Reliance Jio Fiber Router are broadcasting hidden SSID even when Wi-Fi is disabled

• Thread starter Thread starter f3rmion
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 97
  • Views Views 40,330
One more thing I seem to can't turn off is "DMS server" I don't want this dumb router to be serving any content on my network, but unable to turn that feature off.

I had that issue too, I was trying to disable it myself but couldn’t. But to my surprise Jio disabled it on my router few days back on their own, I found it by chance.

Yeah even i see that DMS is off

Just an update, I did changed the settings to lower the power usage of WiFi, both at 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies, selecting the channel which would not interfere, and it worked as well, but now, what I see is, instead of single 2.4 and single 5 GHz hidden SSIDs, there are two 2.4 GHz and two 5 GHz hidden SSIDs broadcasting from this modem. Anyone else having the same issue after making changes as @fibergrid suggested?

I did restarted the router as well as my laptop and mobile, to ensure that it wasn't because of some cache.

About DMS server, its still "ON" on my router and I still can't turn it "OFF".

For peace of mind, I was thinking of making use of Security->Firewall->Client Access Control, to add MAC addresses of certain devices, as whitelist that can connect to this router(particularly my load balancer and my laptop in case I need to debug something) but I can't seem to be able to edit the list. Also, any device that connects to the router, gets added to the list automatically. So I guess, this option is no good at all.

Just an update, I did changed the settings to lower the power usage of WiFi, both at 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies, selecting the channel which would not interfere, and it worked as well, but now, what I see is, instead of single 2.4 and single 5 GHz hidden SSIDs, there are two 2.4 GHz and two 5 GHz hidden SSIDs broadcasting from this modem. Anyone else having the same issue after making changes as @fibergrid suggested?

I have this issue too .... sometime I see 1 or 2 hidden ssids other time it might be 4

but 4 were the maximum hidden ssids I have ever seen thats I am sure.

You wont be able to turn off DMS Server from your end. Thats upto Jio’s mercy 😆

I am running Jio ONT with DMZ on and all my routing is done by my EdgeRouter.

There is one trick you all can use ... lower down the transmit power and change the channel on Jio ONT

Steps:

Open Jio ONT >> Type Basic in search bar at top right corner
You will get two results for “Basic Configuration 2ghz” and “5ghz” which are hidden otherwise ... open them and change the settings to your need.

I changed the channel and turned down the transmit power to lowest possible, it has helped me.
Thanks a lot for sharing this. I set the lowest power for both 2GHz and 5GHz and now I can see much degraded range for HiddenSSID. Something better than nothing.

It seems, there's no option to turn off the wireless radios entirely on this router. It just allows to disable the user WiFi profiles.

The fact that it is broadcasting Hidden SSIDs could be a potential threat. I don't think it could be a bug but seems an intentional setup. May be they want technical support team to connect with the router via Hidden SSID for troubleshooting? Anyhow it worries me that someone can connect to my router. (Although like many have mentioned here, I use this router as just a gateway to my home network. So none of my devices would be visible even if someone logins to router.)

I'm not sure if this helps or not but I see default profiles in Network -> Wireless -> Profiles named Jio_1 to Jio_6. Three for 2GHz and three for 5GHz. Out of total six only four are available on MyJio app. Also I briefly noticed, while router was booting up, that it was broadcasting SSID as Jio_3 instead of HiddenSSID right away. So I just thought to change the default password from all listed profiles 🙂.

Looks like a Faraday Cage is the only solution here (Wrap the router in a wire mesh and connect the mesh to ground. This would be the typical steel mesh that is used on Windows).

I dont use jio, found modem router broadcasting hidden and open wifi. Changed broadcast ssid option off and then turned on. Did reboot after each. Hidden wifi stopped then. I did previously turned off ssid broadcast earlier, after enabling broadcast ssid too, it was still broadcasted hidden wili

Last edited:
For those still wondering about the hidden SSID. Here goes JioFiber – Detail

"The Company shall have the right to share FTTH Assets with its affiliates, third parties and other customers in any manner whatsoever, for which no separate consent shall be required."

So in case they use those hidden SSIDs (aka running on "their" FTTH Assets which they have detailed earlier in the document) for purpose they see fit, such as creating a mesh network with nearby residences, creating public hotspots and all of this using your electricity and resources, you have already agreed to their T&C and consented them doing all this. There is a part somewhere in the document which states "The Recipient shall ensure the safety and security of the FTTH Assets and the Service Equipment at the Premises and provide uninterrupted power supply" haha. Be ready to keep the power on if they enforce the document 😛. As far as I remember, Comcast try to pull something similar in the US at one point. There is a reason why they force their "Assets" on you instead of letting you purchase your own ONT. There is a reason they block incoming ports so that you explicitly use only their provided Smart / CCTV big brother solutions. There is a reason they do not let you bridge to turn the ONT Transparent at their end bypassing TR-069. Welcome to their Walled Garden 🙂 .

Last edited:
Duh Walled Garden.

Just let them become a little more big...and you will soon have hardware bypasses on the market ready...

Just let them become a little more big...and you will soon have hardware bypasses on the market ready...
Jio would still have to provide the credentials right ? It is still a monopoly unless they decide to make it vendor independent and they wont do that
Can you elaborate on the hardware bypass ?🙂

@shashankb : It has been my experiences that when hardware related things become big has certain restriction which people want to bypass...it happens for e.g. PlayStation, VSNL old modem(which people hacked to get more speed in 56Kbits era)

You either need to abide your time or...
Open up the ONT , it is based on cheapest of ARM processors and I'm damn sure when these things are made they make them secure enough to not be bypassed by common person who can access 192.168.1.1 but not secure enough to be bypassed by person who can open and look inside the ONT to save the development cost 😛 (sad reality of software world)...so it just matter of time somebody takes a look inside ONT which will happen sooner or later.

If you want pointers: look into DEF CON 22 talks about TR069 stuff(very old 2010 stuff but TR069 exploits weer used a lot by Mirai botnet a few years back) or have your day with JTAGs and other stuff to play directly at hardware level...or if you pragmatic search for android vulnerabilities for the given version of android on ONT

GUYS IMPORTANT UPDATE ---

Source

I struggled with the hidden ssid issue myself and tried everything but those hidden ssids were still broadcasted.

BUT since last 4 days i made complaint and followed up , so ...
THIS IS THE FIX

STEP 1 --- Contact jiocare and make them to arrange a complaint as hidden ssid issue/router device issue AND ARRANGE AN ENGINEER VISIT . DON'T waste your time trying to explain to them the issue, they are dumb and won't understand anyway.

STEP 2--- When the engg arives, show him the hidden ssids being broadcasted in any phone app like ''WIFI ANALYZER/WIFI MAN''
He will tell you that its normal and other BS. You need to be persistent.PUT PRESSURE ON HIM AND HIS SENIORS. Thats the only way they work!!

Next, MOST IMPORTANT is to make him contact 😍JIO DEVICES TEAM😍 by call via his phone . Those guys talk to the engineer via backend and turn off the hidden ssids THEMSELVES. It took about 1.5 hrs and he was constantly in touch with them on call and working on his laptop.

i asked the jio devices team person to guide me how to do it manually from my side ,but they said it can only be done via their side😒🙄🙄🙄🙄

also, if i hard reset the router ,i will have to call the same engineer again and repeat.

SEE THE PICS. HOPE THIS HELPS AND WORKS FOR ALL YOU GREAT PEOPLE IN HERE AND OUTSIDE as its a major security and HEALTH risk to beam sooo many hidden ssids at once.

Last edited by a moderator: