Reliance Jio Fiber Router are broadcasting hidden SSID even when Wi-Fi is disabled

• Thread starter Thread starter f3rmion
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 97
  • Views Views 40,315
They probably have/had plans for something like the recent Amazon Ring thing. So they have kept a hidden SSID.
It's been discussed earlier☺️

There’s something coming up called LTE Unlicensed Access. It’s basically using 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz WiFi to broadcast LTE signals. Sort of like a small cell (femtocell) but devices won’t need special radios, just a software update to their internal LTE modems. But what this allows Jio to do is create a mesh network to cover building interiors with LTE through your routers which act as femtocells for their use… you don’t need to worry about your data quota exhaustion, this traffic is often bridged and separate from your traffic. Your router acts as a base station relay only, completely transparent to the end user, and so your LAN and WAN traffic flow on completely different VLANs.

GUYS IMPORTANT UPDATE
They are able to completely control your WiFi radios remotely and it’s just a matter of time before they turn it back on again. You being paranoid about it is detrimental only to your own health because they have got it signed from you as a contract in which you have agreed to let them use “their FTTH assets” which are simply in your custody without your explicit consent in future.

They are able to completely control your WiFi radios remotely and it’s just a matter of time before they turn it back on again. You being paranoid about it is detrimental only to your own health because they have got it signed from you as a contract in which you have agreed to let them use “their FTTH assets” which are simply in your custody without your explicit consent in future.
right! This is a temporary fix.
The other options would be to arrange visit again and make them shut off those channels again and again.
2) DMZ via another dual band router and putting jio router in a faraday cage (and spend around 3k in these equipments!)
3)Switchback to local isp with rudimentary GPON box setup.

In your experience airtel or any other isp is also doing this hidden ssid business right now or plans to in near future like JIO unlicensed LTE plan?

Like @shashankb mentioned, either rip open the thing and take off the WiFi modem, or at least the antennae if the wifi modem is integrated.

Or else Faraday cage with your own WiFi AP. You'll be behind double NAT but better than nothing.

For those still wondering about the hidden SSID. Here goes JioFiber – Detail

"The Company shall have the right to share FTTH Assets with its affiliates, third parties and other customers in any manner whatsoever, for which no separate consent shall be required."

So in case they use those hidden SSIDs (aka running on "their" FTTH Assets which they have detailed earlier in the document) for purpose they see fit, such as creating a mesh network with nearby residences, creating public hotspots and all of this using your electricity and resources, you have already agreed to their T&C and consented them doing all this. There is a part somewhere in the document which states "The Recipient shall ensure the safety and security of the FTTH Assets and the Service Equipment at the Premises and provide uninterrupted power supply" haha. Be ready to keep the power on if they enforce the document 😛. As far as I remember, Comcast try to pull something similar in the US at one point. There is a reason why they force their "Assets" on you instead of letting you purchase your own ONT. There is a reason they block incoming ports so that you explicitly use only their provided Smart / CCTV big brother solutions. There is a reason they do not let you bridge to turn the ONT Transparent at their end bypassing TR-069. Welcome to their Walled Garden 🙂 .

I am no lawyer, but would like to add here that the same T&C mentions the hardware equipment (cables, switches, access point) as the "FTTH assets", which does not include the internet service they are providing. They can't share your internet connection/bandwidth with the affiliates/third parties under this clause.

Also, I just got new JioFiber connection (I have the blue router) and for some reason, there are no hidden SSIDs active from this router. I checked with Wifi-Analyzer on android. My 2 SSIDs (one 2.4GHz and other 5GHz) are enabled and active though. Does this only occur when these are disabled? Or have they changed it?

I am also not seeing any hidden SSID. I can see 2 SSID which I have configured for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz against Router "Shenzhen Sky".

to Disable Wifi completely..
in router configuration page.., click search button..
search for "wifi"
you will get "Advanced >> WiFi Configuration"
just Disable & click Save.

Guys, found the solution :- This worked for me rather

Simply Disable the mesh option under Status :--> Mesh Configuration

*I don't use Jio, tried this at my relative's home and it worked