Reliance Jio spotted in Mumbai

ISP
Airtel XStream, Airtel 4G
Spotted IND-JIO in Mumbai. I found it only in LTE mode on my N6. This means that Reliance Jio will be using FDD in Mumbai.

ff031455fb01680e8187778bc7aa8940.jpg

Yes may be testing!

And whats the speedtest on your signature ?

Rjio has got 6.6 MHz of 1800MHz spectrum, 5 MHz of 800MHz spectrum and 20 MHz of 2300MHz bwa spectrum. So they are not going to use 1800MHz for voice and volte seems the only possible option. Please don't tell me that they are going to use CDMA for voice. Lte on 800 MHz will be very good for highways and rural areas, IMHO..

Reliance Jio to partner with Reliance Communications

It was in news last week that RJio will use has 800 Mhz spectrum for 4G network and will use RCOM's spectrum in circle where Jio doesn't have spectrum under the new spectrum sharing rules notified by government.

LTE on 800 MHz probably will be much better for coverage inside buildings than one on 1800 or 2300 MHz. Only problem is that very few handsets sold in India support Jio's 800 MHz band. So they will have to aggressive work on getting appropriate handsets in the market.

They are going to bring their own handsets in all price ranges. All they had to do is to keep the data price cheap. New handset purchase is one time investment. People will not hesitate to buy new phone if the data pack price is really really cheap.

Right, I wont part away with my Smartphone to get JIO branded (which would perhaps be locked) Smartphone.
There could be 2 options, low cost and high cost phones. Low cost may not provide benefits of 4G network as it may have small screen and low specs hardware, and high cost phone would means again some more investment.

Does any handset support the variant of 800 MHz used in India?

And don't the rules require the operator to hold spectrum in the band they intend to share in the same circle.

question arise whats the band of 800 reliance will be on? 20,5 or other though 5 is called 850mhz

@chromaniac people need not throw their costly phones to make a switch to RJio.. RJio's ReConnect handsets are for people without 4G phones..

@x720 yes, its band 5 spectrum and people need not worry much as RJio has that spectrum in just 10 circles [Mumbai, Haryana, UP[E], MP+CG, Assam, Bihar, HP, JK, NE, Orissa] and can share with RCom in these circles only. As @igloo said almost all latest phones support band 5, incl Indian iPhone 6, S6, Moto X style, etc.. This band will NOT be must, unless otherwise RJio wants to take over RCom, which I doubt due to heavy debt of RCom..

But RJio has Band 3 spectrum in 18 circles, except Punjab, UP[W], Bihar and JK.. Punjab and UP[W] has just 2300MHz only, where coverage will be a huge issue, afaik.. So main thing is we have to look for Band 3 + Band 40 support. All the affordable vfm 4G phones released in India in past two years have support for 3 bands -- 1 / 3 / 40..

Yes, The next important and less noticed band is Band 1 [2100MHz], which is used for 3G now.. 15MHz of 2100MHz [upto 3 winners per circle] liberalized spectrum all over India [20MHz in case of Delhi, Mumbai, AP circles] is up for auction in Feb / Mar 2016.. It will be very useful for incumbents Airtel, Vodafone and Idea.. They can get extra 2100MHz in their 3G circles and use it to launch 4G whenever they prefer [to avoid their premium customers to move to RJio].. Main advantage is Voice fallback will be on 3G.. Thatz the reason Airtel got extra 5MHz of 2100MHz spectrum in TN..

I don't uh understand when its band 5 then why don't Indian media n dot refers to it as 850mhz not 800.