Reliance JioFiber: Port Forwarding NOT SUPPORTED

• Thread starter Thread starter spacer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 188
  • Views Views 110,944
The JioFiber router web interface presents option for port forwarding however it does not work in practice.
The page accepts and saves all the configuration changes you do. Yet you won't be able to connect to the port from outside.

The router also has a DMZ and UPnP options and those do not work either.
Customer care is unable to help ("We have no information about this at the moment")

The IP address as seen from outside is different than what the router shows as its WAN IP. So the router is not directly exposed to the internet. It is behind a NAT/Firewall.

The IP the router sees is 100.XX.XX.XX
IP as seen by sites like whatismyip.com is 49.XX.XX.XX

As far as I know 100.XX.XX.XX is a public IP but trying to access that IP from outside does not work either. So the router is sitting behind a firewall.

This is a major limitation if you want to run any kind of server. So developers and gamers beware.
If you want to make your DVR internet accessible, you can't.

With JioFi (dongle) you could use internet accessible IPv6 address to eliminate need of port forwarding but the Jio Fiber router only allocates local IPv6 addresses. Even if IPv6 worked like JioFi, it would not solve problem for IPv4 connections. So there is no alternative at the moment. You can use a VPN, but it slows you down and has other limitations.

I was planning to discontinue my old ISP but due to this limitation, I might have to discontinue JioFiber instead.

Last edited:
Thanks @mgforce, although it looks like getting a static IP + PF done might be impossible for any webserver or P2P stuff...

@mgforce If you have static IP, can you put your Jio router in bridge mode and use any other router for setting up port forwarding by yourself?

that is called double NAT, the router you have is connected to another router(which the ISP has) which connects to the internet. So even if you port forward from your router its pretty much useless.

Its not just JioFiber, a lot of ISPs do it, and new ISPs are pretty much guaranteed to do it. But if you really need to host a server, you should not be using this setup at all, home internet is not intended for hosting servers.

I am behind a double NAT and I haven't had any issues with games and there are multiple other options to host servers from your house,
So your "developers and gamers beware" is not really valid. IPv4 is basically extinct at this point, so what do you expect?

Pay more and get a static IP from some other ISP
ninja EDIT : the WAN IP you are seeing in the router is NOT 100.x.x.x, more like 10.x.x.x.

It is true most ISPs do this in India, but if you need to host a game server it is really expensive with cloud providers for large workloads (8gb ram+good cpu). Personally i have tried google cloud, aws, DigitalOcean. Budget comes to 8k for bare minimum without ddos protection and your using shared resources.

Next comes dedicated servers (not shared resources) which is what is usually used for game servers. The big minecraft server cubecraft hosts their servers on ovh cloud using game server plan (Full Game Server range).

Ovh is the cheapest cloud provider if you use gcp or aws cost will be 50% more but they don't have data centers in India and the latency is pretty high.

Next the only option is to host your own, which is what I am planning to do. (Which is cheaper IMO if you have old pcs)

I am open to suggestions

Source: I got Port forwarded for my CCTV Setup by raising a request. I had to share the IP address and ports on which CCTV was listening and JioFiber team sent a technician with static IP and port numbers.
[/QUOTE]

After lot of fire fighting with jio technicians i too got the IP address and successfully view my DVR , but not able to login , it gives an error "Fail to connect device in sub connection"

They have done some changes in the Port forwarding the custom services

Any inputs appreciated

oPiACAo.webp

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I spoke to them ..they provided a ip address to hit DVR ..but not abke to login

And your WAN IPv4 remains the same or has you been provided with a public IP?

Hey have any of you guys tried SSH based port forwarding ? You would need a VM outside (there are free servers who can give you free ssh as of today) and you can have an externally visible server under doubt NAT.