Review of Wish Net Broadband FTTH Connection

• Thread starter Thread starter Mickey7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 31,232
Wish Net Pvt. Ltd. is Kolkata based ISP but they do provide connections all over West Bengal. It's a Category B ISP (according to the Department of Telecommunication, GoI).

Initially, they used to be the major rival of Alliance broadband (which is also a Kolkata based ISP, once used to be Category-B now they have upgraded to Category-A) and their service was almost at par with Alliance (in terms of tariffs, browsing & streaming, online gaming, etc.).

Plans merged.webp

Pic: Alliance vs Wish Net Broadband plans comparison (2014-15)

Cut to 2020, things have changed, now Wish Net have re-introduced their FTTH plans with attractive speeds for incredibly low prices

Plans Wishnet.webp

Obviously, I was also astonished after seeing their new tariffs and decided to get a new connection this year (though I first approached Alliance, as I was an Alliance user for about 4.5 years since 2015 but they couldn't provide a connection in my location, Darn!)
I didn't have a better choice other than Wish Net cause other ISPs were worse.

Got the new fiber connection after paying the installation fees of 3000 rupees (without a router), which includes a Chinese ONT.
Speeds are good for domestic servers (attaching some screenshots) (I'm subscribed to 100 Mbps plan)

Untitled_5.webp

Untitled5.webp

My excitement came to a halt after a few days while playing some multiplayer games, as most of the time connection used to be disconnected, and the ping was really high. Felt something fishy and tested the NAT type, and guess what, it was STRICT

Untitled.webp

Contacted their customer care service and in response, they told me that it was due to the changing Public IP and suggested me to get their Biz plan (1 Static IP) in order to solve this issue. That is ridiculous, as their Biz plan is 3 times more expensive than what I'm paying currently.

Googled this issue, and found out that I was not the only one, as there were other fellow users who were also facing the same

Untitled2.webp

>> Now here are the final points regarding Wish Net Broadband:

1) Speeds are good for domestic servers, but for International servers, there's no use of 100 Mbps or 200 Mbps plans as you won't get anywhere near to that. (refer to a nicely described Answer by @Realme )
2) All ports are blocked (even port 80). Though they used to keep open some of the ports earlier now that's not an option anymore (thanks to their Biz plans, marketing at its best)
3) From May 2020 NAT type is Open on the Xbox server and Moderate on the Rockstar server.
4) Peering is not that good

So, that's all that I've experienced after using Wish Net for about 3 months.

There were times when I used to blame the Alliance guys for slow download speeds or small connection time-outs when they used to conduct some periodic maintenance, but now the scenario is different. And gradually, you become wise enough (in terms of technicality) to appreciate the Quality of the Internet rather than some Lucrative speeds.

Edit: 20/09/2021: It has been 1 and a half years since I'm using Wishnet and this review still holds my present experience. Now coming to the main part, this review is purely my personal opinion and in no way it is motivated by any external means. Now if you (who's reading this review) want to make a decision whether or not to take the Wishnet broadband connection then you surely shouldn't get driven by only this review, do your own research & make an apt choice beneficial to you.

Peace ✌🏼 🙂

Last edited:
@Nitin I think you're confused.
All these ranges you have mentioned are used for implementing CGNAT.
Only addresses change but they're still under CGNAT.
CGNAT works by sharing a single public ip to different multiple customers.
So each customer gets a private ip which is mapped to a public ip whenever communication happens the nat would translate the request and send the data to correct private ip within the network.

Reactions: GR2
You are missing the point, it doesn't matter what IP address range is used, it remains CG-NAT. @Nitin

And Jio appears to have run out of private IP address space, that they now even use public un-used IP address space ie 56.0.0.0/8 and 25.0.0.0/8 for CG-NAT.

Ya, you guys are correct. I am sorry, I didn't read the Wikipedia article about cg-nat properly. I thought cg-nat is just about 100 ip block

Also, i used to get nat type 2(moderate) on ps4 but now i get type 3(strict)?. Do you think jio has blocked the ports?. On jio 4g thou i get type 2.

