Review on Tata Sky+ HD True VOD Service (Download Content Via Broadband Internet on Lan Port)

• Thread starter Thread starter madhusudhan7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 63
  • Views Views 21,808

madhusudhan7

leaguemaddy
ISP
ACT 300 Mbps FTTB | Airtel 200 Mbps FTTH backup | Airtel 4g B593 Router | Airtel 5g on Mobile
Background: A lot of people were asking for review on the New TS+ HD VOD Service & also screenshots. I received the update which activated the service today and here's a quick snapshot of it

Ways of checking if the service is active on your TS+ HD:
1. Go to organizer then system settings, a new option "IP Diagnostics" shows up (Pic #1 below) > Connecting a network cable from your router/modem will allow the box to connect to internet. More info can be seen in Pic #3 below. Please note that only DHCP mode of networking works with this box as of now, if someone has Static IP configuration within the network or PPPoE etc then they need to configure the network for DHCP mode
2. Within the Organize menu under System Details the 'Release Number' of the software would have changed to '106' (Pic #2)
3. A new option 'Download Manager' is shown below 'Plan' menu (Pic #4)
4. All the different channels like 'Free Movies' etc can be seen Under VOD option. I currently have about 8 Channels on my box as seen in Pic # 5 & 6

Picture # 1:

Picture # 2:

Picture # 3:

Picture # 4:

Picture # 5:

Picture # 6:

Picture # 7:

Picture # 8:

Picture # 9:

Picture # 10:

Picture # 11:

Picture # 12:

Picture # 13:

----------

Not that much of review after all is it, there was nothing much to describe anyways:

Only Update after Pic # 5 & 6: You can go to 'Free Movies' section & download all of the movies available, there are other categories like Channel V, Colors, Sab etc which have some recently aired episodes of the TV Serials(Mostly episodes aired in end November or early December). I personally downloaded the 'Golmaal' movie for testing - AV quality if fine - DVD like quality & although i didn't count there should be more than 50 movies in the Free Movies list as of now. There is no paid content as of now nor was i communicated about a monthly fee - so i guess one of those introductory offers for the moment. BSNL IPTV i had in past also has something similar - quiet a few old movies were under free section & the download wouldn't get counted against the monthly tariff either

Conclusion: This service is good, another add on & a good initiative by Tata Sky but not really sure how many users will adopt this when TS will start charging for the service - paying for the VOD Service & also a internet connection to download the content does not work out well except for the lucky few with Unlimited plan(Non FUP)

PLEASE TAKE THE POLL ABOVE TO UNDERSTAND HOW MANY OF US ARE WILLING TO PAY A MONTHLY FEE FOR THIS SERVICE. THANK YOU
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Updates:

1. A movie download takes approx 1 to 1 1/2hr on a 4 Mbps internet plan, the image below should help people who would like to know the download size of each movie:

Note this was after i downloaded 'Golmaal' Movie only - so each movie is approx 1.8gb !
P.S: This image is from my router page, not really sure about the accuracy of the information but should be +/- 10%

If you don't have a Ethernet cable to connect the STB to your router then an alternative is a Wifi Bridge, not sure if they are readily available in india but i bought it from here: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/vap11g-ieee802-11b-g-wifi-bridge-blue-100432 ...They are rather easy to configure & the best alternatives to the otherwise messy cable running from one room to another
Else you can also buy a Wireless Repeater from Indian website, Eg: http://www.ebay.in/itm/MINI-PORTABL...4?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item2a1683b5f8

3. The New VOD Service has 7 TV channels + Free Movies section as of now. Check Pics # 5 & 6

4. This STB seems to be a 100 Mbps port from my initial findings, that was the connection established when i connected it to my laptop with Gigabit port. Hope this helps

Procedure to Try manual update on TS+ HD:
When ur stb is on, close it from the mains without switching off from remote. After some time switch on stb from mains and when 'please wait initializing' comes on screen, press back button twice and then press 2465. Software will start downloading.

The New VOD Service with free movies comes up only when the Ethernet cable is connected & internet is working, else we see the old VOD menu with some 'Comedy' etc clips stored offline on the HDD. *this also means we can now access the old VOD Menu with Charlie Chaplin's, Lucy's comedy clips 'only' when the Ethernet cable is disconnected. I also noticed that the transition time for getting the option when we connect the Ethernet cable is almost instant without any time lags or the need to restart

Last edited by a moderator:
How much time does it take to download?

How much time does it take to download?

Didn't check exactly but approx 1 to 1 1/2hr - I'm on a 4 Mbps internet plan.

BTW the image below should help people who would like to know the download size of each movie :

Note this was after i downloaded 'Golmaal' Movie only - so each movie is approx 1.8gb !

P.S: This image is from my router page, not really sure about the accuracy of the information but should not be +/- 10%

It will surely eat up the bandwidth and we are sure to reach FUP in the first week itself. This service needs complete freedom from FUP or something like Indiagames GOD service where the ISP's dint consider the download of the Games.Currently downloading Ishiqiya as i missed that movie.

@ madhusudhan7: Very Nice review Bro. Hope this will help all TS users a lot . :thumbup1:

@madhusudhan7nice review!!!can you tell which all channels are available?

@madhusudhan7
nice review!!!
can you tell which all channels are available?

7 TV channels + Free Movies section as of now. Check Pics # 5 & 6

----------

Is the LAN port Gigabit?

Seems to be a 100 Mbps port from my initial findings, that was the connection established when i connected it to my laptop with Gigabit port. Hope this helps

Not really sure if this qualifies as a first since IPTVs have always had this feature. Airtel called it Timeshift where in a good 40 channels (or was it 35?) were available for upto a week after their telecast. Same is the case here. That too downloaded over IP, so technically, I guess the VOD qualifies as IPTV

Only issue will be to have the ethernet cable going to the STB. Currently I have my cable going from a room to my living area.Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

well its different from IPTV in the sense that IPTV doesnt download the VoD stuff onto ur STB ie it streams it and the video starts playing immediately..here u have to wait for anything between half hour- to 1.5 hrs for it to download and then play it..pretty lame..the least they can do is to make it FUP free and start streaming it over the IP network..can have a lower bitrate version for slow connections

Airtel IPTV is a flop, IPTV will remain the same. On DTH platform it's first from Tata Sky.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

I wouldnt call it a flop

image quality could be better, but for a 25 inch tv, its good enough. and timeshift is still awesome

^ i wonder what is the problem with IPTV why is it not successful in India? I have used it abroad on a copper ADSL connection and it works flawlessly..probably something to do with our poor line conditions