Reliance Jio Fiber Static IPV6 IP

• Thread starter Thread starter Sonu2007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 12,091
IPv6 is different but the principles are the same. As for v6 deployment India is ahead of many countries on IPv6. But that's primarily due to Jio mobile. NATed or not depends on the network design, v6 is designed so we don't need NAT. It would take millions of years to run out of v6 addresses.

So at the end
1. Jio offers static IPv6..?
2. they don;t offer static IPv6 but their IP wont change frequently?
3. They do allow /64 by default and we get allocated within that range only?

1. No Jio does not offer static ipv6.
2. It would if your internet is disconnected or your router is rebooted etc, usually Ipv6 is given based on prefix delegation guess that's a bit helpful.
3. /64 is a very big range, you won't really run out of ips, plus that /64 will be shared with other customers.
PS - there are still many apps that do not support Ipv6 completely or natively. A lot of ISPs that also do offer Ipv6 comes with a fked up Ipv6 config, that disconnects every couple of hours. There are still millions of websites and websockets that you can't access without an ipv4. So yeah, unless it's adopted widely, don't talk about how smart you are with your Ipv6 or how much gravy you use with your Ipv6. For a new user, Ipv6 is still difficult to deal with.

1. No Jio does not offer static ipv6.
2. It would if your internet is disconnected or your router is rebooted etc, usually Ipv6 is given based on prefix delegation guess that's a bit helpful.
3. /64 is a very big range, you won't really run out of ips, plus that /64 will be shared with other customers.
PS - there are still many apps that do not support Ipv6 completely or natively. A lot of ISPs that also do offer Ipv6 comes with a fked up Ipv6 config, that disconnects every couple of hours. There are still millions of websites and websockets that you can't access without an ipv4. So yeah, unless it's adopted widely, don't talk about how smart you are with your Ipv6 or how much gravy you use with your Ipv6. For a new user, Ipv6 is still difficult to deal with.
1. It hardly changes(changed thrice in 4 months thats it) so not a big issue.
2. It stays the same even after reboots,resets
True, What I did was complain/raise an issue for ipv6 support and most of them got it within a month. In EU many ISPs use only IPv6 and I am pretty sure companies/services dont want to neglect it.
As for shitty IPv6 deployment, yes even my previous ISP (ACT Fibernet Hyderabad) had really bad routing that they disabled IPv6 for consumers and only enabled it for Leased Line customers.

It changed thrice for you, here we had times, where it changed every week, or a few days, and surely I doubt you ever reboot your router. We perform scheduled reboot every second week.
In eu ipv4 via Ipv6 also has its own set of problems of you have never looked it up, compared to that dual stack is still a better way.
And as I said, a lot of services and application have yet to adopt Ipv6.
If I'm paying for a service I'd want it to work the way I want, and not find diversions. Finding solutions in office environment and doing the same shit back home is already too much of a bs to work with.

Last edited:
Do they atleast give a routed IPv6 prefix? or are they using ndp?

Thanks guys for help.

What about Jio refund policy / process upon connection cancellation after trial period (30 days) and after using 4-6 months? Their refund process is smooth or need frequent followups?

They will deduct 1000rs as installation after 30 days and refund either 500 or 1500 depending on if you took STB or not. Refund is usually done within 3 to 4 days post collection of router from your house and it will take more time depending on which bank you used to pay.

plus that /64 will be shared with other customers
Do they really share the /64 with other people? Currently debating whether to go with Jio(new in town) or stick with local ISP(they don't have v6 btw and also use CGNAT and charge 350+taxes for static IP)

Major problem is i use a Mikrotik routerboard which does pppoe(my isp gives all info) using the the bridged onu modem. I have seen posts jio offers no such option.

@cadddr /64 is basically 2 to the power of 64 ip address, so obviously each device including other customers will have a unique ipv6 address, but since it's such a huge subset, it's quite difficult to know which device has what, even if that includes other customers. This is same for mobile data.
There are problem with using JioFiber in bridge mode, with some also reporting that they are unable to access their jio router settings at all.
While, V6 is the next big thing, it will still be a very long time until it's adopted to 100%, and even if that happen, i doubt ipv4 is going anywhere.
As an everyday user, you will be fine with a CGNAT internet, it's useful only if you want to host a server that can be accessible outside or you use private torrents that needs good access for better seeding or for gaming on P2P based servers like GTA5.

This is controversial but, I have had a good bunch of ISPs that are CGNAT, but still give give moderate port forwarding which is good enough for online gaming, so in the end it's upto what you need to do.

/64 is basically 2 to the power of 64 ip address, so obviously each device including other customers will have a unique ipv6 address, but since it's such a huge subset, it's quite difficult to know which device has what, even if that includes other customers.
That doesn't quite confirm if they share the /64 or not, most of my vpses have /64. Do they use dhcpv6 or slaac?(do we have a choice?)

No choice, it's dhcpv6, directly contolled by Jio.
/64 sharing meaning, eg, ip block
2409:4040:e01:5000::/64 shared among millions of users including you.
Eg2. Me living in one side of town, might have ipv6 2409:4040:e01:5000:a050:ffff:11ee:ffdd
While a friend on the other side of the town might have 2409:4040:e01:5000:d900:eeff:11be:ccaa
It's such a huge block, it's not something a person can just ip scan their way through.
So, I'm not sure what you are worried about.

Last edited:
I am not worried about scanning, any box you put in the v4 will be scanned non-stop by shodan and the likes. If jio does share prefixes(i am assuming they use DHCPv6-PD) with customers, i can't set static ips for machines in the network, ideally would like to setup a nameserver for local machines, without using ULA.