Reliance JioFiber: Port Forwarding NOT SUPPORTED

• Thread starter Thread starter spacer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 188
  • Views Views 110,727
The JioFiber router web interface presents option for port forwarding however it does not work in practice.
The page accepts and saves all the configuration changes you do. Yet you won't be able to connect to the port from outside.

The router also has a DMZ and UPnP options and those do not work either.
Customer care is unable to help ("We have no information about this at the moment")

The IP address as seen from outside is different than what the router shows as its WAN IP. So the router is not directly exposed to the internet. It is behind a NAT/Firewall.

The IP the router sees is 100.XX.XX.XX
IP as seen by sites like whatismyip.com is 49.XX.XX.XX

As far as I know 100.XX.XX.XX is a public IP but trying to access that IP from outside does not work either. So the router is sitting behind a firewall.

This is a major limitation if you want to run any kind of server. So developers and gamers beware.
If you want to make your DVR internet accessible, you can't.

With JioFi (dongle) you could use internet accessible IPv6 address to eliminate need of port forwarding but the Jio Fiber router only allocates local IPv6 addresses. Even if IPv6 worked like JioFi, it would not solve problem for IPv4 connections. So there is no alternative at the moment. You can use a VPN, but it slows you down and has other limitations.

I was planning to discontinue my old ISP but due to this limitation, I might have to discontinue JioFiber instead.

Last edited:
From your internal lan either via your phone or other pc is the ipv6 address pingable?
Share a screen shot of lan ipv6 config on the jiorouter. What is the prefix /64 ?

From your internal lan either via your phone or other pc is the ipv6 address pingable?
Share a screen shot of lan ipv6 config on the jiorouter. What is the prefix /64 ?
It is pingable from another PC and mobile connected via the same network.

ipv6.webp

So if you switch to another network like airtel which is ipv6 enabled you are not able to?
I was stuck on this sometime ago. I had to do a factory reset of the jio router post which it worked from outside the jio network and adding the inbound ipv6 firewall rule.
You can try and see if that helps.
Note :you will need to re configure the jio Wi-Fi and any other user settings done.
If still it does not work then it’s most likely at jios end and you may need to get in touch with them.
In my case and Ankush ipv6 works now

Ok now that we have a public IPv6, how to host a webserver/plex server in it as it is not static IPv6?

Hi All ,

I have recently taken JioFibre around 2 weeks ago.

I thought I would share some insights on the following as there are a lot of misconceptions / not enough information which has led to a lot of assumptions with regards to JioFibre

Especially on public static IPs , port forwarding. I have explored this Jio fibre router in depth and here are my findings along with solutions to the main issue of not being able to access your devices from outside.

