Reliance JioFiber: Port Forwarding NOT SUPPORTED

• Thread starter Thread starter spacer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 188
  • Views Views 110,813
The JioFiber router web interface presents option for port forwarding however it does not work in practice.
The page accepts and saves all the configuration changes you do. Yet you won't be able to connect to the port from outside.

The router also has a DMZ and UPnP options and those do not work either.
Customer care is unable to help ("We have no information about this at the moment")

The IP address as seen from outside is different than what the router shows as its WAN IP. So the router is not directly exposed to the internet. It is behind a NAT/Firewall.

The IP the router sees is 100.XX.XX.XX
IP as seen by sites like whatismyip.com is 49.XX.XX.XX

As far as I know 100.XX.XX.XX is a public IP but trying to access that IP from outside does not work either. So the router is sitting behind a firewall.

This is a major limitation if you want to run any kind of server. So developers and gamers beware.
If you want to make your DVR internet accessible, you can't.

With JioFi (dongle) you could use internet accessible IPv6 address to eliminate need of port forwarding but the Jio Fiber router only allocates local IPv6 addresses. Even if IPv6 worked like JioFi, it would not solve problem for IPv4 connections. So there is no alternative at the moment. You can use a VPN, but it slows you down and has other limitations.

I was planning to discontinue my old ISP but due to this limitation, I might have to discontinue JioFiber instead.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am noob in all this technicalities used here but I am thinking of getting JIOFiber. I have HikVision DVR in my house, I usually access my cameras remotely through app in playstore or Windows hikvision app. In current setup, I connected my dvr to my router lan via ethernet for internet access and everything works like a charm. Will the same setup work with JIOFIBER as well? I am confused as many peer here are facing problems to access their cameras.
Also i use wifi repeater to increase my wifi coverage area. Will that work with JIOFIBER?

When you access via the hikvision app, it is making use of its proxy servers which does not require port forwarding. This exact setup will work perfectly fine with no required changes on your JioFiber, just ensure that UPNP is enabled under router settings to ensure smoother playback.

@Lolita_Magnum If we were to spam jiofibercare@jio.com and ask them politely to start rolling out Public STATIC IPs on demand for extra charges? Like type really long shit explaining why one would need it and such? Say we get like a 100 people to mail them about this?

You are asking the wrong person.
Regardless, the email address mentioned above is maintained by low-level Jio staff. So, spamming is not gonna do anything except increase an unnecessary workload for them.

Regardless, the email address mentioned above is maintained by low-level Jio staff. So, spamming is not gonna do anything except increase an unnecessary workload for them.
Any ideas whom to mail then? I know only jiofibercare mail and the apellate authority one.

@Halter @HappyPerson
You have 2 options.

1. If your Hikvision camera supports IPv6, then add that IPv6 to Jio Gateway's IPV6 Firewall exclusions list. Then you can use that same IP in your Hikvision app to view remotely. You need to have a working IPv6. Good news is All 3 major Telecom operators Jio, Airtel and Vi have implemented IPv6. Even most ISPs except some backward thinking like Excitel, Joister have implemented it.

2. Call up Jio Fiber helpline and tell them you want to do NVR setup. They will ask camera model, make, local IPv4 address, it's port, MAC address and some random unrequired things. Give it to them. Make sure your device has been assigned a static IPv4 address and you share correct IPv4 address and Port number. These are the only 2 things which you cannot make error while giving out. Then they will send an engineer to your place and he will call up NOC to do the port forwarding remotely. He will hand over a server IP address and a port which you enter in your Hikvision app to access CCTV over IPv4.

I have enabled access via both ways but I prefer IPv6 because all 16 cameras open instantly over it and IPv4 access is a bit laggy.
PS: My IPV6 has been static and hasn't changed in over 1 year.

@tatyasky I'm not Interested in opening only 5 ports lol. I also use IPv6 it's more than enough for my needs to access my home Jellyfin Server. I think we can even use Zerotier. But what I want is an actual public Static IPv4 since most games don't support IPv6 and I can't ask everyone to install Zerotier on their systems.

Engineers visited my place for DVR setup ( in reality, I do not have any DVR) after I raised a ticket through email support. They do not have any contacts in the NOC. Escalated the issue to the appellate authority on their suggestion. Let's see what happens.

Finally, Jio got this issue resolved. I dropped an email to prioritycare@jio.com. The local Jio guys gave me a visit the next day. They called the 'TSD' team, who transferred the call to a network support team guy. He seemed to be the only manageable guy in this entire process. He forwarded three ports to my device. However, their software has an issue wherein they cannot forward UDP ports.