Review of Tachyon Broadband Lucknow + Static IP

• Thread starter Thread starter drtech
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 11,736
I am creating this thread to share my experience with Tachyon Broadband (available pan Lucknow, as far as DLFC city Raebareli Road)

Customer since : 03 Oct 2019
Login type : PPPoE
Default IP Type : CG-NAT (No dynamic public IP)
Static IP Cost : 2100 per annum (including GST, available on cheapest plans also).
ONU Details : Syrotech D401 Single Gigabit LAN ONU (by default in Bridge mode, give your own router or buy from them)

Bridge mode works flawlessly, during an entire year, I almost never had to reboot my ONU even once, except for the occasional power cuts (once or twice a month).

As of today (26-09-2020), I have completed almost a whole year with Tachyon and I must say that I am sufficiently pleased. I was previously subscribed to their unlimited plan UL699 which offered 50 Mbps up/down, with my monthly usage topping somewhere near 1TB. Service was excellent, hardly any downtime, same day complaint resolution, and above all their staff is TECHNICALLY COMPETENT and in fact does understand if I present them with slightly complicated network setup. Torrents work flawlessly, no websites are filtered or blocked even on CG-NAT.

All residential plans come by default with A CG-NATTED IP, which is more than fine for 90% of the users, and I can't really complain given their dirt cheap rates. Speed was constant @ 55+ Mbps, ping was stable, I'm not a gamer hence can't say exactly, but to AWS-MUMBAI tier pings were well within 40ms. 1.1.1.1 : 38ms; Airtel North Static : <50ms

That was the case up until September 2020, when Jio came out with their new truly unlimited fiber plans and as like other ISPs, Tachyon Broadband was forced to update their plans (updated plans).

With the updated plans, I was now getting 50 Mbps @ 499+GST, I had some spare left to get myself a static IP assigned, and man is it awesome.

Static IP Application procedure :
  1. Write an email/ contact customer care and ask for a static IP.
  2. They will ask you to make a one time payment of Rs. 2100 (GST included) online while you are on the call through mytachyon.in > My Account > Payment > Enter Amount 2100.
  3. Give your ONU MAC (NOT ROUTER MAC, even if ONU is in bridge mode)
  4. Sit back and relax !
  5. I was assigned static IP within 2 Hrs, and that too on a Saturday !! No technician visit, no haggling over the phone, nothing.
Static IP details :
  • Login Method : PPPoE ( YES, atleast for me, I have heard from my friends that they had to manually configure static IP, based on their router MAC. I wasn't even asked my router MAC)
  • Ports : ALL PORTS OPEN (80/443/5060/3389)
  • Speed : As per your subscribed base plan.
  • ONU is in bridge mode (by default).

I know Sikka is offering 50 Mbps UL for 399+GST, however, Sikka is not available everywhere, especially towards SGPGI and beyond. Also Sikka charges 4000 per annum for a static IP which is just bonkers. I have many friends who have a Sikka Connection (also CG-NAT), and the experience is okayish. You can opt for Sikka if you don't need a static IP. However, most of their complaints are handled next day.

TL;DR : Overall, I am very much satisfied with their service. The experience is much better than Airtel or Jio, albeit no free calling.

I am hosting the following noteworthy services at my home :
1. pfSense running OpenVPN server (remote connections to Prayagraj ping 40ms, Noida ping 48ms, Bhopal ping 38ms, Ghaziabad ping 46ms for CCTV monitoring)
2. ZeroTier network controller with ZTN-CUI web manager
3. Plex
4. Web Server
5. Home Assistant

Hi, I'm planning to get tachyon as my primary isp is the service still running this good ? thanks

Worst internet service in Lucknow. Speed is never as promised/ purchased.

Worst support. Customer care have no idea about anything.

Very frequent down and resolving issue usually takes 2–3 days.
you will be lucky is problem resolved same day.

Frequent fibre cut issue.