Reliance JioFiber: Port Forwarding NOT SUPPORTED

• Thread starter Thread starter spacer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 188
  • Views Views 111,188
The JioFiber router web interface presents option for port forwarding however it does not work in practice.
The page accepts and saves all the configuration changes you do. Yet you won't be able to connect to the port from outside.

The router also has a DMZ and UPnP options and those do not work either.
Customer care is unable to help ("We have no information about this at the moment")

The IP address as seen from outside is different than what the router shows as its WAN IP. So the router is not directly exposed to the internet. It is behind a NAT/Firewall.

The IP the router sees is 100.XX.XX.XX
IP as seen by sites like whatismyip.com is 49.XX.XX.XX

As far as I know 100.XX.XX.XX is a public IP but trying to access that IP from outside does not work either. So the router is sitting behind a firewall.

This is a major limitation if you want to run any kind of server. So developers and gamers beware.
If you want to make your DVR internet accessible, you can't.

With JioFi (dongle) you could use internet accessible IPv6 address to eliminate need of port forwarding but the Jio Fiber router only allocates local IPv6 addresses. Even if IPv6 worked like JioFi, it would not solve problem for IPv4 connections. So there is no alternative at the moment. You can use a VPN, but it slows you down and has other limitations.

I was planning to discontinue my old ISP but due to this limitation, I might have to discontinue JioFiber instead.

Last edited:
@sayangr what will that achieve?

Jio let you forward upto 3 ports for CCTV monitoring, seach this thread for more info.
This is old information. I have successfully forwarded 5 ports by contacting Customer care. There does not seem to be any hard restriction on number of ports forwarded. However, if you ask them to forward 100 ports, they will refuse obviously.

I have successfully forwarded 5 ports by contacting Customer care.
How do I figure out what is the pingable ip from outside without talking to customer service?

Customer service has mapped three port fwds but didn't bother giving me the public ip to test.
I understand it's not the wan ip on the router or the public ip from whatsmyipaddress.

Jio CS is painful to reach even for basic questions.

You cannot ping these public IPs. Make use of a DDNS service, to make note of any changing IP address on the WAN side.

In case ports are opened by jio customer care then how would we connect, lets say use remote desktop, over internet. What will be the ip address that one would have to connect to.

@mahesh1283 call up their support and ask them the IP address and port number which they have forwarded. The engineer who visited told me that information which he got from backend team.

@mahesh1283 No. That is Jio’s port forwarding server with fixed static IP address. This is not port forwarding technically. It is Port Mapping from Jio's end. It is one way incoming traffic useful for CCTV or Remote Desktop access and cannot be used for bittorrent port forwarding.

Last edited:
@tatyasky so incase you need to remote desktop from outside the network are you able to use this static ip address?

For example lets assume
1. Static ip address given by jio customer care is 101.102.34.45.
2. Port opened by jio customer care is 3000
3. Target home pc lan ip address is 192.168.21.55
4. Port open in home pc for incoming traffic is 4000

Then what will be your port forward settings in jio router port forward setting page?

Can you please also tell me the process to apply for portforwarding and static ip request?
Is it done informally over phone?
Or do i have to write a email to customer care for this?
Also how long does it take for them to open ports and communicate it to the customer?

You have to use 101.102.34.45:3000 as IP in remote desktop app. In Jio router web GUI, create CustomService1 with port 3000 and under port forwarding, select CustomService1 from drop down list. Make sure you set it as active. Enter local LAN port 192.168.1.55 and remote desktop port as 3389. Hit save.

@tatyasky thanks buddy, i will give it a go.

Today i called up jio customer care and requtested a static ip to which their executive said that it is not their practice to provide static ips. I told her that i need this to run cctv so that i can monitor my house when i am travelling. I asked her to take down my request and provide a complaint number. I will callback after a few days if i dont hear from them.

Hi All,

I have a Plex Media Server installed on NAS. I have music library running on this server that I listen to from outside my home.
I had set a local static IP for my NAS and manual port forwarding rule in Plex. This setup helped me seamlessly access my music library from outside my home (via Internet). This was my set for BSNL.

I transitioned to Jio Fiber few days back and I am unable to make this work on Jio Fiber. This thread has some insights but I am little confused. If any of you have done this, can you please share steps to achieve this?