Reliance Jio to offer 4G handsets starting at 2,000

• Thread starter Thread starter India_King
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 3,000
Mukesh Ambani-led energy-to-retail conglomerate Reliance Industries (RIL) is planning to launch fourth generation or 4G-enabled entry-level smartphones for as less as Rs 2,000, bettering the promise of launching such devices for less than Rs 4,000 during RIL's AGM in May.

These entry-level smartphones with inbuilt Jio apps will be sold under the in-house brand 'ReConnect' and will be sold through the network of Reliance Retail, the retailing arm of RIL. The idea is replicate the success of 'Monsoon Hungama', when Reliance Communications (now owned by Anil Ambani) gave away mobile connections along with mobile handsets for just Rs 501 during 2003-2004 to capture the mass market.

Reliance Jio, the telecommunications arm of RIL, targets to corner 10 crore of the 90 crore consumers in the world's fastest growing mobile market. "We want the entire range of smartphones to be available for the consumers to choose from. Starting from entry-level smartphones for Rs 2,000 to iPhones for Rs 20,000. There will be various price points to meet the needs of all the consumers," a Reliance Jio official told TOI on the condition of anonymity.

Reliance Jio to offer 4G handsets starting at 2,000 - The Times of India

ReConnect? Really? They picked a name which actually make their services sound terrible?

Internet is slow? Reconnect karke dekho.

Right. Got confused there for a while. I had absolutely horrible experience with their services team. I think they call it Reliance ResQ. You need ResQ(uing) from them if you fall into the trap.

there are a few exceptions. reliance appears to be the only company that has sent me cheques for excess payments for disconnected connections. two times. without any manual effort of sending them a reminder or an application. both the times the cheque came out as total surprises and i actually had to connect the dots to realize that the cheque was connected to that connection that i got disconnected few weeks ago.

Oh. I absolutely love rcom gsm and cdma for the service they provide and the price at which they provide it. The one time they deducted my balance on CDMA, they refunded the amount along with some credit.

I was referring to the rather poor reputation reliance has in the minds of the the general public.

There are talks that JIO 4G has gotten delayed up to March 2016. Bravo for trolling us this long. Slowly going down the was of Hayai Network.
By the time Jio launches 4G, AVOID group must have already deployed 5G network.
They have completely lost the early entry advantage. Instead of nationwide launch, they could stage it citywise like Airtel.

RJio is showing its incompetent strategy. If they launch 4G one year after Airtel, they will loose their marketing advantage. Also Vodafone and Idea may be launching limited 4G in 2016. Then RJio will also be battling these telecom companies while Airtel would've already established a significant 4G Customer base across India.

All this shows that RIL is not adequately prepared to enter telecom business. That's why its depending with joint partnership with RCom. Already looks like disappointment to me.

I am only interested in their wireline business. Lets see where it goes.