Note : This is quite a lengthy review.
  1. JioFibre does give you a valid static routable public IP in the 49.44.xxx.xxx range only when you ask them for it.
  2. Only 3 external ports are mapped to 3 internal ports (they will not map more than 3 ports)
  3. You can choose any 3 internal ports in the range from 80-8000 to be mapped. Eg the external public ports can be 16601, 16602 , 16603 and internal ports can be 80 , 3389 ,443
  4. It will look like this http://49.44.61.xxx:16601
  5. The above port 16601 is mapped by them in their backend to your internal port say 80. If you have a webserver listening on an internal IP address like 192.168.29.5 on port 80 , all you need to do is type the url mentioned in point 4.
  6. The final mapping of the ports from external to internal takes place on the jio fibre router in the security menu – Custom services – ports defined there should be the external ports. Then in the next tab on port forwarding select the new customservice from the dropdown and add the internal IP say 192.168.29.5 and port 80. Add on similar grounds the 2 remaining ports that have been mapped.
Now the most important part is how do you connect with them and ask them to give you a routable static IP and do the mappings.
  1. Write a mail to customer care jiofibercare@jio.com
  2. State your requirement of a public Static IP which is routable – Mention you need this for IPCameras / NVR and you need to connect to your cameras from outside
  3. Do not mention you want to host a webserver etc as then they may not accept the request.
  4. They will respond back in a day or two on details of your camera , internal IP address and Mac address and availability of the IT person. In my case I told them I am the IT guy and have the knowledge and details of the camera and the ports that are used by it.
  5. They will then send a guy to your home. This person is non-technical who only knows how to connect cables. He will call up his Network team in JIO. I told him I would like to speak with them and explain my situation.
  6. I did a lot of probing on the technical details of what they will need to do and hence understood the entire flow from them.
  7. I had my IPcam connected via wifi and gave them the IP address and Mac address along with the ports that I had configured on it. Remember only 3 ports are allowed to be mapped.
  8. You can have you PC mac address show up in the router interface and tell them that on this IP address, mac address and port the port forwarding rules are to be made
  9. They will then give you a valid routable public IP address and 3 external ports and ask you to choose any 3 internal ports in the range 80-8000
  10. The Existing WAN IP on the router which is a CG Nat remains the same, just another static IP is told verbally to you. This static IP Is not configured on the jio router. Its just mapped to your external WAN IP address seen by other websites and mapping of 3 external ports to 3 internal ports.
  1. Once done you can then connect as an example on http://49.44.61.xxx:16601 . ping and telnet on this IP and port also work and so does my camera , my webserver , my plex server.

Just a note on the Jio router.

1. Its extremely restricted . Speaking to them I understood that bridge mode will never work as once you do it , Jio will loose the ability to control things.
  2. IPV6 is restricted as of now and is NATTED , so its no use as of now. They are working on this so that every individual device will get a routable IPV6 but they really don’t know when this will get active.
  3. The range of the JIOwifi router is not that great , so I use my own router – Edgerouter X and 2 AP’s (Apple Airport Extreme and Ubiquiti AC Lite. Even though iam now double NATTED , I have port forwarded their internal ports to my router and even if Iam on a different subnet I can still connect from outside. I have switched of the wireless on the Jio fibre router and all they see now are just 2 devices – My edgerouterX and my Xbox one X which is wired directly to the Jiorouter as this works perfect for multiplayer gaming as its open NAT connected in this manner.

In my search to find another solution in case jio would not give me a valid static IP , I came across this ZeroTier – Global Area Networking

1. Its an excellent solution and so easy to implement and is end to end encrypted.
  2. Its totally free upto 100 devices.
  3. All that is needed is their client to be installed either on the device you want to connect to like a windowsPC / Macs , routers (DDRT or ability to install Debian packages like the EdgeRouter X)
  4. It will then create its own virtual private Ethernet and you can install its client on your iPhone / android phone etc and connect to your home machines from outside like a VPN tunnel at full speeds (not relayed)
  5. I had this setup on my EdgerouterX and created routes to connect to my own subnet from zerotier so that I don’t have to install the Zerotier client on every device.
  6. All that needs to be done is on my iphone / ipad switch on the zerotier client (VPN) and I have full access to my entire home network at full speeds and no port forwarding needed at all.

In fact Iam using this method the most even though I now have a static IP from JIO but that entire traffic is not encrypted plus have limited access to only 3 services (3 port restriction)

I would suggest to first try Zerotier as its free for 100 devices and can be installed on a router directly like the EdgerouterX which can be purchased from Amazon or use a raspberry pie. But for a simple test to see if this works install the zerotier client on your PC or mac and have either a webserver running or plex and from your iphone / android phone download the ZeroTier client and start it and check via 4g if your able to connect to your PC /Mac

There are also other services like Portmap.io - free port forwarding solution which is free as well for only one mapping and while it requires only one openvpn client to be installed on one end , its traffic is relayed from their servers . Most alternatives work on this approach by relaying traffic and they start charging for more mappings. If all you do is putty / RDP , this is a good option if your fine with your data passing through their servers.

I've ERX too, can u pls elaborate on the setup you did on ERX. I guess u just forwarded the wan ports 80,443 to your internal IP ?

