Reliance JioFiber: No Cable in my area? (Delhi)

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 63558
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3,853
D

Deleted member 63558

Hi. I have been waiting for Reliance JioFiber.

Whenever I read the news about JioFiber. They mention that it's already testing in Delhi and launch is at the end of the year.

But, I don't see any Jio Labor or worker trying to get the fiber installed in our area.

Infact, I don't see any line going or construction happening on the GT Road itself.

Are they planning to cover whole Delhi or the limited parts of it?

It has been time and again said that they wouldn't bother about residential plots / Independent houses for the next 2 years. If ,incase they bother, their focus group is always gonna be premium or heavily occupied apartments.

@yougotmehere I didn't get you. Whole Delhi is full of Independent Plots.

Society Culture is there in Gurgaon not in Delhi.

If they are going to be for Society? Who are they providing JioFiber to in Delhi? Pretty Strange tactics.

i live in an independent house and their fibers are passing through the front of my house.
they are already using these cables to provide connectivity to commercial area to the next of my sector.
also from what i have heard, they have fiber connectivity to their towers so if you have a jio tower around your house, they already have fiber connectivity leading to your area. they just have to expand it to individual lanes.
maybe initially they would offer services through wireless in areas where they haven't laid down wires to all individual houses. or it would get covered slowly with time.
it's hard to say what their strategies are to cover most of the urban area with initial launch.

even spectra which is known to only target societies has laid down cables in my sector. there is a box just on the left of my house. and a friend of mine who lives in another part of the same sector also has a box installed on the closest pole. all individual houses in my area. they are not doing it underground as one would have expected. remains to be seen if jio would be forced to take the same route to cover more areas at a faster pace.

someone on the forum recently stated that even airtel has started doing it with their ftth connections overground in some localities. so even jio could probably take the same route. or maybe even acquire smaller players like nextra or excitel which have covered large parts of individual cities to expand their presence.

Hi. I believe, I have Jio Tower nearby somewhere because when Jio was new, I had a engg. visit and he said that there is a tower nearby.

Secondly, If the tower is nearby. It means they have to install the fiber from Tower to our houses via. Underground only right?

If that's also the case, I don't see any underground work happening.

What do you mean by the overground thing?

hanging cables on trees and poles like local cable operators. airtel seems to have started doing it. jio might do the same.

Airtel is doing this for so long time. Maybe many doesn't know about it though.

Jio might do the same I believe, if they do so, they better get ready to see the wires getting cut down.

well... airtel is known to pay local lcos to not cut their cables even at places where they have mostly underground network. jio would probably take the same route.
or they can just acquire lcos to expand at an even rapid pace. which is what scares me because if they take this route, it would result in disappearance of other smaller players from a lot of areas.

1. Last year only someone cut the whole Airtel wires from the local box (around more than 200 cables). I don't believe if Airtel is actually paying or not.

2. If Jio goes with the same thing as Airtel and Excitel are doing (Thekedaar, Contractors), Jio is pretty dead already for Fiber for me.

Contractors care nothing about quality.

remains to be seen if jio would. i am keeping my hopes low. reliance has never been known for quality of service. they drag the quality of service level of the entire industry with them. happened with rcom. happened with jio.

well that's the thing. jio has a lot of fans because it does seem to work great at a lot of places.
for me, airtel has been better performer so i am sticking with it.
the problem is that cheaper mobile plans is resulting in an overall poor quality of service. smaller players have disappeared. fewer options are available to customers. and jiofiber would end up doing the same to the wired internet market in the country and that would be horrible in my opinion.

In 4G mobile they had a advantage besides the BJP govt. at their disposal... the advantage was that everything was under their control, they did not depend on anyone to market/ sell/ receive payment...

But for wired internet they would have to depend on LCOs for last mile connectivity.... So Jio Fiber would not cause much disruption...

In fact the opposite might be true, if they do not have their own setup at each location (very unlikely) or have good understanding with LCOs (which is also unlikely)....

Otherwise also.... I do not hear any distinct advantage, at least in cities... though might be useful in rural/ remote locations where other ISPs might not find financially viable...

@yougotmehere I didn't get you. Whole Delhi is full of Independent Plots.

Society Culture is there in Gurgaon not in Delhi.

If they are going to be for Society? Who are they providing JioFiber to in Delhi? Pretty Strange tactics.

i agree that majority of delhi might be independent houses, but for now their focus is Apartments. As a matter of fact, Jio Fibre is already live in Alaknanda and few Apartments in Kalkaji, Palam, Dwarka which i don't remeber. Magic won't happen overnight. Even if they plan to extend it to residential plots in the next 6-8months, the work would have started by now, say it underground or overhead. God only knows, their real plan

Do they need a separate an exchange as well for fiber as well? (Like - BSNL has for ADSL lines). Or they can just install a machine on the tower and provide connections? Please share your views.