Reliance Jio vs. Airtel (and the rest)

Reliance Jio: Mukesh Ambani Shrunk The Idiot Box, BofAML Survey Shows - Bloomberg Quint

Not just rival wireless carriers, the cheap data boom driven by India’s richest man now threatens to disrupt cable television services providers.

Nearly half of the customers of Mukesh Ambani’s telecom upstart Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd. said they use their mobile internet connection “primarily” to watch live television, according to a report by Bank of America Merrill Lynch. “The telecom aggregation apps like JioTV and JioCinema are turning into one-stop places for consumers to view all content as they do not have to download the individual over-the-top streaming apps”.

BofAML’s survey also revealed that JioTV—the live television streaming app—was the most used among the bouquet of services that Jio offers. A similar trend was visible at India’s largest telecom operator Bharti Airtel Ltd. as well. The Airtel TV app has over 10 million downloads “despite Bharti being relatively late to the game,” the report said.

I 99% of the time use Wifi. I don't use data and my daily data limits always go waste. Since I am not a Taxi driver or travel through Metro so I don't use Data. My office and home has good Wifi.

The above observation by OpenSignal is meaningless as most Jio users who joined earliest were either leachers or first time smartphone users, so most of them might not have Wifi at all.

So giving credit to Jio for better 4G network on this criteria does not make any sense.

Airtel’s network has become horrible in Gurgaon of late - at least in my society and office. Finally decided to port to Jio . Now hoping Airtel doesn’t reject MNP on some random ground. Last time I ported from Voda to Airtel I had to write a few emails to their Nodal officer because those idiots kept rejecting my port out citing vague reasons.