Reliance Jio to charge for outgoing calls to other operators

• Thread starter Thread starter Sam27
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 167
  • Views Views 17,774
One basic question :
What if I don't recharge with a plan and keep on topping my balance with ₹10 topups?
Is that valid? Or is it mandatory to have a base plan (say ₹98 plan which is the minimum)?
(It is ok if I don't get any data or sms)

Yes it is mandatory to recharge a base plan.

Whichever way TRAI swings it once again shows poor management skills on part of Jio which is so unlike RIL.

j7LFRGL.png

Whatever they do they are going to be cursed by anyone of the telco's camps. They have brought this upon themselves as their credibility has been eroded for some time now.

Last edited:
They have brought this upon themselves as their credibility has been eroded for some time now.
Before Jio's IUC change, they were providing truly unlimited calling, whereas Airtel Vodafone and Idea aka AVoId gave a soft limit of 250 minutes a day, and 1000 minutes a week. No one complained of that. The complaints only started now, because they can see that they're paying extra for IUC minutes.

Airtel is still trying hard to get back to 250 - 300 ARPU, and wants the IUC to stay. They even wanted to raise it back to 14p/m so that they can continue their daylight robbery in hiking the plans. They know that only Jio is the only one who isn't benefited because of the traffic imbalance.

Believe it or not, if TRAI scraps IUC on 1st Jan 2020, the cartel will rush to close down 2G, and it will be complete by 2021. If not, they'll close it in 2030.

It's completely stupid.
Running 2G networks is not profitable,IUC has to stay until 2G networks are around.
When they shutdown 2G/3G networks,Trai should scrap the IUC charges.
It may seem like daylight robbery but it is the cost of maintaining 2G/3G infra,getting roi on thier infra. Incumbents payed "full price" for spectrum,unlike jio who got at a throwaway pricing by cheating and using thier political clout.
What they end up is with a entity which is trying all possible ways to become a monopoly and wants to do business with our personal data.
Basically TRAI does what's best for Jio,so does the union govt either it's bjp or congress party.

If I remember correctly charging more for calls to numbers of other operators was specifically disallowed by TRAI but those days were different & these days are different. Now the mantra is different. I remember the open & brazen statement in the 80's 'Every man has a price & I am willing to pay it'.
😲

Hmm I remembered my old post. Now their new plans post iuc charge now have a different spin.😁

Before Jio's IUC change, they were providing truly unlimited calling, whereas Airtel Vodafone and Idea aka AVoId gave a soft limit of 250 minutes a day, and 1000 minutes a week. No one complained of that. The complaints only started now, because they can see that they're paying extra for IUC minutes.

Airtel is still trying hard to get back to 250 - 300 ARPU, and wants the IUC to stay. They even wanted to raise it back to 14p/m so that they can continue their daylight robbery in hiking the plans. They know that only Jio is the only one who isn't benefited because of the traffic imbalance.

Believe it or not, if TRAI scraps IUC on 1st Jan 2020, the cartel will rush to close down 2G, and it will be complete by 2021. If not, they'll close it in 2030.
Yes if they scrap iuc by Jan 1 2020 we might see faster closing of 2G networks. But the un-liberalised 2G spectrum of Airtel is valid till 2021 so iuc might stay until the 2G spectrum expiry date.

Even if TRAI doesn't scrap IUC, I'm hoping for a better network experience on Jio because there'll be some people who'd start recharging their old Airtel/Vodafone numbers, reducing the load on Jio. Anyway the rest will raise prices soon and that's kind of expected.