Remotely accessing an HDD connected to the router through FTP without a Static IP

• Thread starter Thread starter mrweirdgupta
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 3,602
ISP
Airtel
Hi guys

I am a non-tech person and very new to the forum. I am trying something new and need the help of the experts here. I am a total noob, so kindly bear with me. I have attached the links to various references that I used while creating my set up, in case if that is of any help.

I have an Airtel XStream Fiber Connection. The modem/router that I have is the Nokia G-2425G-A

Inspired by the setups of some people with Airtel connections on YouTube, I tried connecting a USB Hard Disk to my router. I used the USB functionality and successfully enabled the FTP server. Image Link

Now, while I have been able to do this locally, I was hoping to access this HDD remotely too.

From what I have discovered using videos on YouTube (and a little reading and minimal understanding thereof from the IBF), I discovered that I need a static IP for that. I am a student, and a ₹200 additional expenditure for me is not feasible. Further reading told me that I can divert the requirement for a static IP using a DDNS service like No-IP.

I created a No-IP account too and enabled the DDNS application too. I entered the correct info into the router gateway after 2-3 rounds of verification, to the best of my knowledge. Image Link

After this I enabled the Port Forwarding application. Image Link

As far as I understand, I have done each and every step correctly, yet when I try to check the ports online, it shows that the port (21) is closed.

I don't know if this is how it works, but I tried the ping command on CMD - ping <<my WAN IPv4 address of the form 100.xx.xxx.206>> and it showed request timed out. Same with my Public IP too (the one that I can Google)

Based on my minimal understanding of things so far, I think I am going wrong somewhere with the DDNS thing.

Hence, I have a few questions if you guys could help me with this -
Q1. In all the steps that I took so far, have I done anything wrong?
Q2. Is there any other step that needs to be done?
Q3. Is this setup not possible?
Q4. Say remotely accessing a HDD attached to a router is not possible. If in the future I purchase an RPi4 and try accessing it remotely, what do I need to change in my DDNS settings/Port Forwarding settings to make sure I am not faced with the same issues

P. S. - I am attaching the Firewall Settings, Access Control settings, and the DMZ and ALG settings. I did not alter these. Kindly let me know if any of these need to be changed. Also, if any of these images are a security risk/leak personal data, let me know, I will remove them.

Edit - Changed a broken Imgur link

Thanks in advance!

IP starting from 100.xxx.xxx.xxx is behind NAT, basically you are behind CG-NAT and won't be able to access your home network directly from the internet.

Any way to access any Storage media like USB drive or HDD etc remotely. Even from Mobile data. Without dealing with anything like Static IP, being under CG NAT, port forwarding etc...

IPv6 would be the only answer in this AFAIK, as every mobile provider has IPv6 enabled on their wireless clients, enabling all possibilities of accessing the home network from anywhere in the world.

IPv6 would be the only answer in this AFAIK, as every mobile provider has IPv6 enabled on their wireless clients, enabling all possibilities of accessing the home network from anywhere in the world.
Could you elaborate this method a little in easy to understand language, or perhaps share some guide?

Yes, DDNS is like having a domain bind to your changing Public IP (which should be public IP not behind CGNAT), it eliminates the necessity to enter your different public IP everytime you would like to access your storage, instead just using a domain.

As for IPv6 hosting, I'm still really new to this, I can't really help you in that field but I will try to search some guides and link them here.

Yes, DDNS is like having a domain bind to your changing Public IP (which should be public IP not behind CGNAT), it eliminates the necessity to enter your different public IP everytime you would like to access your storage, instead just using a domain.
Okay, thank you for the information. 🙂

As for IPv6 hosting, I'm still really new to this, I can't really help you in that field but I will try to search some guides and link them here.
Oh, okay. Sure, thank you so much!