=10
click ok

There is no ready made rpm or config file for qualcom hantel usb modem
you have to configure it

i have tried on
fc3
fc5
fc6
rhel 4

you can try on other and post the reply

YOU MUST BE 'root'.

First step is to issue the command \"dmesg\" in Xterm/console to see if your [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]USB[/color][/color] controller(s) have been found and registered. Many [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Linux [COLOR=blue ! important]distributions[/color][/color][/color] have a nasty habit of NOT loading any usb modules unless something known to Linux is plugged into a [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]usb [COLOR=blue ! important]port[/color][/color][/color]! If you are lucky, you will see your phone listed - if not, don't worry because either way, it isn't going to work yet! You must see something like: \"USB hub found\" and \"2 ports detected\". This doesn't guarantee that they are working though. Only if you see \"usbcore: (something)\" can you be sure that the usb system is workable.

Whatever, keep your fingers crossed and continue.

Next, go to /sbin and issue the command \"modprobe cdc-acm\" or \"modprobe acm\". (Names vary according to distribution and kernel version. If one reports \"Not Found\" try the other.) Run \"dmesg\" again to see the result. Hopefully, you will now see three lines or so describing a \"USB ACM device\". You should also see \"ttyACM0\" or something similar - this is your modem's location —> /dev/ttyACM0. Again this may vary according to the kernel version and a search of /dev/usb may find something.
Now, let us double check that all is OK with \"cat /proc/modules\" - cdc-acm or acm is there? If yes, then your phone is about to come alive.

What happens next depends on your distribution. Shutdown and restart. Check again \"cat /proc/modules\". If cdc-acm or acm is there, then your system has automagically added the module. If not, you will have to add it to /etc/modules.conf manually.

Restart again, and again, until this step has been completed successfully. If you haven't got this stage working, it will be a waste of time to continue.

Step 2
We need \"wvdial\" for this modem/phone. I am using Alinux which is a one CD distribution. So lack of space on the CD means a lot of items are missing. If you have a monster distribution, then perhaps you have everything, but not necessarily the correct versions. Therefore I suggest that you start out fresh by downloading the latest versions of each required package. \"wvdial\" is very sensitive about the versions of its dependent packages.

I don't like compiling stuff so we'll get ready made RPM's from About Rpmfind.Net WWW Server a.k.a. Rufus.W3.Org or elsewhere. If a package doesn't exist specifically for your distribution then Mandrake packages seem to work well. (Yes, I know Mandrake has changed its name but rpmfind.net still identifies them that way!) OpenSuse packages work too when Mandrake is not available.

I would further suggest using \"kpackage\" so that you can easily check for \"Unsatisfied Dependencies\". This is IMPORTANT!!! Forcing a package to install without all the dependent packages will result in failure. You have been warned!

Right let us get started.
First we need xplc
I used xplc-0.3.12-1.i586.rpm

Next comes libwvstreams but this needs libdb-4.2.so and libpam.so.0
*This is probably way out of date by the time you read this, so check these dependencies carefully!

Look in /lib AND /usr/lib to see if you have these.

Finally wvdial itself. It requires libwvutils which is presumed to be part of libwvstreams?

Once again, I warn you - if these packages didn't install correctly, don't bother to continue.

Step 3
Remove any other modems from your system or wvdial will find the \"wrong\" modem! Built-in modems (on your main-board) need to be disabled in the bios setup.

Setup wvdial with wvdialconf (after reading the man page please!)

It must reject all the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]COM [COLOR=blue ! important]port[/color][/color][/color] locations before it finally finds your usb modem/phone (hopefully).

Found it?

Then goto /etc/ppp
No need to 2 do it mtnl have both usname and pass
___Edit your pap-secrets and chap-secrets files. Both need one line ___containing:
___username * password *
___(Those are tabs - not spaces - between the items)

Check /etc/ppp/options to make sure it doesn't have anything silly in it! We will override this file anyway.

Check /etc/ppp/peers that it contains two wvdial files. You can change the \"name\" part in these files if desired to your connection name. If this directory doesn't exist, then wvdialconf wasn't run successfully!

Finally, edit /etc/wvdial.conf
This is my copy:

Code:
[Dialer mtnl]
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+CTA=10
ISDN = 0
Modem Name = CDMA
Modem Type = USB Modem
Phone = #777
Username = mtnl
Password = mtnl1234
Stupid Mode = 1
PPPD Options = crtcts multilink usepeerdns lock defaultroute

Obviously change your phone number, username, password to suit your connection.

The connection name is after \"Dialer\" in the square brackets. Choose your own name.

That's it! Configuration is complete.

Step 4
Some distributions have a damn silly pppd so you had better check it first.

Enter \"pppd\" in the Xterm/console and see what happens.

Any error message should tell you what to do. On my system, the daemon was running but it gave an error message saying that /dev/ppp didn't exist. OK, make it! Next restart and it didn't exist again!?! Put \"mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0\" at the end of rc.M in /etc/rc.d - fixed! If you're using sysV, figure out where to put it yourself.

If all is well with pppd, you will see garbage being printed out on your screen. Don't worry, it stops after a few lines. Garbage means it is working properly -duh!

Step 5
OK! We are ready. Open Xterm and type \"wvdial (connectionname)\" wvdial mtnl, that is \"wvdial ptcl\" in my case.
Now you can either celebrate or go back and check your spelling! It should be working.
ctrl-c breaks the connection when you are finished.

Final Notes
The pppd options are guesswork. Probably multilink isn't supported and if the modem uses crtcts or not, I really don't know. However they don't break anything so I leave them there.

The baud rate is highly optimistic - 115200 is the actual [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]connection [COLOR=blue ! important]speed[/color][/color][/color] from PTCL.

If it won't initialize your modem, remove any lock file from /var/lock and try again.

There seems to be a rather short \"no-activity\" timer on PTCL so have your browser up and ready first, before connecting.

A strange point is that your username and password is not used by the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]ISP[/color][/color], but wvdial itself needs it.

HAVE FUN!

very bad firmware of hantel usb modem
gets struck in between
has to reset the phone in a week (as per i observed for proper working)

also new firmware of htp 801 is available
mtnl office at bandra kurla complex & vashi

pple near by that area plz try and reply the different

pple having problem plz take efforts to write to mtnl

cust service of mtnl is not good they dont know any thing