Also when we ask jio to forward ports, we would give the erx wan IP and Mac to them for all the 3 forwards they would do ?

Hi All ,

I thought I would share some insights on the following as there are a lot of misconceptions / not enough information which has led to a lot of assumptions with regards to JioFibre

Especially on public static IPs , port forwarding. I have explored this Jio fibre router in depth and here are my findings along with solutions to the main issue of not being able to access your devices from outside.

1. JioFibre does give you a valid static routable public IP in the 49.44.xxx.xxx range only when you ask them for it.
  2. Only 3 external ports are mapped to 3 internal ports (they will not map more than 3 ports)
  3. You can choose any 3 internal ports in the range from 80-8000 to be mapped. Eg the external public ports can be 16601, 16602 , 16603 and internal ports can be 80 , 3389 ,443
  5. The above port 16601 is mapped by them in their backend to your internal port say 80. If you have a webserver listening on an internal IP address like 192.168.29.5 on port 80 , all you need to do is type the url mentioned in point 4.
  6. The final mapping of the ports from external to internal takes place on the jio fibre router in the security menu – Custom services – ports defined there should be the external ports. Then in the next tab on port forwarding select the new customservice from the dropdown and add the internal IP say 192.168.29.5 and port 80. Add on similar grounds the 2 remaining ports that have been mapped.
Now the most important part is how do you connect with them and ask them to give you a routable static IP and do the mappings.
  2. State your requirement of a public Static IP which is routable – Mention you need this for IPCameras / NVR and you need to connect to your cameras from outside
  3. Do not mention you want to host a webserver etc as then they may not accept the request.
  4. They will respond back in a day or two on details of your camera , internal IP address and Mac address and availability of the IT person. In my case I told them I am the IT guy and have the knowledge and details of the camera and the ports that are used by it.
  5. They will then send a guy to your home. This person is non-technical who only knows how to connect cables. He will call up his Network team in JIO. I told him I would like to speak with them and explain my situation.
  6. I did a lot of probing on the technical details of what they will need to do and hence understood the entire flow from them.
  7. I had my IPcam connected via wifi and gave them the IP address and Mac address along with the ports that I had configured on it. Remember only 3 ports are allowed to be mapped.
  8. You can have you PC mac address show up in the router interface and tell them that on this IP address, mac address and port the port forwarding rules are to be made
  9. They will then give you a valid routable public IP address and 3 external ports and ask you to choose any 3 internal ports in the range 80-8000
  10. The Existing WAN IP on the router which is a CG Nat remains the same, just another static IP is told verbally to you. This static IP Is not configured on the jio router. Its just mapped to your external WAN IP address seen by other websites and mapping of 3 external ports to 3 internal ports.
  11. Once done you can then connect as an example on http://49.44.61.xxx:16601 . ping and telnet on this IP and port also work and so does my camera , my webserver , my plex server.

1. Its extremely restricted . Speaking to them I understood that bridge mode will never work as once you do it , Jio will loose the ability to control things.
  2. IPV6 is restricted as of now and is NATTED , so its no use as of now. They are working on this so that every individual device will get a routable IPV6 but they really don’t know when this will get active.
  3. The range of the JIOwifi router is not that great , so I use my own router – Edgerouter X and 2 AP’s (Apple Airport Extreme and Ubiquiti AC Lite. Even though iam now double NATTED , I have port forwarded their internal ports to my router and even if Iam on a different subnet I can still connect from outside. I have switched of the wireless on the Jio fibre router and all they see now are just 2 devices – My edgerouterX and my Xbox one X which is wired directly to the Jiorouter as this works perfect for multiplayer gaming as its open NAT connected in this manner.

