Remotely Access Mp3 Collection

• Thread starter Thread starter daiondoroga
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 3,879

daiondoroga

I have a very nice mp3 collection at home, and am trying to figure out a good way to be able to access it remotely (i.e. at work). I could, of course, burn a DVD full at a time and copy them onto my work computer, but of course that's impractical and I really shouldn't have that kind of data on this machine.Google told me about MusicAnywhere, which I have installed the demo version and like it so far--except that the demo version is limited to just a few songs. To buy the full version is $49.I just graduated from college, and am about as broke as I've ever been. So if anybody knows of a FREE product like this, or that can achieve the same thing - please let me know!Thanks!!!

^ sorry , I am not responding to your Query .
I need little info regarding this musicanywhere .

To use this do we have to keep our home pc always
on and connected to internet ? can it be safe ?
And isnt it expensive ? ...

cant you use a mp3 player ( like ipod ) ...

What is your upload speed at home ?If you plan to stream from home this will be a crucial factor. If the encoding rate of your mp3s exceeds this upload rate there will be lots of buffering an interrupted play.

why is a DVD impractical...just play it from the DVD with WMP...without copying it...duh!!

U could always stream ur collection through Jetcast (included with jetAudio).

I don't mean to steal your thread, but I have an interesting offshoot of this question that I was wondering about.... I have recently got a wireless connection and was wondering if I could "stream" my music in a way that I can control which track to play, volume etc. from my laptop, but the audio comes out speakers connected to a desktop (or maybe a standalone device?)..... It doesn't matter whether it is actually the laptop or the desktop that is playing the music, just that it can be controlled from the laptop.Has anyone ever heard of any software/hardware that can accomplish this?

^ @vebmetal , you can use a remote control for pc .if interested search the net or contact thru pm ...

QUOTE(vebmetal @ Aug 19 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]59058[/snapback]
I don't mean to steal your thread, but I have an interesting offshoot of this question that I was wondering about.... I have recently got a wireless connection and was wondering if I could "stream" my music in a way that I can control which track to play, volume etc. from my laptop, but the audio comes out speakers connected to a desktop (or maybe a standalone device?)..... It doesn't matter whether it is actually the laptop or the desktop that is playing the music, just that it can be controlled from the laptop.

Has anyone ever heard of any software/hardware that can accomplish this?
[/b]
It's called Remote Desktop in XP.

Needs XP - Pro or above on both machines, XP home then you will have to use UltraVNC.

Start music on the desktop and control via laptop using remote desktop or vnc.

Unless i misunderstood your quesiton...

ahhh yes, remote desktop would be a solution, but wouldn't it be a little 'clunky' to use if I want to change songs etc. every two minutes or so? (I've never actually used it, so I imagine it's a lot like gotomypc)... I suppose a remote control would do the trick exactly, but it's an expense that would just remind me of how lazy I can be each time I looked at it! 😀

I've used it over dial-up and its the best. But you need XP Pro on the server end.I use win2k on a laptop to control my player on the desktop. I don't use the monitor at all, to save on current. And my player is waay more complex than winamp.

I would reccomend you set up a VPN through Hamachi on both systems, and then use iTunes on both ends to share libraries. Use logmein or vnc or something to access the target system if you need to change settings. Hamachi is good for all sorts of things like this.

QUOTE(vebmetal @ Aug 19 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]59058[/snapback]
I don't mean to steal your thread, but I have an interesting offshoot of this question that I was wondering about.... I have recently got a wireless connection and was wondering if I could "stream" my music in a way that I can control which track to play, volume etc. from my laptop, but the audio comes out speakers connected to a desktop (or maybe a standalone device?)..... It doesn't matter whether it is actually the laptop or the desktop that is playing the music, just that it can be controlled from the laptop.

Has anyone ever heard of any software/hardware that can accomplish this?
[/b]

A solution could be to:

1. Share MP3 in a folder so that Laptop can access thsese (or copy them to laptop if you have enough space)
2. Create a playlist on laptop from this shared folder
3. Stream this playlist from laptop
4. Run Media player on desktop and open this stream

Windows media encoder is a free download and can stream MP3s. And it wroks very well with Windows Media player.

There can be other/better software for streaming as well.