Request to @airtel_presence to provide an option to disable SmartBytes redirections

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 13,215
Hmm...would it be possible to write a small widget,like ad block, that remembers the address of page your supposed to go to and if a redirect occurs to the smartbyte page, insert the address again and go to where you were supposed to be going. Should be just a bit of javascript.
But of course, if thy are going to redirect you infinitely then you going to be looking at redirect after redirect. But just a thought...

And what about your downloads that gets stopped due to smartbyte shit

This is getting to be super annoying...i have been redirected 3 times in the last 10 hours...stop with it airtel..if i want more usage, I'll login to my account and purchase it!!!

I think you can use a 3rd party DNS provider to get rid of the redirection. Airtel DNS is pretty bad anyways, goes down a lot of times. I am using OpenDNS for about 1 years, haven't seen a redirect for a long time. The DNS ips are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Try using them in the host or router. Leave the modem as it is.

jc36 said:
I think you can use a 3rd party DNS provider to get rid of the redirection. Airtel DNS is pretty bad anyways, goes down a lot of times. I am using OpenDNS for about 1 years, haven't seen a redirect for a long time. The DNS ips are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Try using them in the host or router. Leave the modem as it is.
The redirects occur irrespective of whatever DNS you use.
Besides, changing your DNS to 3rd party servers and thinking its better than your ISP's is only placebo. The best DNS is the one that has the lowest ping from your PC, and that would obviously be the ISP DNS in most cases. Also, content sites like Akamai look at your DNS to decide which location you are in, simply put, you are going to get crappy download speeds if you use 3rd party DNS servers as you will be downloading from USA instead of India/Singapore.
The DNS thing is a myth, don't fall for it.
http://lifehacker.com/5788230/why-you-might-want-to-stick-with-your-isps-dns-server-after-all

The best DNS is the one that stays up consistently, and the default Airtel DNS does not, at least not in my case. I have had plenty of instances where the line would be active but I couldn't open any websites because I couldn't reach the DNS servers. Applications connected to the internet like Steam would work fine in the meantime. That's the reason I looked up a third party DNS providers.

In the end, it's whatever works for you. You are happy with Airtel DNS, good for you. Open DNS works better for me. I seldom use http downloads so I cannot comment if my DNS has any effect on the download speeds.