• Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 3,464
Status
Not open for further replies.

rodeoz

Mirror Cracking Material
ISP
Airtel
Today, at around 12 in the afternoon I went to the Kamla Nagar (Delhi) showroom (I think they call it a Web World) of Reliance.

I wanted to purchase a Netconnect BB+ and asked for a demo. The salesperson connected the demo device to a laptop and asked me to perform a speed test. I got speeds of >1Mbps. The salesperson assured me that on an average I should expect speeds ranging from 500-600 kbps.Reliance's website mentioned that the minimum guaranteed speed is 256kbps.

I came home and activated my datacard at around 2pm. Speedtest showed a meagre 75kbps speed. I waited and waited in the hope that speeds will improve. By 8pm I had conducted multiple speed tests and the speed varied from 50kbps to 200kbps with occasional higher bursts. This was less than the minimum guaranteed speed.

So I called up the customer care number and enquired about the problem. They told me that I was getting my datacard signals from towers located a good 10kms away from my house! When I asked them why I was not getting signals from nearby towers they replied that that was due to network congestion in my area and that their engineers are working on it and it will be resolved by 31st August!

Now 31st August is a good 1 and a half month away! Why should I pay 750Rs for speeds less than 200kbps? I asked them if a refund was possible since their sales representative misguided me at the time of buying the datacard by not revealing that network congestion was an issue! They replied back with a "NO"!

So it looks like I am stuck with a datacard that offers 50-200kbps speeds at Rs 750/month till August 31st! I have to pay full amount despiteReliance hiding the true status of their network from me (at the time of purchase) and despite not even providing the minimum guaranteed 256kbps speed!

They are surely taking consumers for a ride!

I am tempted to just get my connection disconnected. Forget the 1600 Rs I paid and switch to another company. But before I do that I thought it was important to bring this to the notice of all prospective buyers.

ALWAYS ask for a demo at your home or at the place where you are most likely to use the internet. Don't trust the speeds shown at Relianceshowrooms.

Nanak dukhiya sab sansaar........Here I was believing that only AIRTEL "OOPBHOKTA" have a bad karma .....On a serious note ,You definitely can disconnect ,but before that Do file a case of malpractice and misrepresentation,In CONSUMER COURT ITSELF..& that too ONLINE.Do send an email and a nd hard copy complaint to RELIANCE .Have you recorded the answer given by the Reliance CC ?that's why it is better to put records in emails ,backed up by hard copies,so as to show it in consumer court.....Mean while keep on raising stink in the forums like these so that people don't fall for this kind of chicanery and keep on complaining via emails and keep records ..You never know ,when these may prove handy.....SOMEDAY SOME TELE ANNA HAZARE MAY FILE A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST THESE THUGS AND AT THAT TIME THESE COMLAINTS LODGED WILL PROVE TO BE VALUABLE EVIDENCE.THIS IS FOR ATTENTION OF ALL THE MEMBERS WHOSOEVER FREQUENTS THESE FORUMS

Thanks mate!I doubt if I ll have the time to chase the case in court but I thought the least I could do is make people aware of the discrepancy in speed at Reliance showrooms and your own home!I hope it helps someone!

My brother too faced the same kind of issue, He bought the Reliance data card and getting speed of somewhere between 40-60kbps. Now when he called the CC, they said the network in my area is congested and it will be rectified by 30th April. Now is already mid July but nothing has been done.

Since they have given you date of 31 Aug, rest be assured that nothing is going to happen by then. As qrius mentioned, file an official complaint against Reliance in consumer court.

Yesterday, Internet Speeds were slow due to heavy data traffic flow because of Mumbai Blast. So have speed test today again and if it shows the same speed, give it back to Reliance Guys and lodge a complaint.

I called up Reliance's Customer Care and insisted on a disconnection. They offered me a retention plan where I have to pay less. The thing is that if you are located in a network congestion area you can avail these plans. I have now shifted to a 500Rs/month plan where I get 5GB data usage during day and 5GB during night.Since I have already invested money in buying the modem (Rs 1600) I will wait till August 31 to see if anything happens i.e. increase in speed. If nothing happens by then, I will move to Tata Photon +. My friend has a Photon and in my place it gives constant speeds ranging from 400kbps to 1 Mbps.Whatever happens, I will definitely inform you guys if the network congestion issue gets sorted out. Till then I think I will continue with their retention plan.

I understand your reluctance to file case in courts....BUT IAM SUGGESTING FILING IT A LOCAL CONSUMER COURT THAT CAN BE DONE ONLINE
.NO YOU DON'T NEED A LIER(I MEAN LAWYER) AND IT CAN BE DONE SIMPLY BY REPRESENTING THE CASE AS IT HAPPENED.JUST TRY IT ONCE
There is no filing fee I guess.fore more info,just google consumer court.Or contact any consumer activist organization

one such is Welcome to Consumer Rights Education and Awareness Trust
I have just posted a link for an interesting article at Business Line : Today's Paper / BRANDLINE : A leg up for consumer activism

Here is another organization you can contact Consumer Voice,Consumer Rights,Online Magazine,Comparative Product Testing, Legal Complaints

SO JAGO BHARAT JAGO......

AS THE FAMOUS BOB MARLEY SONG GOES ....STAND UP STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS,STAND UP STAND UP DON'T GIVE THE FIGHT

Cheers

----------

as they say BHAGTE CHOR KI LANGOTI HI SAHI.......( hope you understand colloquical hindi ,otherwise ask some local to translate it for you)

This is a clear case of WILFUL MISREPESENTATION & CONCEALING FACTS TO ENTICE YOU FOR SUBSCRIPTION.......the fact is their CC was fully aware of the TRAFFIC CONGESTION,even then sold you the plan.......which is so easy to prove in consumer court and to get full refund plus damages....So if you want to give it a try till 31st AUG,that's fine too BUT AS FAR AS THIS LOUSY TRIBE OF ISPs are well known for,HAVE YOU ENSURED THAT CC GUY MEANT 31st AUGUST 2011 AND NOT 31st AUGUST 2012

Thanks for the information mate! The CC did mention 31st August 2011 and have finally waived off any rental from my side for three months! So I pay nothing for the next three months and I hope things improve soon!

The customer service is also the worst. I have asked them to terminate the service by 10th of august 2011. But they terminated it by 23rd July itself. They say i have to go to Web world which is 10 kms away to enable it til aug 10. Now I don't know whether I'll be charged prorata basis or not. The customer care is so hopeless.

UPDATE: The deadline of 31st August is over but I am still getting pathetic speeds ranging from 30kbps to 200kbps.Have asked for a disconnection.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.