In my search to find another solution in case jio would not give me a valid static IP , I came across this ZeroTier – Global Area Networking

1. Its an excellent solution and so easy to implement and is end to end encrypted.
  3. All that is needed is their client to be installed either on the device you want to connect to like a windowsPC / Macs , routers (DDRT or ability to install Debian packages like the EdgeRouter X)
  4. It will then create its own virtual private Ethernet and you can install its client on your iPhone / android phone etc and connect to your home machines from outside like a VPN tunnel at full speeds (not relayed)
  5. I had this setup on my EdgerouterX and created routes to connect to my own subnet from zerotier so that I don’t have to install the Zerotier client on every device.
  6. All that needs to be done is on my iphone / ipad switch on the zerotier client (VPN) and I have full access to my entire home network at full speeds and no port forwarding needed at all.

In fact Iam using this method the most even though I now have a static IP from JIO but that entire traffic is not encrypted plus have limited access to only 3 services (3 port restriction)

I would suggest to first try Zerotier as its free for 100 devices and can be installed on a router directly like the EdgerouterX which can be purchased from Amazon or use a raspberry pie. But for a simple test to see if this works install the zerotier client on your PC or mac and have either a webserver running or plex and from your iphone / android phone download the ZeroTier client and start it and check via 4g if your able to connect to your PC /Mac

There are also other services like Portmap.io - free port forwarding solution which is free as well for only one mapping and while it requires only one openvpn client to be installed on one end , its traffic is relayed from their servers . Most alternatives work on this approach by relaying traffic and they start charging for more mappings. If all you do is putty / RDP , this is a good option if your fine with your data passing through their servers.

In a nutshell there are now multiple options available to connect to your home / IOT devices and most ISP will switch to CG Nat at some point .

I don’t have issues with speeds on Jiofibre , I get around 240 Mbps down and 24 Mbps Up. Just get a VPN like Nord VPN etc and everything works including torrents , 8GB downloads in 2-3 mins on torrents.

Netflix streams at 25 MBPs along with dolby atmos for 4k

Appletv 4k streams their 4k Movies and Tv shows (many) in 4k @ 40 Mbps along with dolby atmos – This by far is the most stunning image quality when watched on an LGC8 65 inch OLED TV.

My previous ISP MTNL which is now my backup would throttle my Netflix 4k and Apptv4k streams . I do not have that problem with jio.

Its unlikely Jio is able to do deep packet inspection if you use vpn.

In my 2 weeks of using JIO , I have not had any downtime or disconnections and no drop in speeds at anytime of the day. The only catch is 4k eats up data.
I'm not sure, how can I use ddns service of my Asus router from outside network? Things I want to use are
1. DDNS (router configuration)
2. Download Master - add things to download remotely to the router
3. Personal cloud (Access HD connected with the router)

Check out zerotier

Reactions: a.c
Hi All ,

11. Once done you can then connect as an example on http://49.44.61.xxx:16601 . ping and telnet on this IP and port also work and so does my camera , my webserver , my plex server.

In a nutshell there are now multiple options available to connect to your home / IOT devices and most ISP will switch to CG Nat at some point .

I don’t have issues with speeds on Jiofibre , I get around 240 Mbps down and 24 Mbps Up. Just get a VPN like Nord VPN etc and everything works including torrents , 8GB downloads in 2-3 mins on torrents.

Netflix streams at 25 MBPs along with dolby atmos for 4k

Appletv 4k streams their 4k Movies and Tv shows (many) in 4k @ 40 Mbps along with dolby atmos – This by far is the most stunning image quality when watched on an LGC8 65 inch OLED TV.

My previous ISP MTNL which is now my backup would throttle my Netflix 4k and Apptv4k streams . I do not have that problem with jio.

Its unlikely Jio is able to do deep packet inspection if you use vpn.

In my 2 weeks of using JIO , I have not had any downtime or disconnections and no drop in speeds at anytime of the day. The only catch is 4k eats up data.
Hi, can you please give a quick and easy guide to fix the moderate/double NAT problem I have on my XBOX One with JioFiber. I face connectivity issues with multiplayer gaming and its so damn irritating. If I enable UPnP, I get doubleNAT. If I disable uPnP, I get moderate NAT. If you can please share easy solution, it will relieve lot of stress!