Last edited:
Edit: 27/06/2020

NAT Type is Open from the last month (till now).
Don't know whether it's an effect of innumerable complaints on different portals, or they've got some hefty setback on their marketing (ahem, Biz plans)

Whatever be the reason hoping that the current scenario will sustain. Better for us, better for them.
Peace ✌🏼

Untitled.webp

How did the Wishnet NAT changed for you?
I am at my home which has Wishnet connection and started playing online multiplayer games and noticed terrific lags for the first time ever even though the net speeds were decent at 55mbps.
Also, speed test on PS4 always gave an error in NAT Type. IP fragmentation error. Checked with different routers, cables and everything and finally found out that the issue is with Wishnet and their closed NAT Type. Called them up and they have absolutely no clue. They are telling that if I am getting ping then internet connection is fine, NAT is not an issue 🤷‍♂️
I am planning to switch to Alliance Broadband as that's the only decent connection available in my area. Anyone has idea about it's NAT type? Is Alliance good for gaming?

@preetam88
Hey buddy, it's really sad to know that you're facing some sort of discrimination (I guess?!)

One probable reason for the abovesaid issue might be the lack of congruence between ISP & LCO
As you might be knowing that most of the Tier 2 & Tier 3 ISPs (and even some Tier 1 ISPs also) follow quasi-federal business structure (to some extent), in which there are mainly 2 layers of authorization namely, The main company & the corresponding LCOs. So there might be instances when the ISP is trying to provide you some extra features but facing some disagreement with your Local Cable Operator.

As of now, I'm getting Open NAT type. Can't say about the future.
Untitled.png

And to answer your second query, yes I've been an Alliance user for more than 4 years (in Kolkata area), & I'm pretty much content with their service (though it wasn't that good during 2015-16)

So, in my opinion, you could consider the following 2 options :
1) Go for the Alliance, but make sure to opt for their Optical Fiber connection (as copper wire won't provide you speed > 40 Mbps)
2) And if you've deep pockets, then go for Airtel Xstream fiber (which I guess the best broadband connection you can get in India right now).

Peace ✌🏼

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply man.
I wanted to take Airtel Xtreme but they do not service in my area unfortunately.
The only options I've at the moment are Alliance, Hathway ans Wishnet unfortunately. And, Alliance is not providing Fiber Optic in this area yet. They are telling they are laying out the cables and it will take around 2 months to get Fiber connection.
Are yoy sure about the speed of Alliance copper wire connection?
I am currently on Wishnet normal copper wire connection and I am getting constant speed of around 55-58 Mbps even though the promised speed is 70mbps.
I guess I don't have any other option other than opting for Alliance broadband.

I am currently on Wishnet normal copper wire connection and I am getting a constant speed of around 55-58 Mbps even though the promised speed is 70mbps.
Yup, that's the drawback of copper wire, even if you have a 100 Mbps plan it won't provide you speed beyond the 50-60 Mbps spectrum (though as per theory for Cat 5e it maxes out at 100 Mbps).
So speed will decrease with time in a proportional manner (as a result of mechanical decay).

It would be better to wait for the coming two months and then upgrade to Alliance fiber connection (that would be cost-efficient). But if you're a serious online gamer then these two months gonna test your patience.

Yeah man.
I've been patient for the last 2 months but now I think I've reached the threshold.
I think I am gonna shift to Alliance Broadband for now as I don't have any other option. Hope Alliance will not give me any issue with the NAT as they have confirmed that their NAT type is Moderate and not strict.

Hit another roadblock with switching connection. Alliance Broadband is completely down here for most as it seems CESC has cut wires. Their minimum waiting period for a new connection is 25-30 days. Now the only option I've left with is switching to Hathway Broadband.
Can anyone please let me know how is Hathway Broadband in Kolkata? Specially for gaming? Do they have moderate NAT?
I don't have to pay any installation charges or anything for switching to Hathway. Just need to inform my local LCO that I want to switch from Wishnet to Hathway.

TIA