Reliance Jio True 5G

• Thread starter Thread starter socrates
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
  • Replies Replies 805
  • Views Views 106,470
Today, I received Jio 5g invite and I accepted. I am in Bangalore, Yelhanka side.
I have AirTel sim also. Both sim are in iPhone 12 running iOS 16 Beta 3. I have 5G enabled.
I am using nPerf app to see 5G towers roll out. Speedtest app shows 5G towers in my own society but my phone doesn't catch signals. I guess speedtest app is more like advertising app for network providers without actual status.
Which app you guys use to see actual 5G tower activation roll out status?

I had responded this 'invite' last month. Well, it is good news but my iPhone is yet to get the 5G update. Damn!

Yesterday on Thane Belapur road near Reliance corporate park we had a Reno 6 5G(Coloros 13 beta) and an iPhone 12 mini (iOS 16.2 beta). Both on Jio Sims but not yet received welcome offer.
iPhone caught 5G signals all the way from Ghansoli to Kalwa but nothing on the Reno6.
Now the thing is where i live in Navi Mumbai, Jio 5G signals are live, but neither phone catches 5g signals in addition to Redmi K50i and Moto G 5G. So the whole welcome offer thing is a mystery.
Got the welcome offer finally on Reno6 and iPhone 12 mini. The reception on the iphone is so poor that it does not catch the network 90% of the time; whereas on the Reno its a constantly above 3bars. Still no welcome offer or Airtel 5G on the other 2 household phones the Redmi K50i and Moto G 5G.

@Alvord12 I think you tried it on netflix's "fast" which gave you 2Gbps. Sometimes they give fake results, so it's best to try on Ookla.
I tried that Speed Test on the road. Have started getting 5G signal inside my house (it's way better than 4G!). Ookla gave me results in the range of 400 - 500 Mbps. The battery drain is quite noticeable while using 5G (went down by 10% in a matter of minutes).

Dear Jio User,
Delhi is now live with JioTrue5G & you too can get invited to the Jio Welcome Offer, that provides TRULY UNLIMITED 5G Data with speeds up to 1 Gbps.
Simply recharge with Rs. 239 or above Jio Plan.
With Love,
From Jio

2 observations:
1) Wifi calling does not work when on 5G. Either phone model specific issue or a Jio backend configuration that they are yet to do. Any other user can check and confirm.
2) VoNR: Looks like another Jio backend configuration update needed or a feature planned for later launch.