Remotely accessing an HDD connected to the router through FTP without a Static IP

• Thread starter Thread starter mrweirdgupta
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 3,616
Ah, just checked them out @a.c @HC1337, a quick glance tells me they are too complex for my understanding and an over kill for my requirement - a remote media server for Kodi.

Thanks anyway! Really appreciate it! 🙂

That is not really overkill, but there are ways to fulfil your requirements, just need a bit more tinkering than usual.

That is not really overkill, but there are ways to fulfil your requirements, just need a bit more tinkering than usual.
Oh. I am open to putting the extra effort as long as it does not involve a huge cost outlay. If it's not asking too much, could you please tell me what are the other ways to go about it? Even a short nudge in the right direction works, I will do the rest of the research

I don't think tailscale is overboard. You just install it, signing with Google and that's it every device it's installed on can access every other device it's installed on
Can't be simpler than this

Ah, yes. My bad, I did not go through their website properly. So this solution should work with an Rpi4, and not in the current state of things. Right?

Okay, I am really sorry for this, but I am a complete newbie. So I am reading up a little and I have a few questions. Say I install Tailscale on the Rpi. Now if I want to use it as a NAS and have my Kodi point at it as the source, will the Tailscale thing work to allow me to remotely point Kodi at the NAS?

So if everything is connected to same router you don't need to do anything as they can already access each other.
From outside your network if you need to access anything inside your network then you need tailscale on the external device as well as internal device.

Last edited:
My HDD does not show on the Airtel router. I only want to access the HDD locally via SMB if possible, or else via FTP. Please help !!

P.S. - I have the same airtel router Nokia G-2425G-A