Reliance Jio Fibre Broadband (FTTH) Problem: Unidentified Devices connecting to ONT device (Jio Fibre Router)

• Thread starter Thread starter Drumworld
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 31,994
ISP
Jio Fibre FTTH
I have been using Jio Fibre for the past 6 months. Worked brilliantly until recently.

I started receiving SMS alerts regarding devices being connected to my jio network. I did not bother initially but started investigating when my phone kept buzzing every 5 mins. At least 5 to 6 new devices were being connected to my wifi network which were not known to me. I had not shared my wifi password with anyone and hence found something fishy.

On complaining at the Jio Customer Care over the phone I was guided to block the unwanted devices and to change my password. However the problem did not stop. New devices, unknown to me, kept connecting to my wifi network. In fact, wifi routers (e.g. TL-WR840N, WNR612v3) were also connected, which is appalling as these cannot connect to my network without a physical wire!

To make matters worse, my own devices (around 8 in number) were showing no internet.

This has started to make me believe of some foul play.

Despite repetitive complaints to Jio customer care, they don't seem to realise that any such problem exists.

If anyone else is facing the same issue, it would be of great help to guide me to a solution.
Thanks.

Interesting, would you mind sharing the SMS alerts that you've been getting?

Does the device expose a list of *wirelessly* connected clients on the WebUI, perhaps you can go through them and determine if there is an unknown device?

Regarding the wifi router names appearing on the list, it is possible that they are connected wirelessly, some of the routers does support being used as a repeater where it wirelessly connects to your wireless network and creates a separate network on its own. Another possibility is that these devices are connected in a wireless client configuration, where it wirelessly connects to your network and then makes available your network over ethernet.

If there are no devices connected to your ont device. Then another possibility is that someone used your Jio number to register for his/her Jio network.

HI! Thanks for the prompt reply.
I would surely like to share the SMS, but I don't know how to upload the screenshot here.

There is no UI showing devices which are wirelessly connected.

UPDATE:
An engineer came over to fix the problem today. He did a factory reset, solved the connectivity issue, so the internet is working fine now.
He helped me change the wifi SSID as well as the password by accessing the router settings (which apparently I could access only through his phone and not using my Macbook. On inquiring, he said only authorized devices like his can access the router settings)

This change of settings have not worked and the unwanted devices are still getting connected.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there are no devices connected to your ont device. Then another possibility is that someone used your Jio number to register for his/her Jio network.

Hey! Thanks for the reply!

This is quite distressing. How did I address the issue of my number being used to register another jio network. I use two numbers, so this could be happening.

UPDATE:
An engineer came over to fix the problem today. He did a factory reset, solved the connectivity issue, so the internet is working fine now.
He helped me change the wifi SSID as well as the password by accessing the router settings (which apparently I could access only through his phone and not using my Macbook. On inquiring, he said only authorized devices like his can access the router settings)

This change of settings have not worked and the unwanted devices are still getting connected.

Rename your network SSID, stop broadcasting it, change the password and see what happens.

THANKS!

UPDATE:

I need to stop broadcasting it. Shall try that. Thanks!

wtf. reliance does not allow the customer to change router ssid and ssid password? what nonsense is this!

Reactions: MSR
If you don't mind me asking, what is your SSID and password? Is it some generic phrase/number the service engineer configures for all customers in the area? 😉

How can it be possible that you don't have access to the router? Anyways a few tips to secure your network is to change your password and ensure that you are using WPA2
security protocol with AES encryption. You can find this in the router's wireless settings. Also ensure that you disable WPS key. Hiding your SSID will not really make a difference. But if you want to go a step further then setup mac-filtering.

Last edited:
Dont broadcast SSID and limit the number devices connected the router by selecting the number of devices you have at home.

^ The second part doesn't necessarily help, it would just prevent his genuine devices from connecting if at all some other devices have connected already.

Perhaps it would be better to put a MAC address white list, so only devices with the white listed MAC address can connect.

I googled and found these default login details for jio router Web UI

user: admin
pass: Jiocentrum

and if you cannot access your router , how jio customer care wanted you to block device and change password ? as mentioned in OP