[Review]iBall Baton Wireless N Router (iB-W3GX150N)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ISP
BSNL EVDO
A post i've been wanting to make almost since two weeks,finally comes up here 🙂

Product-iBall Baton Wireless N Router (iB-W3GX150N)
Bought from-Snapdeal (price~2k,FK sells about 2.7K :/,official price 2.9k)

Been using Bsnl evdo since late december.
I've been hunting for a good wifi router that would work with both my modems (Prithvi UE100,unlocked MTS AC2766 which initally cracked n i later fixed using fevi qwick).
My main requirement was a router that could work with an extension cable since signals at my place are very much on the lower side and finding a sweet spot gets hard.
I read a lot of reviews about TP-Link routers from several sources including our own IBF on models like MR3020,MR3420.MR3220,
Most of which werent encouraging.
various issues I read about were:
1.Extension cable not working.(I've read this many times except from opinion of our senior member @mediafire who contradicted)
2.Firmware incompatibility in some cases.
3.poor signal range in MR3020.
4.Speed loss when compared to directly plugging in.
5.Heating of router,auto reconnect issues etc
6.Not working on unlocked MTS modem with bsnl evdo(though my seller guarenteed it would work)
and so on,

Finally,while browsing over the web I came across a blogger posting about bsnl evdo who recommended me to go for iball.
initially I wasnt moved considering the reputation of TP link to iBall .
later I took the risk and ordered it off snapdeal.
All the rant above was just to explain why and What.

Now about the product:
Arrived in about 3 days from delhi on a sunday morning.

What was in the box:

The DEvice itself
1*lan cable(Slightly short)
1*power adapter
1* cup like stand for router.(plastic)
user manual
setup CD

Inital set up was a breeze,took very little time.

Experience:
I've been running the router pretty much atleast 16-20 hours a day,Almost two weeks now.No issues so far.
Using only over wifi,no LAN.
3 Smartphones,1 laptop,1 Smart TV.
Doesnt get Overheated.
Works with Prithvi UE100 as well as my unlocked MTS.
auto reconnects itself most of the times.
sometimes it fails to connect,wherein i have to manually reboot the router from the router page via browser or unplug the usb cable and replug it.
WORKS WITH .5m CABLE ON PRITHVI UE 100 AND 1 METRE CABLE ON MTS AC2766.

Range is decent,not too good neither too bad.Maybe it could be better if there werent so many walls inbetween for me .
Covers my 2BHK 1200Sqft flat.

I notice Prithvi modem gets heavily heated within 30mins-1hr and also isnt much credible with respect to speed.
I've been using MTS all along and havnt had any issues whatsoever.

Speeds:As we all know,evdo speeds are never stable.
I get about 3-4 bars in BSNL connection manager and full bars in MTS dashboard.
I didnt notice any speed loss because of wifi,I get speeds between 1-2.9mbps.
usually it is between 1.4-2.5 occasionally it goes upto 3.
where at certain times of the day speeds are heavily fluctuating and below 1mbps (like 600-2000-600-1500-2400-800-500 etc).
However I wouldnt ask anything more for 50 bucks for 2 days true unlimited.
Usage can easily be 5Gb+per day. (my max since last week has been 17gb in a day).

Some Pictures :
Box

Setup

Speeds:

P.s. Upload speed is usually between .10-.30.
Any further queries would be answered.

congrats!

I do not have any idea. According to my guess bsnl's website is outdated.
According to the website all towers in and around Chennai have 2.4mbps support only. And as per their website nearest tower is about 2-3kms away. My street is just outside the diameter from that tower, ie outside the signal coverage circle.
As said earlier signal is 3 or 4 bars..speed is between 1.2-2 most of the times. Some occasions I get speeds as in the pics. The strange thing is I get lesser speed in my hall which had more windows and open space and lot of opening which is closer to the road, whereas I get good speed only in my study room.

Hello ,
I wold like to know how to configure my same i ball device with bsnl evdo.
Its not working properly.
No internet connection.
I have tried almost everything.
Please share the settings that you use.
I live in Rajasthan if it changes anything.
Without the router my evdo works totally fine.

Hi!

I have Prithvi UE100. I'm using windows 8 x64 laptop. Also I have recently got HAME R1 Wifi Router which works with my pritvhi modem.

Sometimes connection gets disconnected even before 1GB and mostly during high speed I guess. Speeds are around 500 kbps to 1mbps during day. At night it goes from 800 kbps to 2.4 mbps (fluctuating). Disconnection happens in both pc and hame router. It never connect automatically on hame r1 when disconnected. Need to restart router on reinsert the modem. On PC it connects automatically via dialer setting but sometimes errors follow "problem with modem or other connecting device". This is mostly solved with reinserting of modem or rarely even after removing the modem dialup connection still says connected and it is solved only after complete restart.

And yes prithvi gets way too hot even too hold when usage is much.

Furthermore at my office location where I used to get full tower before I got firmware of Prithvi upgraded. Because without upgrade it only used to connect in 1x. After upgrade I don't get tower in same place where I used to get full towers. On terrace it give me 2 bars. Is it due to upgrade or network issue?

My Q. is will getting ZTE AC2766 provide better speed and reliability of connection? Also is there any chance that I might full tower with ac2766 at office location?

Overall I'm satisfied with prithvi but are there any major benefits of investing on ac2766 and will it solve above issue of disconnection at high speed or randomly (not 1gb issue), better speed & tower range compared to prithvi?

thanks.

Tag:
@cmsivasubramanian

Last edited:
Hi!

My Q. is will getting ZTE AC2766 provide better speed and reliability of connection? Also is there any chance that I might full tower with ac2766 at office location?

Tag:
@cmsivasubramanian
I have both and for me prithvi is far far more stable. You have to buy the zte modem and test it yourself. One thing that i can guarantee is that the Zte modem doesn't heat up as much as prithvi does. Otherwise i get 50% better speed and signal strength on prithvi.

@sk I would suggest you to just give a hit on mts ac 2766.
A mere 1000 buck as a gamble.
Cause a lot matters,and speed does differ based on a lot of things.
Based on my experience (using the iball router) I never face any disconnection issues cause iball auto reconnects every time (usually I get a disconnection after 2gb on lappy).
And yeah ac2766 is way way more cooler,and signal reception on it is way better than prithvi,however speeds are usually more or less the same depending on luck.

HAME R1 is a portable router right? I had contacted them already by mail and told me their router wasn't good for regular daily use. N was a solution for portable mimimal use router.

And about your problem also high speed never is related to disconnection problems,as far as I know.
Must be due to excessive heating of prithvi modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.