Review of Wish Net Broadband FTTH Connection

• Thread starter Thread starter Mickey7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 31,231
Wish Net Pvt. Ltd. is Kolkata based ISP but they do provide connections all over West Bengal. It's a Category B ISP (according to the Department of Telecommunication, GoI).

Initially, they used to be the major rival of Alliance broadband (which is also a Kolkata based ISP, once used to be Category-B now they have upgraded to Category-A) and their service was almost at par with Alliance (in terms of tariffs, browsing & streaming, online gaming, etc.).

Plans merged.webp

Pic: Alliance vs Wish Net Broadband plans comparison (2014-15)

Cut to 2020, things have changed, now Wish Net have re-introduced their FTTH plans with attractive speeds for incredibly low prices

Plans Wishnet.webp

Obviously, I was also astonished after seeing their new tariffs and decided to get a new connection this year (though I first approached Alliance, as I was an Alliance user for about 4.5 years since 2015 but they couldn't provide a connection in my location, Darn!)
I didn't have a better choice other than Wish Net cause other ISPs were worse.

Got the new fiber connection after paying the installation fees of 3000 rupees (without a router), which includes a Chinese ONT.
Speeds are good for domestic servers (attaching some screenshots) (I'm subscribed to 100 Mbps plan)

Untitled_5.webp

Untitled5.webp

My excitement came to a halt after a few days while playing some multiplayer games, as most of the time connection used to be disconnected, and the ping was really high. Felt something fishy and tested the NAT type, and guess what, it was STRICT

Untitled.webp

Contacted their customer care service and in response, they told me that it was due to the changing Public IP and suggested me to get their Biz plan (1 Static IP) in order to solve this issue. That is ridiculous, as their Biz plan is 3 times more expensive than what I'm paying currently.

Googled this issue, and found out that I was not the only one, as there were other fellow users who were also facing the same

Untitled2.webp

>> Now here are the final points regarding Wish Net Broadband:

1) Speeds are good for domestic servers, but for International servers, there's no use of 100 Mbps or 200 Mbps plans as you won't get anywhere near to that. (refer to a nicely described Answer by @Realme )
2) All ports are blocked (even port 80). Though they used to keep open some of the ports earlier now that's not an option anymore (thanks to their Biz plans, marketing at its best)
3) From May 2020 NAT type is Open on the Xbox server and Moderate on the Rockstar server.
4) Peering is not that good

So, that's all that I've experienced after using Wish Net for about 3 months.

There were times when I used to blame the Alliance guys for slow download speeds or small connection time-outs when they used to conduct some periodic maintenance, but now the scenario is different. And gradually, you become wise enough (in terms of technicality) to appreciate the Quality of the Internet rather than some Lucrative speeds.

Edit: 20/09/2021: It has been 1 and a half years since I'm using Wishnet and this review still holds my present experience. Now coming to the main part, this review is purely my personal opinion and in no way it is motivated by any external means. Now if you (who's reading this review) want to make a decision whether or not to take the Wishnet broadband connection then you surely shouldn't get driven by only this review, do your own research & make an apt choice beneficial to you.

Peace ✌🏼 🙂

Last edited:
There are a few members in this forum, using Hathway & H-Fiber.
@sumantrab99 is one of them, whom I can recall as of now. You can ask him, I'm sure he'll be generous to assist you in this issue.

@preetam88

You can refer to my previous post where I did some tests regarding latency and NAT (Open-NAT).

Refer to this thread: Hathway asking 15k for a direct connection | Hathway Broadband H Fiber FTTH

I never played any games on my connection so can't help you there.

P.S.: On 16th of June 2020 I lost my H-Fiber connection due to an extremely unstable network. Long story short - Poor connection since Amphan; no one helped me neither Hathway nor LCO; LCO insisted on changing ISP; had to give up H-Fiber & shift to GTPL KCBPL. I was too depressed after this so never got a chance to write a post about it. I am still trying to get my H-Fiber connection back.

I think it depends on the area you live. I use Wishnet too and the NAT type says "Open" here.

@sumantrab99 Which area are you in? I am in Hind Motor - Bhadrakali joint and I was a Hathway user who just moved to Jio Fibre but not really happy with its speeds, so contemplating to switch back. How do I know whether the Hathway i had was H-Fiber or standard one? I paid 600 PM (excluding tax) for 50 mbps / 25 mbps up and down.

@hallow2087 I'm from Bhadrakali area, near the post office (Sakherbazaar).
What you had was Hathway direct, not H-Fiber. You can find my post here (link) that might help you distinguish between the two.

I've been reading all your posts about moving from Hathway to Airtel to Jio but didn't want to intervene as I was quite busy lately. I don't know why Airtel didn't work out for you, as I've heard nothing but good things about them. Jio isn't bad either, but if given the choice, I would go with airtel any day.

In my area (Bhadrakali - Uttarpara), Airtel is served directly from the backend (connected to mobile towers and such). There is no LCO model anywhere, at least not in Uttarpara. Where I live, I have the option to go for LCO (GTPL, Alliance), BSNL Bharat Fibre, Hathway Direct, Airtel, or Jio. All are served via FTTH. But I decided to stay with LCO and didn't opt for any of the Class A ISPs mentioned above. Why? Because it suits my purpose. I have a thing for TATA backend, and I get the flexibility of changing the backend with this LCO based model.

Let me know if I can help you with anything, and I'll try my best.

@sumantrab99 Thank you for linking to your post. Now the difference between is clear between H-Fiber and standard Hathway and yes, I used the latter.

As for why I left airtel for Jio, is solely due to the poor latency issues of airtel. You will see that I compared Hathway and airtel ping results in many screen grabs. Airtel's routing to Mumbai, Singapore and European servers (Frankfurt mainly) were poor compared to Hathway's and later Jio's. As a CS player the main thing I need from my broadband is the quality of routing and airtel didn't meet my requirements. But yes, their speeds were excellent. I didn't notice any throttling while downloading torrents, in fact they gave more than advertised speed.

With Jio now, I have no issues with latencies (however I don't think it's better than Hathway's anyway) but they throttle speeds, A LOT. Hence, I've decided to not continue with Jio when their trial offer ends by the end of this month and move back to Hathway, until airtel sorts the latency issues, then I would like to switch back to them.

PS: Bhadrakali PO is within 1 km from my house. It's nice to see a town fellow here.

Alliance is dogshit bro. I had it for 1 year. Sometimes there would be issues with speed, and I kid you not at least once in every 4 days there would be disconnecting issues. And I had to beg him on whatsapp for the entire morning, so he would fix it by early night. Annoyed by this disconnecting issues, he suggested me to get fiber connection.They dont even give fiber for free. I had to pay 2000 extra.(this is after installation charges.) My local isp was living near so I had to beg him to fix my internet. And everytime he wont be at hos residential office and wont pick up phone after 6pm. IN SHORT DONT GET ALLIANCE, NOT ONLY THEY SCAM U THEY MAKE YOUR LIFE MISERABLE.