• Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 13,043
Status
Not open for further replies.

linpagla

ISP
Reliance Broadnet
Hi Friends,
I connect to my Wimax connection from both Windows XP and Linux.
Overall, the connection status is not very satisfactory. Most of the time, the issue is with finding the proper IP 124.125..... to be connected. whenever it manages to find this IP, I get a pretty good connection.
But since last 1-2 days, I'm facing a strange problem. I tried so many times, but I'm not able to get the IP in Windows. Even if it does get rarely, it loses the IP automatically after a few minutes.
But in Linux, I can get the IP immediately and it stays fine too.
I've launched a complain with the CC as well, but I don't trust their expertise anyway.:wall:
Within windows, I tried all possible ways like ipconfig /release and /renew; disabling & enabling the network interface; switching off & on the POE unit and restarting the system many times. But to no avail. All I get is "Limited or No connectivity" with an IP such as 169.254.... (Dunno where it comes from)
Its evident that there is something wrong with windows, as the connection is perfectly fine with Linux.😕

Can someone please help me locate and solve the real problem in windows?

Btw, I've also tried this trick: https://broadband.forum/reliance-broadband/14965-reliance-wimax-broadband-connection-tricks/
and I get an uplink of around 24.5 and range of around -50 to -51. I believe these are pretty good values.

yes ur getting good signal.,i m also having same signal @ pune...try this........never swith off the power to the wimax antenna...elsego to this note the ip when u get 1 from wimax dhcp....note dowb all the dns servers...then go and configure ur ip manually. in tcp/ip of ur lan card conf.....the same ip which u get most of the time.,., then check the if u r online or not......if u gettiong the reliance page then u r online....---------------------------------------------------------------------btw what plan u using ???.i m on 150 unlimted.....-------------------------------------------------------------------

yes ur getting good signal.,

i m also having same signal @ pune...

try this........

never swith off the power to the wimax antenna...

else
go to this

note the ip when u get 1 from wimax dhcp....
note dowb all the dns servers...

then go and configure ur ip manually. in tcp/ip of ur lan card conf.....the same ip which u get most of the time.,.,

then check the if u r online or not......

if u getting the reliance page then u r online....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

btw what plan u using ???.
i m on 150 unlimted.....
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, kadam!
Well, not switching off the POE is not an option... 'cause its India after all so chance of getting 24hrs power supply...

But the second option sounds good... I'll surely give it a try, though logically it doesn't seem possible, 'cause Reliance assigns a different IP every 24hrs or so to an individual... So its possible that the IP given to me today may be assigned to another one tomorrow, thus if I try to access via the same IP tomorrow by manually configuration, I might get an IP conflict...:wall:

But I'd anyway give it a try the next time I face the IP outage issue, which I'm sure should be very soon😛!

And my plan, as evident from my signature, is 2Mbps/4GB.

I tried this... assigning the IP manually...It actually worked great for a few days continuously, but since last couple of days it has stopped working...:wall:Once again I'm on the mercy of the dynamic IP; Sometimes I get it sometimes not.... These ppl are pathetic...

Hi friends,
I tried this out and it worked most of the times, though not always!
[*]This is to be used when you do not get an IP and get the message as "Limited or no connection"...
[*]Open your network properties, and manually enter the IP as 192.168.1.17 (Specific to Bangalore, may be different in other places), keep the Subnet mask as default.
[*]Close the properties dialogs. You'll see that the network status shows as connected.
[*]Now Switch Off the power of the POE (The box which is connected to the wimax antenna) for about 4-5 seconds, then switch it on again; wait for a few more seconds, till it stabilizes.
[*]Now open command window (CMD in run dialog) and type:
[/list]
Code:
telnet 192.168.1.1

[*]in the telnet prompt give the user name and password as:
[/list]
Code:
supportsupport

[*]Now in the telnet console enter these commands in sequence:
[/list]
Code:
shsh bs

[*]You'd see a tabular output with about 4 rows. The first column shows the base station, then some columns with some info not reqd for us. Then one status column shows either 'OPER' or N/A. If all the rows show N/A, then enter the command:
Code:
sh bs
a few more times. (You can just just press the up arrow and press enter)
[*]If after repeated tries also you see that no base station gets the status as 'OPER', then type this command:
[/list]
Code:
sh ip wimax

[*]You might not see any IPs coming up, but still try executing this command a few times repeatedly...
[*]Now again give the old command
Code:
sh bs
a few times.
[*]Now most probably you can see one of the base station with status as 'OPER'... Still execute this command a few times... You'll see the uplink speed changing like sometimes 24, or 23, 22, or something like this...
[*]Now again execute the command
Code:
sh ip wimax
a few times repeatedly... You should now be able to see some IPs getting displayed...
[*]In the output of this command, the second last line should be the default gateway IP. Lets call it for out purpose...
[*]Now enter this command:
[/list]
Code:
ping  64 2 10
Replace with your gateway IP that you see, e.g.
Code:
ping 172.167.16.17 64 2 10

[*]Do you see some pinging results coming up like:
Code:
64 bits ... blah blah.... 30ms[OK]
repeated 10 times?
[*]If you see all the 10 pings going on fine without any 'Timeout Errors', then you're done.:thumbsup:
[*]In case you still get 'Timeout Errors' then try the above commands repeatedly a few more times. If you still don't get any ping transfer happening or don't even get an IP, then its certainly time to blast the CC, but make sure you don't mention these things to them... Just say you don't get an IP for your connection 😛
[*]Type
Code:
Exit
to come out of the telnet console. Exit the cmd window as well.
[*]Now open the properties for the network and change the TCP/IP settings to dynamic IP and DNS again, and close it... You should get an IP now... :yahoo:
[*]This method doesn't work every time, but last few days it worked for me most of the times.
[/list]Strangely enough, repeated execution of the telnet commands make the servers respond somehow... Lagta hai laaton ke bhoot baton se nahin mante...:rofl:

Some more tips (not solution)
Use the following commands to switch static / dhcp mode and simplify your life!!!

To assign static IP manually:
netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.1.21 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 1

To enable DHCP:
netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" dhcp

I also found that you need not use telnet to check signal level or connectivity. Simply enter http://192.168.1.1 in your IE and use the same user name and paasword as mentioned above instead of telnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.