Reliance Jio JioGigaFiber Gigabit FTTH Service

pothi

Shhhhhh!
Regulars
FUP will not be removed anytime in the next 5 years. If Jio offers best value (TB) for money, that'd do. Like how Jio's entry reduced "per GB price" in mobile segment.

Yeah thats also true. But with with netflix and many more 4k streaming services being available now. I would rather go for low speed no FUP (100mbps), than getting a high speed with FUP connection.

Given what they did to the mobile network market, JIOFiber would surely bring down the price and thats a great thing.:)

Raj

Regulars
It's not that hard to provide no FUP connection. 75 - 90% of the content can be cached on ISP servers. Given Jio and its infra at scale I won't be surprised if they offer 100+ Mbps without any FUP. Also they own a few submarine cables which provides some leverage over other ISPs.

FYI: I had a 200 Mbps no FUP connection in Chennai from a local ISP.

pothi

Shhhhhh!
Regulars
ISPs need money to buy storage to cache the content, especially movies and music. Live videos can't be cached. Even to distribute to large audience, an ISP needs a large infrastructure. Only government can do away with FUP, by investing the tax payers money in the infrastructure. Some governments, such as South Korea has removed FUP limits. So, technically, it is possible by government. Not by the private players. At least, not without a huge monthly fee by the subscribers.

That's why I said, even if Jio's entry into fiber can bring down the price per TB, that's a win for us (consumers).

Raj

Regulars
Yes I agree Jio will bring down price per TB. But many private operators are better equipped than government owned BSNL. Caching is not difficult. Almost all private operators have caching/ peering agreements with Google/Netflix/Amazon /Akamai. Even airtel is done away with FUP in some places after Jio announcement. We will see no FUP future very soon. With many global companies opening data centers in India no FUP is very easy. It is already happening with many ISPs. Live streaming cannot be cached but it passes via CDN. You can see hotstar and akamai has made a record with over 10 million live viewers.

Zexen

Regulars
I am surprised that apart from Airtel nobody has reacted to Gigafiber announcement. I thought small isps will slash prices. Looks like the mentality hasn't changed. Guess they didn't learn anything from the 4G launch. They will get up their asses once they start bleeding customers and revenue. Maybe they are just waiting for Tariffs announcement from Jio.

pothi

Shhhhhh!
Regulars
I am surprised that apart from Airtel nobody has reacted to Gigafiber announcement. I thought small isps will slash prices. Looks like the mentality hasn't changed. Guess they didn't learn anything from the 4G launch. They will get up their asses once they start bleeding customers and revenue. Maybe they are just waiting for Tariffs announcement from Jio.
Decision making isn't easy, especially to bring down the prices. It wouldn't done in one-go as well. For example, BSNL has increased the FUP limit by 50GB in three FTTH plans in Kerala. It may take a few more weeks for the rest of the states to follow-up.

Even within Airtel, the decisions aren't widespread. It has removed FUP on certain plans only in Hyderabad. Now, I got a call from Airtel (Madurai) saying that my FUP can be removed if I request a new plan. I currently pay 999 + taxes for 2mbps connection. The new plan is 399 + taxes for the same speed, without FUP. As you said, Jio hasn't even announced the tariff details. When it releases, the decision would be taken faster resulting in better value for money for the consumers.