Reservation - your take on it

agantuk

Bhatakti Aatma
ISP
N/A
Folks on TE would realise this is a duplicate thread of what I created over there, so apologies for the double post. This is for those who aren't there.---------------------------------------All the hullabaloo around the movie Aarakshan, and the way a few State govts have reacted to it, begs a question - Is reservation really controversial? Isn't it a way of life now? I therefore was curious if folks think reservation is good or bad. Have you ever been impacted? Please avoid targetting individuals or communities. Thanks

mhsabir

Xclusive
Staff member
ISP
Airtel & Hathway
Its a classic situation of a "glass - half full or half empty". Different viewpoints. Each have their pluses and minuses. My personal concern is that reservation though justifiable in some cases, is wrongly abused & that is a concern.

mhsabir

Xclusive
Staff member
ISP
Airtel & Hathway
Impacted - Yes & No. when I completed my +2 , a "rich" SC/ST fellow-mate got some 7-8% less and was able to do an engineering course, which I, being middle-class was not "eligible", but was interested at that time . Was not a major regret - was able to do it the Bsc/MCA route & get into the career of my choice

agantuk

Bhatakti Aatma
ISP
N/A
I got screwed for both RECs and IITs simultaneously. In both cases, my classmates with far worse ranks were able to comfortably get in by a show of their certificate - not merit, the caste one.

devx101

Senior
ISP
LL/cable/3G then bck to EDGE
unfortunately the quality of students coming from reservation is really bad or to be true pathetic. i have seen psu's coming to campuses just for one or two reserved posts, then also they ar nt able to fill those as the quality is so bad. And ocassionally who do get in are really up in shambles.this is my personal exp.

rockingtushar

Regular
ISP
Airtel
This is a disgrace to the nation. All castes should be de-recognized by the Government and all reservations of all sorts except maybe sports quota and handicap quota should be removed.

devx101

Senior
ISP
LL/cable/3G then bck to EDGE
This is a disgrace to the nation. All castes should be de-recognized by the Government and all reservations of all sorts except maybe sports quota and handicap quota should be removed.

that is unlikely to happen even till 2025. no party is showing any signs of a phase out plan, it is not even talked. the votebank associated are to large to leave.

we may allow fdi in retail, defence this that.. but a reservation phase out is an acchut topic.

MonsterBallsofDoom

Crotch Shot Expert
ISP
airtel
they should give reservation till class 10+2 , not after that(like 5% of total seats in a school although i don't know of many schools who have fixed total seats ) . whats the point of providing reservation for students with weak basic education ?

D

Deleted member 10390

I would say " Give Reservation ", but not to some filthy rich candidate who happened to born in a particular caste. Has India ran out of poor people ? There are real poor who studies with all heart. Give them a chance and not to the son of a father who has got a government job through reservation. Why a creamy layer limit. Why not set it as Rs. 50,000 annual income. Aren't they who really deserve those seats. I have seen people who didn't even care to apply just because they cannot afford. The rich among the dalits are reaping all benefits because they can afford tuition and entrance coaching. Why such a discrimination to the people of same caste ? If I am not wrong, creamy layer is now 2 lakhs, which means around 17,000 per month. Does someone whose father earns 17 K per month needs reservation ? Can't a government employee guide and support his son ? Does he need reservation ? Why not give it to those who really deserve it ? At least don't give it to the children of those who already got the benefit. There are many in this country who are backward, bring them up. Pay their fees, buy them books, pay for their accommodation from the tax I pay. I have no objection. But not for someone who earns 2 lakhs per annum because many in the so called higher class cannot even dream of it in present India.

rockingtushar

Regular
ISP
Airtel
Yeah. Going to college is not a right. You have to earn it.

----------

I would say " Give Reservation ", but not to some filthy rich candidate who happened to born in a particular caste. Has India ran out of poor people ? There are real poor who studies with all heart. Give them a chance and not to the son of a father who has got a government job through reservation. Why a creamy layer limit. Why not set it as Rs. 50,000 annual income. Aren't they who really deserve those seats. I have seen people who didn't even care to apply just because they cannot afford. The rich among the dalits are reaping all benefits because they can afford tuition and entrance coaching. Why such a discrimination to the people of same caste ? If I am not wrong, creamy layer is now 2 lakhs, which means around 17,000 per month. Does someone whose father earns 17 K per month needs reservation ? Can't a government employee guide and support his son ? Does he need reservation ? Why not give it to those who really deserve it ? At least don't give it to the children of those who already got the benefit. There are many in this country who are backward, bring them up. Pay their fees, buy them books, pay for their accommodation from the tax I pay. I have no objection. But not for someone who earns 2 lakhs per annum because many in the so called higher class cannot even dream of it in present India.

Nobody deserves reservation based on anything other than merit. The people who cant afford college deserve scholarship along with free books and not reservation.

D

Deleted member 10390

Have you ever wrote an exam ? When I used to give, I was too much worried for that 2 hours. The tension itself had a great effect on me. Imagine living like that for a whole life. That is what poor do. The mental trauma they go through cannot be described in words. They are being made fun of, they don't have an emergency lamp or at times not even electricity, no books, no good uniform etc. All these will create an inferiority complex in a person which is a very painful condition. They may be able to get fresh books, had to depend low quality education provided by government schools, no money for tuition, have a second hand instrument box, school bag etc. They cannot compete with the well to do students who enjoys all luxuries of life, go on vacation every summer, is angry because he didn't have the latest gaming console, mom restricts him to watch his favourite cartoon show etc. They are trained in the best schools by best teachers, good coaching, good study conditions, comforts like AC, tubelight, computer, internet, special coaching, additional books for reference, special tuition etc. There is nothing wrong if someone can help them, give them some weightage etc. Because they are more talented and committed towards studies as they do it even with all those adversities. Given the same conditions, they would have performed better. I am completely against reservation of any kind but based on economic conditions. But let us accept that caste based reservation is a fact in India and it is going to continue for another 100 years without any change. Then why not give it to the deserving candidates ? At least it will help create equality in society.

MonsterBallsofDoom

Crotch Shot Expert
ISP
airtel
Have you ever wrote an exam ? When I used to give, I was too much worried for that 2 hours. The tension itself had a great effect on me. Imagine living like that for a whole life. That is what poor do. The mental trauma they go through cannot be described in words. They are being made fun of, they don't have an emergency lamp or at times not even electricity, no books, no good uniform etc. All these will create an inferiority complex in a person which is a very painful condition. They may be able to get fresh books, had to depend low quality education provided by government schools, no money for tuition, have a second hand instrument box, school bag etc. They cannot compete with the well to do students who enjoys all luxuries of life, go on vacation every summer, is angry because he didn't have the latest gaming console, mom restricts him to watch his favourite cartoon show etc. They are trained in the best schools by best teachers, good coaching, good study conditions, comforts like AC, tubelight, computer, internet, special coaching, additional books for reference, special tuition etc. There is nothing wrong if someone can help them, give them some weightage etc. Because they are more talented and committed towards studies as they do it even with all those adversities. Given the same conditions, they would have performed better. I am completely against reservation of any kind but based on economic conditions. But let us accept that caste based reservation is a fact in India and it is going to continue for another 100 years without any change. Then why not give it to the deserving candidates ? At least it will help create equality in society.

did you have english as a subject ?